Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Puffer out of scrap.  (Read 8939 times)

ronkh

Puffer out of scrap.
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:47:54 am »

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this (a moderator will sort it out I'm sure!!) or even if anyone is interested, but I thought I would post this short build none the less.
A couple of weeks ago, I was at a small loss as to what I could do while in the "boat shed" (garage). I was trying to come up with a couple of ideas for a springer hull that I have (care of Craftysod who has since made me another one) and while looking through here, I saw Martin's build of a Puffer and the idea of making a Puffer came to mind! I thought I would make it the same size as a drawing from the web and the length is 10.75" x 8.125" x 2.375".
Unfortunately, I only took photos of the start and the end. The reason for this is that I was at a loss at work. It is seasonal work and though we are not meant to do any outside work there, I was able to find a quiet corner and make what you see! Cameras are not allowed.
The frame is cut from 1.5m/m ply (from scrap box) and there are 17 bulkheads. All the rest is made up from scrap wood out of the box, the fittings are either made up or, as in the fairings and bollards, from the spare box. Apart from the rubbing strakes, the boat is finished.
Hope you like it!

Ron.

ronkh

Re: Puffer out of scrap.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:50:22 am »

Last of the frame shots.

ronkh

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:01:28 am »

I did not take much care when building as any knocks, scuffs etc I thought would help towards a sort of weathering/working effect.
I have still to make up a propeller for it and then that is it for now.
My hands are a bit too big for too much of this small work.

Ron.

ronkh

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:06:09 am »

That's it. I want to make a bigger scale Puffer as one of my next builds. Then, it will be about 3 to 4 foot in length. Something to get hold off!

Ron.

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 08:55:51 am »

What a cracking little build. It really is amazing what can be done from bits of scrap!! :-)) :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 09:21:28 am »

Lovely job.

I think it is too easy to hung up on having the 'right' materials for the job. I know I do. {:-{

Your build has proved it not to vital to have the perfect materials on hand.

Thanks for posting, it inspires me to get up off my lazy butt and build. :embarrassed:

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:28:27 am »

Very nice build. An excellent demonstration of one man's scrap being another's basic material. Scale matters - sometimes

I am reminded of a time when a supplier was delivering machinery stacked on lorries separated by sheets of 8x4 half inch ply. When several dozen sheets had accumulated the delivery driver was asked to take them back. Oh no, they are just scrap!

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:32:33 am »

Very nice mate  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:25:31 am »

You've made a great little boat there. Well done.

I think this portrays the spirit of our club and the wide interest in self build. No one to tell you 'the way it should be done'. I think this is why there there is such an interest in building 'Springers'. Problem solving at the highest level. Great.  :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ronkh

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 12:20:53 pm »

Many thanks for your replies gents! Makes it all worthwhile.
Just for interest, I got the plan from the link below. Keep it in the family so to speak :-)) ok2
I know the plan says 18" long, but I did it to the size (10.75") as was printed off as it appealed to me.
Also, as there were so many different types/styles of Puffers made over the years, it is possible to incorporate bits/parts of any boats that appeal.
Oh, and I did pay out for a couple of things. The cowls at 30p each which I bought at Alford boat show.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Builds/Puffer/Part_1.htm

John C

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 02:34:02 pm »

Is there a right way to build? .......................Here's one I made earlier from stuff I had hanging around.

John C

ronkh

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

John,

No, I do not think there is a right way to build one of these.
Looking at photos from the web, books or wherever, there does not seem to be two the same. For me, making this little boat was a job of pleasure as I am sure your's was.
I also had stuff hanging around (explained earlier) which was one of the reasons for making it. Your Puffer is very nicely done and one of the things that did come up was the fact that some of the later Puffers were painted a mid-grey all over. My one was painted purely because I liked the colour scheme which was what I had handy. I am sure this would also of applied to the owners of the time.
I am glad to see that your boat gets it's bottom wet. If it is of a similar size to mine, could you tell me what sort of electronics etc, you have in it please?
I would like to build one (a small one of a similar size to what I have built) that runs on the water.
I enclose a couple of photos of it finally finished, i.e. the propeller (ply wood and dowel, being a cheapskate!), rubbing strakes, wheel and stand.

Ron.

PS. Nice pond. Gives me an idea but one that I do think that the wife would not appreciate!!

PPS. Is part of yours made from plastic or a kit?? It looks as if the superstructure is made from this.
I prefer wood.
PPPS. That was /is not a criticism. :-))

warspite

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:20:07 pm »

You could use a couple of servos to drive yours, it looks like it would fit on the deck of johnC's an atom for the rudder and a stripped down one for the engine  :} :} :}

John C

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:00:13 am »

Ron

It's all ply with a small amount of styrene used for the heads, hatcthway, water tank and winch.
Superstructure is lite ply laminated with copier paper and white glue rivets, the hold tarpaulin is a green paper towel as found in wash rooms.
I built this after putting together the Model Slipway kit for a friend, so the styrene was left over bits from that. I also prefer wood for building but I'm not averse to building onto fibreglass hulls.
My model is 2 foot long I just drew an outline onto some scrap ply and went from there, the slipway model was just too small for my liking, this allowed me to use standard servos/reciever that I already had and I based it on a war time VIC puffer hence the grey colour.
Sadly the pond is no longer with us, it got to be a chore cleaning it out some times twice a week in the summer. But it was handy for ballast trials.
I'll put up some photo's of the internals later today when I get the chance to take some.

John C

John C

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 09:33:13 am »

Photo's as promised.

ronkh

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »

John,

Many thanks for the photos.
I think that looking at your layout that I might be able to do a Puffer on a slightly bigger scale to my one.
Perhaps to the same size as yours!
Pity about your pond though. Back to the trusted bath-tub then!!

Ron.

John C

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 02:56:45 pm »

Yes you're right it is back to the bath tub, but I am tempted to get one of those kids paddling pools (or "family aquatic activity centres" as I saw one advertised recently)?

John C

LarryW

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 08:22:12 pm »

nice build ialso built a puffer out photo mount board resin coated sails nice ok cheers larry

LarryW

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 10:14:15 am »

LarryW

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 03:19:17 pm »

puffer on pool

hi martin thanks for comments my puffer is built with photo mount board which is salvaged from other past time photography the plan was free down load up north site of lochinvar clyde puffer which i scaled up x2 wich gave hull lenth of 18 inches and beam of 5 and a bit all bulk heads where photo copied and stuck to mount board  cut out jigged on to building board 6mm strips of mount boards stuck like plank on frame with pva glue the hole when dry was taken of the and given in side and out a coat fiber glass resin when cured  shaft fitted 45o motor 7 v battery pack with 15 amp esc  and rudder assembly fitted all scratch built.now 1-8 deck fitted with access hatches bulwarks added out ilka blind slates also used for deck planking all cabins and hatches measured and assembled the hole hull and and cabins was given a couple of coats of car spray primer  finsh paint was hull red  above matt black cabin  wheel house hand painted and grimed up all bits deck clutter was scratch built out of gathered skip fodder build time was a bout a month it sail well and its water tight i enjoyed the build as new boy boat modeling mayhem is big help i hope this helps yuo cheers larry

rathikrishna

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 01:42:33 pm »

Sir..its an amazing job...because i love puffers...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.