Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawing deck planking.  (Read 3982 times)

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
Drawing deck planking.
« on: October 16, 2006, 11:16:36 am »

Need to draw some plank lines on what will be a wood finished deck. Will need to space at about 8mm. I was going to do in pencil them apply coat of clear epoxy resin as I have for the hull (give a great finish and very durable) anyone got any advice?? Is pencil OK or shall I be brave and try and score the lines into the surface of the wood...

Thanks in advance.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Drawing deck planking.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 12:34:06 pm »

Zetec,
Is the deck one piece ply.
If it is you can still see the grain through if you varnish.
On my smaller models I paint the deck to hide the grain then pencil in the planks.
I use a 2B pencil but if you do remember to keep it sharp.
If you make a mistake, just paint over and do again.
When it is to your liking blow off any graphite and then varnish.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 12:42:05 pm »

...I paint the deck to hide the grain then pencil in the planks...When it is to your liking blow off any graphite and then varnish.

I wish I had done that.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 12:55:17 pm »

8mm planking is not all that thin a strip, so why not just plank it like it should be....>

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 02:00:24 pm »

This is my planked deck on a steam launch hull, honduran mahogany and lemon wood, available from Modelling timbers. http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk.
The planing and cutting is so accurate you can't got wrong, I can highly recomend this company. The website is well worth a look, and he is a pleasure to do business with, I am only a satisfied customer.

Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 04:18:54 pm »

Lovely bit of decking Andy. Like you and Roy, I think anything 1:96 scale or larger should definitely be planked "properly" and I would guess an 8mm plank is going to be somewhere between 1:32 and 1:24?

Below is a photo of the yet-to-be-installed main deck for my 1:96 HMVS Cerberus. 3/32" obechi strips with insulation tape caulking.

Rick

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:36:01 pm »

I know the pic is not very clear I will take some more but this is the planking on the deck of my Schooner........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 04:13:52 pm »

On my Thames barge I laid scale planks on a base ply deck and mixed a drop of black Humbrol enamel in with the Cascamite to achieve realistic caulking/pitching. By 'squishing the new plank up against the adjacent one it made a line of black glue which sanded down fairly easily. There was no problem with the Cascamite going off, however since Humbrol has taken them over (now Extramite) I think the formula has changed as the tin now has a very strong fishy smell that wasn't there before, so I would check it out before using on the real thing

Cheers

MikeK

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 05:12:51 pm »

Blimey chaps this is getting complicated! I have already covered part of the deck in veneer so dont fancy stripping off to start again (lession learnt for next time) and was going to follow the Veron plan as is. I must say some of your work is fantastic, well worth the effort.

I tried some pencil lines on a scrap of veneer last night but they got a bit lost when stain applied. I then tried marking the lines then scoring the pencil lines with a sharp blade a few times, then opened up the cut with a thicker penknife blade. This, when stained, showed up a lot better as the cuts took on the stain. I suppose I have almost ended up with seperate planks, its just they have been cut from the sheet after sticking down!

I'm going to stain again tonight then give them a coat of epoxy resin and see how it turns out.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 06:18:57 pm »

You might try rubbing down a bit after the stain is dry to help make the "caulking" stand out. Don't epoxy over until you are happy with it as there's no going back after that!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.