Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Lord Sugar??"  (Read 4314 times)

FullLeatherJacket

"Lord Sugar??"
« on: June 07, 2009, 05:53:54 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8087648.stm

"Help small businesses"?? Who is he kidding? I think our revered PM has finally lost any tenuous grasp he may have had on the real world with this appointment.

I don't think this jumped-up little herbert has anything to show me about being a bully or how to be insufferably rude and intolerant or the fine art of humiliating decent folk. After all, I was  a VAT Inspector for 31 years.............  :o  (Gizza job! I can do that!)

............and have you seen those two Harpies who've got to the Final of his jaw-droppingly-awful ego-fest?

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

FLJ

(Wouldn't mind a blast round the block at the wheel of his Roller though.........)

Roger in France

Re: "Lord Sugar??"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:55:01 pm »

I could not agree more with FLJ, "Sugar" gives me a very sour taste in my mouth.

When I was working in the UK I was connected with an organisation which was supposed to support and encourage medium and small businesses. Most of those who offered help did not have a clue what it was like to run a small business. "Do this", "Do that", "Take time to do the other". When and where did they think small businesses delivered a service to customers?

When I think of some of the bankers, finance houses and captains of industry who thought they had something to give to small businesses I had to laugh/cry as they sat in their plush offices, surrounded by support mechanisms and with little direct contact with customers or the rough and tumble of the market place.

Roger in France

OMK

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:59:24 pm »

Wouldn't it have been brilliant if they had the sense to hire Clive Sinclair.

As for the 'ego-fest'.... Pretty much sums up what it really is all about.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »

Is there anyone you guys like  %%

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »

The BBC has told him to make a choice , either he accepts the Peerage and cancels his contract with the Beeb ( conflict of interest and all that , politics and "impartial broadcasting" do not mix ) or refuses the peerage and continues his TV show.

I hope he takes the peerage and gets his bullying torn faced egomaniac butt off our TV !!!
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 08:46:13 pm »

'evening all,

What I can't understand is how Lord Sugar (did you ever hear such a daft monika)?  suddenly became such a revered business magnate?  Wasn't this the guy who used to flog the old Amstrad computer, and later a telephone gizmo that looked like you needed a degree in Star Trek to operate it? (I have had no personal experience of these items)...

Is his fame and fortune due to his (presumably now ended) Apprentice TV series?  Some people make their money very easily.

As for Rollers, they're ten a penny up here in Cheshire - they used to make 'em just down the road from here before we gave them to the Germans.  There's more of them per head of population in this County than in any other place on earth, mostly because the Manchester United team and other over-paid and under-worked souls live here.  Unfortunately, a) my garage is too short to accomodate one, b) apart from that, it's full of injection moulding machines, lathes and mills etc. c) more critically, I can't afford one, and d) I wouldn't have one even if I could.

Having said all of that, I didn't vote for Lord 'elp us, (or Gordon Brown for that matter), how come he's now in the Government?

Malc

Zed.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:55:54 pm »

is it possible that "Lord Sugar" became a lord in return for 'our beloved PM' getting a job after he looses his current one? O0

maybe I am reading between the lines %)

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:34:14 pm »

more critically, I can't afford one
ohhh, you could, malcolm..........they're cheep as chips second hand these days and twice as vulgar..............no sane person really wants one, that's why. {-) {-) {-) {-)
you're better off with a decent nissan or ford. less depreciation. O0 O0 O0
neil.

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 10:47:51 pm »

I try not to do 'vulgar'...

I've never had a Nissan, but did have eight Ford Mundanos in succession.  The best one was an ST24 V6.

Malc

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:57:01 pm »

Only people who believe in the class system will call him LORD  >>:-( {-) {-). I don't call any one sir or lord just use there name since that is what they are call.
AS for A . sugar being a business tycoon well I head some good jokes. Did Amsterdam computer fold or were are they now mmm . Oh well bit of spin and any one can make a TV show that HONESTLY dsesn't distort the truth well  may be a wee bit.

John

Albion

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 04:07:12 am »

Not living in UK right now i havent seen the uk show, but Sugar has worked damm hard for his money. Before the computers there was stereo's etc. and before that he bought and sold anything. Sugar started with nothing and dragged himself up, Alan Michael Sugar Trading (Amstrad), might have had a reputation for being at the low end but he went for a specific market and met the needs.  He has also adapted and changed his market place to suit. how many other companies have failed to evolve and got stuck. Love him or hate him , you really cant fault his ability to grow a business

OMK

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:40:19 am »

"Love him or hate him , you really cant fault his ability to grow a business."

Well, ten out of ten for presenting a fine argument, but in Sugar's case did he really get where is he is by fair means and hard slog? Would it be fair to say that maybe he only got there by luck?... and lots of it?
For my part, I'm still amazed whenever I see, say, a stereo system with an Amstrad badge. I use the word not lightly, because, if ever you get to see the innards of any of his products, the quality is nothing short of second-rate tat -- especially when you compare it with other (British) products of the day, with much better all-round engineering. I'm amazed that the British public fell for it, amazed that Sugar has got away with it for so long.
I think it's safe to say that he didn't get there through either hard work nor quality workmanship. And probably safe to say he simply jumped on the bandwagon, in the right place at the right time, so to speak.
That same second-rate workmanship of his also tells quite a lot about his character, don't you think?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 05:16:34 am »

is it possible that "Lord Sugar" became a lord in return for 'our beloved PM' getting a job after he looses his current one? O0

maybe I am reading between the lines %)

Dunno, but I would love to Gordon on The Apprentice
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

nhp651

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 10:43:51 am »

Dunno, but I would love to Gordon on The Apprentice

He'd be gone first week for dithering....he's dithered the past 12 years.......wouldn't stop on that show./ {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »

I Like him , think he is a great caracter , if it was not for his cheap and initiative products the stuff we take for granted now would be a lot dearer , plus I made a bag load of commision    :-)) selling his products when I worked at Currys back in the 80's.. and to be honest we (our shop) did not have that many returns..  We had far more ZX  spectrums back than his pc's.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 01:45:05 pm »

Hi Long build, I agree with you, he has done well.  I think the remarks earlier about him 'bullying' ,are a reaction to the over hyped opinions that several of the apprentice contestants had of themselves.
 I had a very small part in graduate training programmes and some of the people coming through would make you cringe on the other hand there were some very good and able young people as well.

I enjoyed the show and the best girl won.

With reference to Sir Clive. I am retired now but do remember when Sir Clive Sinclair worked on a new product for the computer company I worked for.

The feed back I heard was that he was always changing the spec and it was finished without him.
The product was ahead of its' time a combined PC with keyboard and screen and phone with a thermal printer.

It was aimed at middle management, unfortunately 90% of the target market could not type!  They had secretarys to do that!

B.T. bought a warehouse full and I were going to call the product 'Tonto', this went down well as it is Spanish for stupid!

But no worse than my company's' computer disc device known here as FEDS (fixed exchangeable disc system).  Unfortunately Feds had quite different connotations in Australia being associated with intimate feminine products.

Then there was the C5.....

Regards to all Roy

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 03:43:45 pm »

B.T. bought a warehouse full and were going to call the product 'Tonto', this went down well as it is Spanish for stupid!

I seem to remember that HM Customs and Excise bought the job-lot from BT, still called "Tonto". It was very appropriate for the middle managers who were given them....tonto to a man.

Ref The saintly Lawd Shuggy, you can't knock his abillity to build up a business - but you also could say that about Trump, Getty, Ford and Rachman.
O yes - he's certainly a character, but so were Saddam Hussein, Joseph Stalin and George W Bush.
My opinion of him wasn't based on his TV show or the mewling of the pushy little nonentities who line up to be humiliated on it. I've heard many stories about Shuggy through my business contacts (official and private) and I heard him braying about his "achievements" on Desert Island Discs not long ago. I had to switch off.
I see now he's being told that he should stand down from his BBC job - I guess if he's going to work for PM GB then he ought to know how it feels to be universally unpopular!

FLJ

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 07:15:03 pm »

Is there anyone you guys like  %%
I guess Branson comes closest....but even then I have my doubts. But like him or loathe him, Sugar has climbed the tree that few of us would attempt in the first place. So I suppose it's in either the Genes or a desire to get out of the "class" you were born into and "improve" yourself. Seldom heard nowadays is the old maxim "Rags to Riches to Rags in 3 generations"....surprising how often that is true! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 07:32:04 pm »

I see now he's being told that he should stand down from his BBC job -
Thats just then boy camerooon and the tories wingeing about ??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8087648.stm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.