Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of the line  (Read 3929 times)

MCR

End of the line
« on: June 07, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »

A new movie has highlighted the world problem caused by over fishing. The following from the movie web site outlines the arguments:

"We need to control fishing by reducing the number of fishing boats across the world, protect large areas of the ocean through a network of marine reserves off limits to fishing, and educate consumers that they have a choice by purchasing fish from independently certified sustainable fisheries."

It clearly outlines the failures of EU fishing policies and recognises that fish quotas are a waste of time.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: End of the line
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:09:13 pm »

The book first came out 6 years ago and is based on "data" that is between 10-15 years old. The whole analysis this guy puts on fishing is wrong and so severely biased that its beyond being laughable.

Take the Scottish fleet of 15 years ago , 3 times the amount of whitefish boats , double the amount of prawn trawlers than today. The whitefish fleet also had more days per year to fish than now as well. Taking everything into account the whitefish effort in the North Sea is only 25-30% of the levels of 15 years ago , the prawn fleet is at 40-50% of the levels of 15 years ago so overall with the much larger net mesh sizes ( including having large square mesh escape panels to allow immature fish to get out of the net alive ) and less days at sea per year the overall effect today is that effort is about 30% of the levels 15 years ago.

I could go on and on and on about how biased and unscientific the fishery research is ( I was one of the scientists from 1990-1999 at Aberdeens Marine Lab ) as I have in the past but I'm sure if you search you'll find it on here lol

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 07:43:09 pm »

A new movie has highlighted the world problem caused by over fishing. The following from the movie web site outlines the arguments:

"We need to control fishing by reducing the number of fishing boats across the world, protect large areas of the ocean through a network of marine reserves off limits to fishing, and educate consumers that they have a choice by purchasing fish from independently certified sustainable fisheries."

It clearly outlines the failures of EU fishing policies and recognises that fish quotas are a waste of time.

whats the film called and the name of the book

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 07:45:58 pm »

Its called "End of the Line" Brian
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 07:49:03 pm »

is the film out on dvd or still on release at the cinema

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »

Just coming out in the cinema from Monday I think. The basis for the book is the Mediterranean Tuna fishery , which really is in a dire state ( 120m long purse seiners with their own helicopter anyone... ) but he extrapolates a single very very badly run fishery into everything else. I guess he's a card carrying member of Greenpeace as most of the quotes and "science" he gives out is pretty much identical to theirs ( which is based on 10-15 year old data ... )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 10:09:47 am »

Dear All,

If there is one thing that gets me, it's these wretched Countries that industrially/ commercially catch whales under the guise of so called 'scientific research'. We all know what they are up to, and they know we know what we are up to, and they know that nothing will be done about it... apart from the occasional disgruntled complaints... and so it goes on.

If British waters were fished solely by British boats then fine, but when I see 'others' coming in it does make my hackles rise a bit. There is another side: whilst I realise that British fishermen must get the best price for their catch, it is rather a shame that so much of the GB catch seems to be sold into Europe and not distributed within GB.

Regards, Bernard

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 10:34:43 am »

If British waters were fished solely by British boats then fine, but when I see 'others' coming in it does make my hackles rise a bit. There is another side: whilst I realise that British fishermen must get the best price for their catch, it is rather a shame that so much of the GB catch seems to be sold into Europe and not distributed within GB.

Those who voted for entry into Europe in the original 'Common Market' referendum have no right to complain.  It was always on the cards that the UK fishing industry, amongst other industries, would be systematically ruined by the UK's association with Europe.  I voted against entry, and despite always having been a natural Conservative, I sincerely hope that Ted Heath is slowly roasting in the fires of Hell for what he did to our country.

Malc

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 10:38:55 am »

Malc, I agree totally.
and if we had a referendum in this country to stay put or pull out, I know where my money would be backing. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:09:07 am »

Dear All,

If I am right in my facts, doesn't something like £40M a week go out of GB to Brussels? If I am right in the latter, £40M extra spending in GB per week would put quite a lot of things on an even keel. I have heard good argument for remaining in the EU I have to say, and also for getting out, but I have yet to see a concrete figure of what the end cost to GB is to being part of it... all sorts of things in GB do seem to get quite a bit of EU funding. I am not happy with it overall now I must say, though it must be said that the principal of the Common Market was a good one. As to the Euro, well, that's another matter... ok, we all like the £ and are loathed to be parted from it... me for one.

Anyway, we digress from the Topic. As to fishing, well, it is just one of the indiginous industries that has suffered (more than some probably). As to some of the ludicrous rules and regs., well, this could all surely be sorted out between the Industry, DEFRA, and the formal conservation people. Trying to operate a fishing trawler and keep it paying must be very stressful and very hard work. I take my hat off to these people.

Regards, Bernard

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:47:53 am »

well, this could all surely be sorted out between the Industry, DEFRA, and the formal conservation people.

Bernard
I think any trawler owner would tell you that the Industry, DEFRA and the formal conservation people have no say at all in the matter - it's all organised from Brussels, and is a systematic plan to destroy the UK fishing industry, although nobody seems to have the bottle to say so openly.

Malc

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:00:09 pm »

Dear Malc,

I think what you say is true. The same thing happened to British farming don't forget... it was a significant and powerful entity, and was looked at with envious eyes from across the Channel... but, some wanted to break it, and of course they did.

Regards, Bernard

farrow

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:47:51 pm »

I have read your arguments and in many cases I do not dispute what you say, though I still believe that a lot of the problem lies with with our con men in Parliament, in not having the bottle to protect our guys in subterfuge ways as do the French/Dutch/Belgum/Danish and German governments do in underhand methods in tax allowances etc. I used to work in the Home Trade coasters when Teddy boy came to power and saw how it was destroyed by Continental interests, when before we joined the German coastal fleet was being tied up and handed over to the Banks through default on loans etc., look how they recovered when we joined.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 08:53:35 am »

£40,000,000/week eh? Well, if simple arithmatic be applied, thats... £2080, 000,000/year, add to that the costs of keeping our MEPs in the manner to which they have become accostomed. If we were shocked by the sums of their expenses, it seems small beer to the cost of belonging the the EU.
Apart from the fishing industry, which has been hacked to death by EU rulings,ou also have to add to all this the costs to British industry and can only stand back and look in horror as many British idustries have been seen to dissappear for countless reasons or have been bought up by foriegn companies.
Again, look at the loading open door immigration policies have placed upon the nation with soaring costs to the NHS, thats scary.
The rulings from Brussels have in most parts not been seen to truly benefit this Nation
I can't help but get the feeling we should be 'outta there' as £2 bn quid would go a hell of a long way to help re-build our idustries and benefit our nation in a way the Eu seemingly fails to do.
Not an expert of course and I expect some more well informed than I will shout me down and prove me wrong, but I think I sound like the fairly average man on the street in this regard.
Only 35% of the population turned out to vote recently, what does that tell you about the Brits, a tad apathetic perhaps?
I think pathetic would be a better and more apt way of describing it and if we don't get off our backsides and vote, we deserve everything we get.
As a nation we can't moan if we just sit back and say "I didn't vote, there was no point"! That was a remark I heard loads of times after the elections and it appears , from the figures, the majority of brits couldn't care less... they just like moaning!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 04:19:58 pm »

Sadly Sheerline your points of reasoned argument don't always suggest an easy answer, cos there ain't one  :(( A Common Fishing policy only works if all the participants sing from the same hymn sheet? The Immigrant problem can only be solved providing that the idiots that devised it scrap the Minimum wage, cos We?? won't work for less than what the figures say we Should do? Home Industries closing?? Could this be because Joe Public wants to gloat how little he paid for whatever that's been scrapped here, exported and been sent back as finished goods Soooo much cheaper than We can make it for??  Whatever party you vote for, make sure you don't vote for the Wrong one.

I don't have the answers mate, and unfortunately, although common sense should prevail, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It does however make one a bit vexed when you see good food being thrown over the side cos it ain't the type we were fishing for and then go buy "Fish and Finnerks" at the inflated price of what used to be one of our staple diets.

Having said that, have you seen the waste food thrown out by the local Supermarket because it's past its Sell by date??? Then again, have you seen the amount of food We as a nation waste??

Regards  Ian.   >:-o
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »

I have no wish to stir things up, nor do I want to get embroiled in a slanging match. But there is a point that is missing.
Although many of the UK fishing industries troubles have been caused by short sighted politicians of all nationalities going back to at least the not lamented Ted Heath, some of the results we now live with were caused by those in the fishing industry itself.  When the Spaniards, French, German or whoever bought the rights to fish in "our" waters they had to buy the rights from the British owners of those rights. In other words, they took the money and ran. I'm not coming down on one side or the other (in public), but there is more to the earlier statements/ postings than pure political shenanigans. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 10:36:47 pm »

Interesting is it not? Who suffers? Who benefits? Got it in one.
A bit like Union "leaders" I suppose.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.