Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluenose Schooner  (Read 5258 times)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Bluenose Schooner
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:35:50 pm »

I have started building a Bluenose Schooner, and was wondering if any one can offer any advice on the side stays, and any other general information as I cannot find out much over here,Pic 1, this is what it is supposed to look like, Pic 2&3 is where I am up to, I have also finished all the masts and booms.....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: Bluenose Schooner
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 01:52:51 pm »

Hello Roy,
In this thread "Schooner Sailing Event" are photos of my Schooner.
Is your Schooner RC ? or static?.
Have a look at  www.john-dowd.co.uk.
There is a report on how my Schooner was made.
Cheers,
 John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:32:51 pm »

Thank you for that John very informative mate, I have saved it for further reference........

Roy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 09:45:17 am »

Looking good Roy keep us posted on your progress,what wood did you use to build the hull?.I dont know when ill get started on mine ive still got a gas mono in the pipeline  :o.any details you care to share would be very welcome  ;).
mart

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:12:36 am »

The hull is made in redwood, with the water line and deck in cypress pine, the redwood is extremely hard and will need steaming to bend it and the cypress is pine soft and easy...
I have now in place all 41 mast stays, and I am attaching the sails.......

Roy

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 11:49:40 am »

Hello Roy,

Very pleased to hear you are making good progress, but we NEED pictures ! ! ! ! !.
You need them almost as much as we do, to show folks how the boat was made.

JayDee.  ;)  ;)  ;)
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 02:49:41 pm »

you beat me to it John ,yes we need pics and how come you didnt start at the beginning lol?.i think ill be using balsa for mine and glass cloth i have lots of oak and some birch but im not sure i fancy cutting it to size and steaming it all.balsa is quick and light .should be ok when i glass it all.i saw johns site on his build and it looks pretty easy to do the foam block build too.who knows i might have a go at doing it that way.i guess im a bit lazy these days lol i was a boat builder by trade after leaving school all that bending planks when they came out of the steamer  was hard work i can tell you.keep up the good work mate and get them pics done.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 01:45:45 pm »

...i think ill be using balsa for mine and glass cloth...balsa is quick and light .should be ok when i glass it all.

I am thinking of using balsa too, but have no knowledge of glassing.
So for a complete dummy, what do you do?
Do you glass the inside, outside or what?

Is there a thread on this?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 05:22:39 pm »

hi all you do is get yourself some cloth not matting i use very lite cloth they use on model planes.its not expensive and all you need is polyester resin and catalyst.once the hulls sanded get your cloth lay it over the outside of the hull and apply the resin let it dry and you can apply as many layers of cloth as you need i used only one of 126G and it was fine.once its dry you can apply more resin if you think it needs it.once you get a shiny smooth finnish its ready to sand to get rid of any bumps.try this site for you stuff they are exellent they also have a few instructions on the site on how to do it.go to project information and take a look.heres the link i put it  to the page of the cloth i used for it you could also go a little heavier if you prefer.i used this 126 g cloth on my sailboat 34 inches long but they have thicker heavier cloth that may be more suitable.it goes on easy stretches like a stocking over the hull as you go so no creases at all .http://http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/linear-meter-glass-glassfibre-cloth-126g-p-383.html

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 01:57:17 pm »

Tiger,

I usually just use resin on the inside as any water that does eventually get through the outside still has no where to go, depending on what you build out of and this includes thickness you can either cloth and resin the outside or just resin, if you use balsa to build a hull and you plank it if the planks are 2mm thick use the cloth but if you use 5mm, resin, without the cloth as the timber thickness plus resin will be quite strong.
I have a marblehead that is four years old and is only 1.6mm balsa sheet on frames and done with resin only and there is still no leaks or any other problem with the hull....

Roy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 07:39:29 pm »

if you just use resin watch out for other boats or more importantly the concrete sides of the pond ;).i think even the thinest cloth would be a good idea for a big  boat like a schooner.

yachtman21

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 07:50:24 pm »

I have started building a Bluenose Schooner, and was wondering if any one can offer any advice on the side stays, and any other general information as I cannot find out much over here,Pic 1, this is what it is supposed to look like, Pic 2&3 is where I am up to, I have also finished all the masts and booms.....

Roy
The side stays on a schooer I saw at a show were made of brass and paint matt black.
To look like black metal straps fitted to the hull with large bolts. bent over into a loop so the rigging threaded through them.
And can you tell me? Where you got your plans from.
          Thanking you.
                               Gordon Winspear.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 08:35:10 pm »

I have just seen this thread, so am prob too late.

I scratch built a similar grand banks schooner a few years ago. I did it bread and butter - heavy solid hull, epoxied for waterproofing.

The main advantage of that method was that the hull only required a couple of pounds of lead baLLAST WHICH I INCORPORATED INTO THE KEEL. THUS RETAINING THE CORRECT UNDERWATER PROFILE.  oops sos capital mistake!

She sails fine, if a little sensitive to highish winds, but removal of the topsails would sort that if I was inclined.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.