Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC set up for trent lifeboat  (Read 5060 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
ESC set up for trent lifeboat
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:14:56 pm »

Hi, I have just been given a model slipway RNLI Trent lifeboat (1:16). It has 2 motors (not sure of make) and 2 electronize type 43HX speed controllers but i have to install a radio.

I was wondering if it is possible to instead of having differential steering can i just connect the esc's to a Y lead and into a single channel on the radio so that they work off of 1 channel instead of 2.

Also at the moment the boat is wired so that the esc's and receiver run off of a seperate battery pack connected to the receiver,
if i was to install a BEC receiver will it work eliminating the extra battery pack without rewiring what i already have,

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am pretty much completely useless when it comes to electrics,

NEED HELP ASAP!!!!

Thanks,
Grant  :) :) :)

Aston

Re: ESC set up for trent lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 10:15:38 pm »

Hi Grant,  you can indeed use a Y lead to plug both ESC's into the receiver and so use a two channel set.  the radio battery idea is a none starter  :-\

BEC indicates that the receiver can accept a power input from a speed controller of the right type ( Electonise are not) through a socket other than the one marked for battery.  what it does is to fire the power + and - from an output section of the speed controller to the refceiver, and the third "signal wire" brings the control signal back to the ESC.

Electronise are cracking speed controllers, but you will have to carry on using a battery for the receiver.  Incidentaly, one of our members was in the local £1 shop at the weekend and they were selling packs of 4 AA size Nicads, 800mAh for - you guessed it, £1   :o

One thing you could try adding if you want the boat to turn a little tighter while still only using two channels is to connect a pair of microswitches to the rudder servo and use them to switch off the inside motor on turns.  My old mum ( 77 and still building and sailing  :o ) has these in two of her twin screw models - Waveney class Lifeboat and "Lochmor" Scottish ferry - and they make a big difference.

If you want it making clearer, drop me a PM and I will do a wiring drawing for you.

Regards

Aston

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 10:23:55 pm »

Thanks aston thats a great help it pretty much confirmed what i was thinking. Though a diagram could come in handy if you dont mind,

Thanks again, Oh and nice car by the way (guessing its yours judging by your name) i like the old vantage.

Grant :)

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:19:04 pm »

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Common/Electrics/Images/setupsA4JPG.jpg

Second diagram seems to answer your question.
Worked for me.
Suit yourself.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 09:58:33 pm »

thanks guys!

Grant :) :)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:01:25 pm »

Dont be alarmed if the motors dont act exactly the same though, especially at low revs.
The Electronizem speed controllers can be manually adjusted so might not be exactly the same.
It isnt noticeable when on a single channel for each, but is when a "Y" lead is used.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 08:33:50 am »

I think that all Electronize controllers except the FR30HX and FR40HX ARE available with BEC, but you have to specify at delivery I think, they are supplied with two spare wires which can be permanently linked or fitted with a switch. I used one of these on a tug hull of mine which had a low displcement so I didn't really want to carry the extra few ounces of reciever battery. The BEC system coped with both 12v and 6 volt operation.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Aston

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 07:07:08 pm »

yep, full leather jacket has it spot on, pretty much the same drawing I was going to send you, except that I ran both systems from one motor battery, and all worked OK   :D 

those drawings would be handy reference for anyone not too confident with "electrickery".

Aston

laserblue16

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 07:32:41 pm »

How do you get into pages like that, please.
 Chris.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 07:38:43 pm »

Go to the main Mayhem site and click on the "Technical Bits" in the side menu.  8)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

laserblue16

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:48:08 pm »

Cheers Mike, found it, looks like itis gonna save me loads of trouble. Cheers.
 Chris

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 02:11:26 pm »

Dont be alarmed if the motors dont act exactly the same though, especially at low revs...

something that is totally normal, i have 3 multi shaft boats and none of them have motors that behave the same.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.