Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the effect of changing voltage applied to a motor?  (Read 13905 times)

OMK

Re: What is the effect of changing voltage applied to a motor?
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 07:03:57 pm »

Hey, Andrew -
I think you can safely rule out inkling 'A' on account that I'd already swapped out the shaft from the good boat into the bad one -- and vice-versa (not an enjoyable job). I suppose I could have just put a new one in there, but since the shaft from the good boat worked perfectly, then there was no reason why it should not work in the bad one. It was my way of trying to illiminate each and every possible cause of the problem.
Your inkling 'B' / current surge suggestion is probably where the answer lies. But I don't have any clue as to what might be causing that surge.

As I said, the boat has become a bit of a joke. It got to the point that I started to wonder if the damn thing is possessed by some sort of boat demon.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 07:08:02 pm »

Reminds me of computer programming - you know the bug is there but you just can't see it. Then when you do find out what it was you kick yourself.

OMK

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 07:27:40 pm »

Reminds me of computer programming - you know the bug is there but you just can't see it.

Hear that!

Here's a shot taken halfway through the build. It's the one on the left which turned out to be the bad 'un.

Note to PW Havens:
I have totally hijacked your thread.
Sorry, man.

pwhavens

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2009, 04:59:17 am »

PMK, no problem.  ok2
The discussion about testing the electrical failure issue may be better served under another topic-specific subject line.

Regarding the electric motor performance curves, I invite all to check out Mabuchi Motors' web site where there is a well done explanation (with numbers, even  :}) and more.  Shipmate60 provides the link on the sticky thread "Electric Moor Classification" started by BreezyB in this section.

Mabuchi Motors technical guide: http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/technic/index.html
Performance chart page: http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US/technic/t_0201.html

P
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.