Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Nederland  (Read 7285 times)

laserblue16

Smit Nederland
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:23:34 am »

Well after 5 weeks wait for my Smit Rotterdam, i have just been informed by my local model shop( Preston model center), that the suppliers can't deliver this boat for another 4 weeks :'(. However, the proprieter has said that he will get me the Smit Nederland by this weekend,, and knock 10% off the price because of all the messing about and waiting i have had to do. All this in phone calls from P.M.C., not from me. they have kept me informed at every stage and gone out of their way to help me and i would like to take this oppurtunity to thank them..
 Now, the real reason for this post. Has anyone any experience with this boat, ie:- ease of build, any problems, best motors( i won't be entering towing comps, just want to sail it), length of time to build etc?. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.
 Chris.

laserblue16

Re: Smit Nederland
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 07:14:52 pm »

Mmmmmmm, plenty looking, no-one posting. Come on lads, help out an ignoramous, please!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 07:31:46 pm »

I haven't built one myself but I have a shed load of photos of completed ones if that any use when you start.... I have an unstarted kit amongst all the other!

Martin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 07:46:50 pm »

My mate has a Smit Nederland, it is a nice easy kit to build, (I normally build from scratch on grp hulls), it has plenty of space in the hull for all the extras, just make sure you put decent motors in it and you won't go wrong. His boat has loads of ballast, so you don't have to scrimp on weight, use battery capacity as ballast.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

laserblue16

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:32:09 pm »

Thanks Martin and ANdy. The pics would be great if you could send these to laserblue16@aol.com would be much appreciated. Andy, was thinking of graupner 720bb torque motors. Do you think these would be suitable, as i said i am not looking to tow, just to sail for pleasure.

Captain Povey

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 04:14:53 pm »

Hi There, I just posted a piece about this boat as I was lucky to find a near completed one and want to finish it off. I have contacted Billings for plans but no reply. Their site says they are putting their plans in pdf format so that maybe some help. So hows the build going now?

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:04 pm »

A good tug in general to run but dont get too upset when you try to go astern for any length of time.

My skipper had the Nedland and I had the Denmarken (same build different name) and WE could not get a straight astern movement, We are both "good" ship handlers real and model. as I said the build is a good model and there is room for lots of extras if you have the cash and time to spend.

Have fun constructing and sailing 

Richard,

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:19:28 am »

Hi Captain Povey.

I also am interested in the Rotterdam. You say you contacted their Website.

Can you let me know their web address, so that I may have a look please.

Hi Laserblue. How is your build going ?  Any pictures yet ?  Looking forward to seeing all I can about this model, as I think its a nice project

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Captain Povey

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 11:04:39 am »

Hi Ken, Thanks for the response. The website is www.billingboats.com and I see they have the Smit Rotterdam instructions in pdf format already. I tried to contact them via an email to tech@billingboats.dk but for North America it is info@billingboatsna.com. Good luck, Graham

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 12:36:10 pm »

Hi Captain Povey.

I also am interested in the Rotterdam. You say you contacted their Website.

Can you let me know their web address, so that I may have a look please.

Hi Laserblue. How is your build going ?  Any pictures yet ?  Looking forward to seeing all I can about this model, as I think its a nice project

Cheers...Ken

Hi Ken as Billings are now part of Robbe you will find it on their site too.

http://at.robbe-online.net/rims_at.storefront/464d8db1001b938e271b3e0dc146067b/UserTemplate/1/?ISID=464d8db1001b938e271b3e0dc146067b

Type 1-BB0478 in the search box.

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 01:09:13 pm »

Sorry to change the thread Chris.  Did you get the Nederland or the Rotterdam in the end ?

Thank you Graham.  I have downloaded the instruction manual for the Rotterdam and it looks great.  Quite a detailed model which looks time consuming.

Mind you, the Aziz took me  five and a half months, and it's not quite ready to show yet. It's beginning to look like the crew have been painting it with a tar brush.  :D

Thank you also, Dicky.  I went to Robbe in Germany, and found the price of 268 Euros. Am I right with the conversion that, this makes it around £174   ( one euro = 65 pence?)     ;D

I then contacted Westbourne models and Barrie says some are coming in soon and the price is expected to be around £220, so It's looking good so far.

Unfortunately, I have the Vliestroom waiting in it's box, and the 'banker' has the purse strings.   :(   

Anyone want it ?

Cheers...Ken

berto

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 09:38:35 pm »

has anyone heard any reports about the new smit rotterdam whether its worth the money

berto

Captain Povey

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 12:13:59 pm »

Hi Berto, Sorry to say I have no information on this. Cheers Graham. :(

Cabin Girl Povey

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 11:38:32 am »

I have to say Dad's Smit Nederland is looking pretty dmm good, now - since he's had so much time of work ill, he's been able to tinker to his hearts content!

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 12:42:06 pm »

Unfortunately, I have the Vliestroom waiting in it's box, and the 'banker' has the purse strings.   :(   

Anyone want it ?

Cheers...Ken

thanks for the offer ken but i have a banker already......she too controls the purse strings... dont want 2.....LOL
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Captain Povey

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 01:05:19 pm »

Well the finishing of this model is nearly complete. Mast repaired, missing parts refitted and the hull repainted after sorting out the rudders so that they now work properly. I eventually had a reply from Billings but only after I contacted Robbe. In the meantime the motors, drive couplings, speed controllers, anchor, plans, parts list and some of the paint paint were found at Cornwall model boats. The navigation lights came from Hunters. I am now about to fit the JJC sound module from Westbourne who also found the build instructions. The speaker is from RS components and if there is room I will fit in a horn sound system and another speaker. At the moment the lights and spot light work off a servo and I may be able to get the horn to work off this too. Just too tight to buy a mixer electronic switch etc. Cheers Graham

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 02:51:20 pm »

Very nice indeed Graham. They do take a time eh !!

I now have the Rotterdam, and she is just a box of wood at the moment. I hope I can build as good as you, it's very encouraging. You made her look great.

Cheers...Ken

Captain Povey

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 03:48:54 pm »

Ken, Thanks for your kind comments. I tried taking some photos of her lit up in the dark last night but when I looked at them today in daylight they were rubbish, all blurred. I must be afraid of the dark and got the shakes so I will try again tonight. I will post them tomorrow if my hand is steadier. I will also take some of the below deck workings which to the purist look like a bit of a "xxxxx"'s muddle as neat wiring is not a strong point of mine so please excuse the birds nest approach. All I will say is that so far everything works. I have not forgotten about the hatch sealing but due to illness have not been out to get the stuff from my friend. I forgot to mention before that I bought the 'anchor chain' at the Abergaveny Sunday fair. A couple of quid for a range of some old jewellry necklace  chains. They seemed a bit more to scale and in keeping with the boat than the stuff from billings. Again probably not for the purist but ok for me. Cheers Graham

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 04:06:34 pm »

Look forward to the pics.  I'm stuck here doing my Tax return, so I've got the nerves jangling and tension build up.   ;)

If you are referring to the deck seal on my Red Pelican, then I have taken a differrent approach.  I have now built in a raised deck with angle plastic so that it sits down nice and snug.  I'll put up some pictures on my little blog to show what I mean. 

Sun's out ...... so everyone outside for a suntan , quick before it goes........   ;D ;D ;D

Ken

Captain Povey

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 11:03:12 pm »

Hi Ken, Thanks for the reminder about the tax form. I have been stuck at home for for 5 weeks now and managed to forget it up until now. Here are some pictures of the SN internals and some of the lights. Sorry about the quality even a glass of wine did not steady my hand so I am blaming the camera. I shall be looking out for an update on your build now the taxman is happy. Cheers Graham

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 10:20:59 am »

Plenty of room inside, very smart layout.  I notice that you have two couplers on the Prop shafts. I've seen this before. Is there a reason, like smoother running or because the shaft is too short ?

I like your servo rotating to push a switch. Good idea this.

There is a delay on my building schedule as I have a workshop full of musical keyboards to repair for the schools. have to pay for my hobby somehow !!  ;)

Cheer...Ken

Captain Povey

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 12:06:57 pm »

Hi Ken, I was advised that the double coupler gives more room for misalignment when setting the motors up to the prop shafts resulting in smoother running. With my skills (or lack of them) I went for it. Previous experience with the Waverider and one coupling because there is not room for two showed that even with care and lots of fiddling a small misalignment results in vibration and I do not mean at just at one of those harmonic frequency points. What I also did on the SN was make two solid drive shafts on the lathe and fit them to the props and motors first. This then positions the motors in line for screwing down. They were then replaced with the couplers. The result has given a smooth drive. On the St Canute there is no space for such a sophisticated coupler so I have hung the motor from a beam which does the flexing. Crude but effective. I have gone for a system that allows for the easy removal of everything hence the elastic rope to hold in the batteries and velcro for the radio and servo. The more experienced sailors may consider this unwise, we shall see. The speed controllers are held to some aluminium angle which act as extra heat sinks by some large R clips. This also gives me a chance to easily move things around as I add more stuff. A note here about including this as a topic in the build section might be appropriate. When I started out on this refurbishment it was going to stay simple. Now it grows all the time so some forward thinking would have been a good idea. The servo operates two switches and is powered from the receiver fourth channel. At the moment it is set up so that trimmer slider operates the servo. The first movement puts on the nav lights from the first switch and then more movement operates the second switch and the spotlight. I assumed that it was not important to be able to have the spotlight on without the nav lights. I have a cunning plan to fit a third switch to operate a horn. If it works I will post it, if not then I suppose I will have to spend the money on one of those sophisticated electronic switch things. At the moment I am enjoying the challenge of making something for nothing from nothing. Does that mean I am in danger of becoming a scratch builder? One speaker was fitted yesterday ready to connect to the engine sound module when it arrives. Good luck with the keyboards. Cheers Graham. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.