Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone built a model slipway TRENT lifeboat?  (Read 2723 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
anyone built a model slipway TRENT lifeboat?
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:37:15 pm »

Hi, ive just been given a model slipway TRENT lifeboat it is built but is missing batteries and radio. it has 2 motors and 2 electronize 43HX speed controllers. I was wondering if any of you have built one and if you could advise me on what battery to use with this set up.

Could you also tell me what batteries you used where did you position them and what sort of run time you get from them?

Thanks

Grant :) :)

PS. I also tried using a Y lead to put the two esc's through 1 channel and it blew the crystal in the receiver!  Why would this have happened and how can i use just 1 channel without blowing up my receiver??? ??? ??? ???

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: anyone built a model slipway TRENT lifeboat?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 01:19:30 pm »

I can only see the use of a Y lead upsetting things if both the speed controls have a BEC working - and even then, its more likely that one of the BECs would suffer.
Also, I cant see any reason why the crystal should fail as it is in a totally different part of the circuit, well buffered from anything that might be going on at the output end of the radio.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Aston

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:43:04 pm »

The ESC's you quote do not have a BEC output, so that has nothing to do with your problem, and Malcolm is right (as always) that the crystal would not be affected by anything happenning at the output end of the system.  How do you know the crystal has failerd - I can only assume that you have had the set working OK by changing to another pair of crystals ?

I have the same speed controllers in a Smit Nederland tug running 2 Buehler motors, and have just been and tried running both ESC's through a Y lead to the Rx and had no problem, both ESC's ran, crystals are still ok - radio set used was a Futaba Attack 2 channel.

I'm sure Laurie and Jackie (model slipway) will be able to recommended suitable motors for the boat if you email them via their web site, and if you checkout Model Power at http://www.modelpower.co.uk/acatalog/Trent_Class_Life_Boat.html they advertise a battery pack specifically aimed at the Trent.

Good luck

Aston

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:24:56 pm »

Im baffled aswell but it definately blew the crystal because it just stopped working first i thought it had blown the receiver but i phoned voyager and he said it could have blown the crystal so i put back into one of my other boats with different crystals and was as good as new  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? I never knew you could blow crystals like that but you learn something new everyday and i wont be trying it again in a hurry. :)

Thanks for the link by the way :)
grant

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 09:02:39 am »

If in doubt, why not try the manufacturer's website?

http://www.modelslipway.com/webprices.htm

Looks like Slipway recommend and supply Graupner Speed 600 ECOs and 9.6v x 3300 NiCads, although this wasn't strictly part of the original question. For what it's worth I don't use BEC unless I haven't room in the model for separate Rx batteries. Just another thing to go wrong.

Suit yourself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.