Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint Finish  (Read 10173 times)

MTB

Re: Paint Finish
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 05:26:53 pm »

How about this Stavros ;)...........write it for the mags' ('cause you might get a couple of bob, always handy for new project materials - like paint?) then do a follow up on Mayhems pages of a re-write answering all the silly questions we ask after reading the first edition?
Not too good for you because of the extra writing but could finish up the REAL difinitive version of what we would all like to know!!! :o ;D ;D

Roy (London)

Stavros

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 11:31:26 pm »

OK OK OK I will do it,flippin heck typer's cramp seems to spring to mind.I will start to write this article this weekend,I think I will have to think this one out,back it up with a few photo's etc.Hopefully you lads will see it in print next year sometime.If it will not be used I promise thta I will have it on the Mayhem site instead,dont forget lads I will expect you all to bow when you talk to me at shows.I will be the one looking haggard after all the writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 11:39:28 pm »

Yes Stavros, lots of photos - mags won't be interested otherwise. A picture is worth a thousand words and given that many people don't read too well these days...

MTB

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 07:16:19 pm »

OK OK OK I will do it,flippin heck typer's cramp seems to spring to mind.I will start to write this article this weekend,I think I will have to think this one out,back it up with a few photo's etc.Hopefully you lads will see it in print next year sometime.If it will not be used I promise thta I will have it on the Mayhem site instead,dont forget lads I will expect you all to bow when you talk to me at shows.I will be the one looking haggard after all the writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to my first ever show at the IMBS on Saturday 11th Nov'. :-[   I presume an encouraging pint might not go amiss should you deign to meet your adoring public there? :-* :-*

Roy (London)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 08:32:34 am »

talking of paint finnish i just primed my higgins boat hull and the primer hasnt dried its still tacky after 48 hrs.i epoxy coated the hull then sanded and applied the primer,its just an outdoor grade primer for wood or metal .any ideas on why this has happened?ive never had this happen before but then ive never used this primer before either.im thinking i might need to remove it all and start again with a different paint,i got this one from wilkinsons and its there own brand so dont buy it!!.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 10:19:13 am »

I would personally remove it.
Having been in the building industry for more years than I care to remember I would say this normally occurs if the paint is applied to a greasy or contaminated surface
{ presumably not so in your case} or you have a dodgy batch of paint. {more likely to happen with cheap own brands.}
I would play safe.

Richard :(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 10:23:09 am »

Have to agree with Richard remove completely and wash with prepsol then repaint with a proper primer...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 10:33:26 am »

Thers a first Roy :o

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 10:35:26 am »

thanks guys whats the best way to remove it? white spirit,turps or something else?.im taking this paint back to the shop this week i beleive its dodgy like you say.it wasnt even cheap i wish id got a known name now.i paid 8 quid for it .

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 10:42:23 am »

I would start with the white spirit and see how you get on.

I dont think it will affect the epoxy though Roy will probably correct me if I am wrong, ;)

Richard 8)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 10:52:51 am »

thanks mate ill have a go and see how i get on,any suggestions on a good primer i can use instead of this one?.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 11:49:35 am »

I use Halfords Plasti-kote spray cans for primer and gloss. You presumably wont use the gloss.
You really want one that goes with the rest of your paint ie. enamel ,acrylic or whatever.

Richard 8)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 12:13:42 pm »

I use Halfords Plasti-kote spray cans for primer and gloss. You presumably wont use the gloss.

Richard 8)
cheers i can get the same plasticoat from wilkinsons its probably cheaper i only hope they will give me a refund on this paint i allready have.i dont supose the cold temperature had anything to do with the paint not drying? or maybe not mixing the paint enough before using it?.i shook the tin up before i used it but i never stired it.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 12:26:37 pm »

You were supposed to stir it!! :o :o

Richard

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 12:29:42 pm »

Martin,

After what just happened I thought you would have learned a lesson, cheap paint cheap finish, and your going back for more, not a good idea,,,

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2006, 02:54:16 pm »

Martin,

After what just happened I thought you would have learned a lesson, cheap paint cheap finish, and your going back for more, not a good idea,,,

Roy
when i said cheap i meant cheaper than halfords but same paint lol,but its possible i didnt mix this paint well enough so i may try it again after stiring it .ill paint a small area and see how it goes if it doesnt dry i know its the paint and not me ;D.i have used the plasticoat paints on an epoxy hull before so i know they are ok.

Stavros

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 04:40:07 pm »

Well here goes
1 You did not stirr the paint,megga mistake,all the driers sink to the bottom inc pigment,so it will NEVER dry
2 You have hit the nail on the head when you said cold temp,as temp and humidity affect paint drying time
3 Wash off the hull with either white spirit,cellulose thinner or acetone none of these will effect the epoxy coating
4 reprime wiht plasticoat paint
5 Rub primer with 600 grit wet dry
6 Spray with top coat
7 Pat yourself on the back and go for a weel deserved pint ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2006, 05:21:20 pm »

Hi Stavros

Really glad you confirmed my thoughts I was hoping you would show up.

Richard :)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Stavros - Panel Wipe
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2006, 05:33:34 pm »

I hope to be spraying my Missouri hull this week, so I have taken Stavros's advice and got all the bits he mentioned, including a 5 litre can of Panel Wipe, its brilliant at de-greasing kitchen cooker hoods, my wife is most impressed, I can see that I shall have no problem getting through 5 litres.
Colin

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2006, 07:07:29 pm »

Well here goes
1 You did not stirr the paint,megga mistake,all the driers sink to the bottom inc pigment,so it will NEVER dry
2 You have hit the nail on the head when you said cold temp,as temp and humidity affect paint drying time
3 Wash off the hull with either white spirit,cellulose thinner or acetone none of these will effect the epoxy coating
4 reprime wiht plasticoat paint
5 Rub primer with 600 grit wet dry
6 Spray with top coat
7 Pat yourself on the back and go for a weel deserved pint ;)
cheers mate ive just stired the bloody stuff and done a test patch to see if it dries before doing the whole boat!!,ill have that pint anyway .i cant believe i didnt stir the darn paint though i should know better.

Stavros

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

:)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.