Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit nederland  (Read 7112 times)

laserblue16

Smit nederland
« on: October 18, 2006, 06:37:27 pm »

I have been trying to get info on the billings kit of the Smit Nederland, without much luck, i may add. So this is the latest place to post. Surely someone out there has experience with this kit. I would be most grateful for any help. Thanks.
 Chris.

Aston

Re: Smit nederland
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 07:01:52 pm »

Hi I have a Smit Engeland, which I built using the Nederland hull and scratch buildingthe rest - one thing I did change was to fit a twin deck system.  I fitted a deck as it should be, but cut out so that there was only about 1.5 inches of wood  inboard of the hull sides, and with just one section left in going across the hull below the winch.  I then made up a second deck to completely cover the first, but with an access hole under the wheelhouse.  I then fitted the bulwarks and everything else to this upper deck.  I have fitted 4BA bolts coming though the lower deck where all the sampson posts are ( three on the bow,  one either side of wheelhouse and two on rear deck) and then made these posts of brass, threaded inside so they screw down and hold the two together ( with a spot of silicone grease between them).  The wheelhouse lifts off to reveal an opening, inside which is a small removeble tray with all radio gear on except rudder servo ( motor ESC's, winch ESC, RX and Rx  battery)  which I can lift out of the way to get to the motor and winch batteries.  Only time I need to seperate the two decks and get inside the rest of the hull is if I have any problems with the motors or the rudder servo - touch wood, not in 5 years - though I do open up now and again just to make sure they will still come apart  ::)

Have fun

Aston

laserblue16

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:05:21 pm »

Thanks for that Aston, i will certainly look at doing this mod.
 Chris.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 08:36:46 pm »

Here's a good layout I saw at Wicksteed park a little while ago...

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

laserblue16

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 08:41:03 pm »

:o.Thanks Martin. Dont know how i'm going to do that, with my short, stubby little fingers,(oh, and my little brain too). This is my 1st r/c boat and i am learning as i go along. Most of it from this forum. Thanks to all.
 Chris. ;)

Aston

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:16:57 pm »

Those photo's are of Roy Whitton and his Smit Zweden.  Roy, like myself,  is a member at both Dewsbury and Huddersfield clubs, and he, and BOTH his Smit Zweden tugs ( he also has one built on the 22" abs hull that MAP used to do) will be on our club stand at Blackpool this weekend  8)

The photos were taken at Wicksteed Park at the 2005 Model Power Boat Association National Scale Finals.  One of Roy's other boats taking part in that event, Gribben Head, was awarded best in show  ;D  This years finals, and he again won best in show, this time with his 22" Smit Zweden  ;D ;D

Wish I could build half as well as him, though it probably helped having spent all his working life being a pattern maker  ::)

Aston

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:29:25 pm »

..., and as if by magic!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:31:55 pm »

Here is my SMIT NEDERLAND...I am in the process of fitting her out as a spare tug for tug towing competitions...A Bow Thruster & Working Towing Winch are both being fitted...
 REGARDS...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

laserblue16

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 11:23:16 pm »

Will be at Blackpool on sat, hopefully i can pick some brains there. Looks good, Norry< but if thats ur spare, whats ur best tug like?? :o

laserblue16

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 11:26:00 pm »

How did you find the kit and build , Norry. Please take into account, this is my first kit build and first r/c boat.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 11:59:18 pm »

... Hi Guys...

I,m afraid I didnt build this particular tug, I bought it ready built... But I did build a SMIT NEDERLAND a few years ago & never had any problems with the build...
It was in fact my first go at a bigger (non plastic) boat kit...I must have done all right coz somebody else liked it & stole it from my flat whilst I was away on a real Tug Job...

I will be at Blackpool on Sunday...

...Regards...Norry...

laserblue16

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 05:43:23 pm »

Picked it up on sat morning, was so excited i missed the show , and was interupted on sunday by a family crisis, so could'nt make it then either :-[. Anyway, opened the box and ,what the hell are all these plans and instructions and bits and pieces. Bloody hell, if i mess this up, i'm going back to train spottin.Can't wait to get started, just hope i am up to it. Might even start a thread on the build. WOW the possibilities. ;D

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 07:51:59 pm »

Good Luck With The Build...

Remember its the same rlule with building a tug as it is with working a tug...SPEED KILLS...

Take your time and plan all the steps well ahead...

But Most Of All...Enjoy it...

...Regards & Best Wishes...Norry...

laserblue16

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 09:09:36 am »

Cheers Norry, will take your advice. I have now been staring at the plans for 5 days, and looked at the hull, but i am formulating a plan. ;D

Aston

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 10:59:30 pm »

don't you just love it when a plan comes together..... I think I heard that before somewhere  ;D

NZL640

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 01:15:51 am »

Hi  Lazerblue 16

I too have been meaning to buy this kit, but time to build it has not been on my side.

I have tried to google building blogs of this kit, but there seems to be no build blogs out there.

It would be great if you could do the build and as progress comes along post photos on the build in the build forum here, as I am really intrested to see how this kit comes together.

ps; Martin has all sorts of great phots of this model tug with people doing there own alterations from the standard kit.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 09:10:35 am »

Re: Photos. I'll put a page together on Mayhem with some of the photos of 'Nederlands' over the next week or so.....

laserblue16

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 09:19:23 am »

Cheers Martin, that would really help. I have been at it 3 weeks now and have just finished painting the hull and deck (must be working too many hours). Got to put the electrics in next :-\. If it turns out ok, i will post a couple of pics.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 10:21:15 pm »

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 09:31:06 pm »

Excellent pictures Martin. Well worth the effort

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.