Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homemade GRP hulls  (Read 2401 times)

cdsc123

Homemade GRP hulls
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:24:04 pm »

Hi all
In my quest to get Dad's Coastal Forces collection complete I decided it was a shame to spend so long developing one-off hulls from plans so I thought I'd give GRP moulding a go, so as to be able to share my work. After a couple of very time consuming plug builds using individual frames cut from the outlines provided on the plan I came up with a much faster way which actually gives a better result with less fairing required, by cutting the deck outline, the backbone (minus deck thickness) and the only difficult bit, the chine line which needs to be extrapolated from the frames outlines using careful measurements.The reason it is better, in my opinion, is that it is far less prone to the slightly wavy topsides and chine lines you see on many scratchbuilds, which result from following cut frames with stringers.
Anyway, I put a photo of each stage on a web album which may be useful to any of you about to embark on a similar venture; http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/553784041nXVfkq
Fom this page you can also link to my other albums showing some finished models, the ones I have in build and the real boats which inspired them. I hope something here is of some use to someone, it really is not difficult but it is quite smelly (this can be reduced by adding a little gelcoat to the resin mix) so best not done on the bosses kitchen table...
Regards, Christian.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Homemade GRP hulls
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 10:50:09 am »

looks good Christian a bit time cosuming for a one off hull but for someone who wants to build and sell hulls this is deffinately the way to go.i only build for me so i use wood but im sure there are lots of people who want to make some pocket money ;) who will love this idea.maybe this was in the back of your mind also ,will we be seeing your hulls on ebay with the rest of the splashers?!! ;)

cdsc123

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 04:35:33 pm »

I only build for my Dad, but I have given away 7 hulls so far to CF enthusiasts and boat owners if this counts (and paid the postage).

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 05:32:42 pm »

I only build for my Dad, but I have given away 7 hulls so far to CF enthusiasts and boat owners if this counts (and paid the postage).
only teasing ya mate good on yer they certainly look nice, if you have any spare let me know ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.