Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: new build - MV Celestia  (Read 16514 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
new build - MV Celestia
« on: April 18, 2006, 11:05:16 pm »

for a while now, I have been looking for a large hull cargo ship, and now my prayers have been answered.

Northwich show, I purchased the Graupner Sydney Star, and its a big one!? the general theme for the build will be a Nuclear waste carrier, the idea comming froim pictuires of the PNTL boats, and a novel i have been reading called "bomb ship" by Peter Tonkin.

the ship requires 2 bow thrusters, so thats 3 esc's, and plenty of ballast.

having purchased the ship on the sunday, work commenced in the build on monday, with the ship finally being put on the bench for the night at 2:30am.

The original kit is for a container ship, however I am bot going with that theme, and instead the ship is going to be a hatched carrier, various details will be different from the kit, including her livery, which is to be based closely on that of Gemini.

by tuesday night, most of the internal stiffenners were in place, and the ones at the bow were glued in, with the fore deck glued down. 

Rather than the single pole mast of the ship, a custom made mast is going to be installed, using two vertical beams with a horizontal bar at the top. The main mast will be made of ABS box, rather than the vac form from Graupner.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Pointy

Re: new build - MV Celestia
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 08:49:23 pm »

Hi Ghost in the shell (have you seen Ghost in the shell 2 yet?)

Really liked what you did with the Graupner Neptune, how do you find the Sydney Star kit in comparison? Do you need to do as much cutting and shaping of hull as you did the Neptune? Does the Superstructure of the 'Star have its windows cut out or are they just stickers like the Neptune?

I'm the same as you, looking for a good large freighter kit but went for the Model Slipway coaster as the quality of the kit is very high and the company is very good. Haven't got the skill to scratch build yet, I'd love to build a bulk carrier or reefer......

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:33:59 pm »

Thanks Pointy, and sadly I have not seen Ghost In the Shell 2 yet :(

The neptune requires a fair bit of cutting if my memory serves me right, as if i remember in the write up on Gemini, I had her built for me, simply because i did not have the time! Sydney Star hull is pre-cut and trimmed, and pre-drilled for the bow thrusters!

there are some vac-form parts that need cutting and shaping, and the bulbous bow requires filling to profile it to the hull.? as regards the superstructure, the sydney star's windows are laser cut, just pop them out!.? Gemini has stickers for her windows.? however those on my ship are actually vynil tape as she has had a full repaint.

if you want a large bulk carrier, the sydney star kit can lean to that, as I plan to have hatches instead of the containers.? the lil neptune kit has been on the graupner list for somewhere around 20 years!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:29:53 pm »

progress report.

thrusters wires up,
motor wired up
all installed

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 09:34:32 pm »

progress update, not long now !

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:35:32 pm »

everything installed now :)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 10:56:43 pm »

first of the decals added.

yes she is going to be in the same livery as Gemini :)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 11:31:15 pm »

maiden time :)

Celestia on her maiden voyage, this was a great moment, everything seemed to work as planned.

Pointy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 10:29:31 am »

Lookin' good!  8)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 07:35:34 pm »

thanks Pointy, though there have been some alterations made to the electrical supply in the model, rather than 3 seperate batteries, i have made a 1 into 3 lead to power the 3 esc's from the main drive battery. 

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 05:50:15 am »

celestia now has a crane on her deck, mounted amid ships, next is the heli-pad on her stern.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 10:33:07 am »

Wow! :) That's really nice, and you got it out onto the water so quickly!!  I started my present model in January and it's still a long way from being finished! How do you do it? ;D
Juian.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 10:04:10 pm »

orby, i used the power of the force!

seriously, the first days build started at 11:00 and did not end until 02:30, as one part was drying i was working on another part, when that was drying, took a third suba$$embly, etc etc etc, once the ships sub a$$emblies were done, in went the stringers and motors.  there is a build log also on http://www.rcgroups.com in the dock talk section. 

for a big one she sails well

eskiserkan

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 10:40:30 pm »

I think this is a marvellous model ship . If I find a dealer who can send this kit to Turkey , I'll purchase it immediately .

I want to ask a question about escs which are used on this kit . Can I use standart car escs with bow thrusters ? I looked for Graupner Micro Speed but they are a bit expensive I think .

Also , do you think installing a smoke generator and light system on it ? I want to purchase a Graupner smoke generator system with this kit , but I couldn't be sure about how useful it is..

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 05:41:08 am »

eski, i use 3x viper 15amp ESC's in her 2 of them for the thrusters, with the third being for the main drive motor.  just be sure to adjust the epa on them to balance the directions on them as most only give 50% power in reverse.

15A is ideal for the main drive motor as well :)

you will be impressed by her as well :) trust me, I know!!!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 06:31:08 am »

How much ballast did the ship need and what is the over all length, as I have a scratch built cargo ship which is 1.6 metres long and I am using a 12volt 24amp hour battery yes it is big and heavy, but still need to place lead blocks in the hell totaling 20 kilos.

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 09:56:07 am »

Roy

That seems reasonable. I have just completed a coaster that is 42 inches (107 cms) long with a 7 inch (80 cms) beam which needs 15 pounds (6.8 kgs) of lead plus two 6v 4ah batteries to bring it close to the water line. Your ship is nearly half as big again and displacement increases by the cube or thereabouts.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 10:12:21 pm »

the ballast requirements in Celestia are as follows, 1x 6v 12ah gel cell, and about 780g of lead ballast weights, (13 of those sticky 60g weights from kwikfit!), your ship may be different!

Gemini takes 1x 7.2v ni-cad pack, 1x 4.8v pack (lighting) and 1.2kg of lead to sit her level!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 02:54:12 pm »

I thought I had better show you what the ship looks like, I still reckon 4 kilos of battery and 20 likos of lead is a hell of a lot of weightbut that is what it needs.

Roy

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 09:49:08 pm »

fireblade, i dont think its gonna need that much weight reminds me of one that came up the msc to the ici works a while ago. 

will it fit in the bath??

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 01:04:21 am »

No mate to big for the bath only way to fit it in a bath would be in two halves, but on the water it sits right on the water line and it does handle well so I will have to keep on loading in the lead blocks every time I sail her..

Roy

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 10:14:27 pm »

an idea, put in several compartments, water tight them, and ensure they have a top cover, then, drill holes into the bottom of the hull, and put valves in the top, effectively making them into water tanks.

open the valves up, place model in water.  as the tanks fill up, the model will lower itself in the water.  once desired level is reached, close valves, the air in the top of the tanks will compress against the water stopping more water comming in.  (besure to add baffles in to stop sideways movement of the water and so increase stability) 

The ship we have for tug towing uses this same principle! we carry no lead for it, instead we use the lake to provide ballast

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 09:24:40 pm »

more bits.

taken with a motorola V3 camera phone so sorry if quality is down

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 05:00:13 am »

Thank you for that idea Ghost I will look at that and see If I can do it, I really cannot see any reason why not, and as you say it saves carring all that lead arround..

Roy

GOGSAMWE

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 06:29:50 am »

Impressive model & build,  well done ;)

Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.