Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little magic !  (Read 4531 times)

mike javelin

A little magic !
« on: October 25, 2006, 04:14:21 am »

Whilst we have been away there has been a new site launched at www.sailuk.org

The site is dedicated to the UK Micro Magic.

For those who don’t know this little yacht has proved an amazing success in Holland where they have a racing circuit of over 1800 boats.
There are also big fleets in Germany, France, Spain and Switzerland and it looks as if its going to be a real hit in the UK as well.

The rule is one-design with some allowance in the rig and small bits and pieces but the overriding factor is you can be on the water with a competitive boat, including radio equipment for less than £150 !!

I’ve had a go with one the other day and to be honest I thought it was just going to be a toy but was I wrong. ;D Subsequently three of my friends from my “big boat” sailing club and myself are going to get one each, so we can sit in the bar at the club and race during this winter.
I reckon by the spring we'll have half our Club hooked, ;D

Daryl

Re: A little magic !
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:24:00 am »

I have had one for a few years and get tremendious fun out of it. I do think the keel ould be a bit heaveyier but a geat little yacht.

Daryl

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 12:31:31 pm »

Remember that Graupner now do two versions: the basic (Graupner cat. Nº. 2114) and a "race tuned" version (Graupner Cat Nº. 2014). There is also a ready to run version listed with radio included.
As a matter of interest, how many sail nºs. are there in the UK for all classes? 1,800 MM's in a country the size of the Netherlands must be more per capita, and maybe absolute, than all IOM's M's 10R's etc.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:52:41 pm »

1800 does seem to quite a substantial number of yachts of any size, in any one country....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 06:16:18 pm »

1800 does seem to quite a substantial number of yachts of any size, in any one country....
Roy

The actual standing is 1836...

Those are the ones who applied for a sailnumber, the numbers sold are way over 2500, so you're right, about every third household in he Netherlands could have a MM.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

mike javelin

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 08:06:31 pm »

Remember that Graupner now do two versions: the basic (Graupner cat. Nº. 2114) and a "race tuned" version (Graupner Cat Nº. 2014). There is also a ready to run version listed with radio included.

There is a new version due out in December,
There's a better kicker and rig bits and pieces including a third servo as a slot tweaker.
The hull has also had a little tweak  as with the keel and rudder.
However from what I hear from those who have seen the prototypes there is little if any difference in performance other than it's a little easier to adjust things.
I also believe that if you want to modify your existing boat to the new spec it will cost about £45.

As a matter of interest, how many sail nºs. are there in the UK for all classes?

In the Micro Magic, no one knows. Which is why I guess they have started a registration database for existing and new members on the site.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 09:23:52 pm »

I was once an owner of a Graupner Micro Magic. It was a fantastic, reliable, and well designed little boat.  I had the boat for a while before i sold it, no matter what the weather conditions, it always came back to the bank, and never gave me any problems at all. The best thing about it was the size, even though it was designed to be broken down for transit, there was just never any need to. The boat was a great size, so it would be transported as it was, then get to the lake and you could just throw it in.....oh i'm missing mine :'( With the launch of the tweaked version, i would like to buy one again!

Voyager.

mike javelin

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 02:42:29 pm »

There are some photos of the new boat on a german site via the UK Micro site at http://home.arcor.de/ger15/galerie-mm-racing/mm-racing.htm

the new boat photos are towards the end.

The general thought is that there is little if any performance difference.

mike javelin

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 06:08:53 pm »

There is a new shop for the Micro Magic at www.microyachts.co.uk for when you want to get your next one  ;D

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 07:36:57 pm »

Any body with a Micro Magic should register on the site above, lets get a true idea of how many there are in the country.

Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

mike javelin

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 01:02:22 am »

I have talked to few suppliers over the last few days and added up it comes to well over 250 Micro Magics sold in the UK.

So where are they?

Do you know of any clubs where you have seen them?

mike javelin

The magic just got better
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 02:35:05 am »

The new Micro Magic MKII or race version is now available.

The UK got its first delivery a week ago and I know twenty have been sold already

£125 for the kit which is pretty good value.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.