Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I.R controler  (Read 4976 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
I.R controler
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:58:46 pm »

Hi all
I rember seeing at a model boat show this control system. I worked on IR I think, and the controler was like a TV remote control . There was a board that you put in the boat that had relays on it. It would be used for controlling lights sound etc . Can't think who made it .If any one knows any thing or has use one would love to hear about it.

John 

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: I.R controler
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:02:26 pm »

Electronize were trialilg something similar a while ago.
Not heard any more though.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »

Try Quasar Electronics. Our own Faraday's Cage has this sort of gizmo in his Vleistroom.
FLJ

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 08:10:04 am »

Hello there. Bob and Dave thank you for your reply's .I will have a look in that direction.

John

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 11:49:05 am »

John,

The UHF units from Quasar are better than the infra red versions. The IR units may suffer from interference in strong sunlight whilst the UHF units don't suffer this problem and are similar to car central locking systems with a rolling code. Much more reliable.

FC

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »

John,

The UHF units from Quasar are better than the infra red versions. The IR units may suffer from interference in strong sunlight whilst the UHF units don't suffer this problem and are similar to car central locking systems with a rolling code. Much more reliable.

FC

Hi there . thank you  for that , I have just looked at Quasar site. have you used any of there uhf units ?

John

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 03:15:34 pm »

Hi John,
have you used any of there uhf units ?

I'm using the 4 channel uhf model 3180 with good success. Each channel can be  either momentary (on only when button on fob is pressed down) or press on to stay on then press again later to turn off. You'll need a 12v supply to run the system. I'm using a 10 cell pack of 1000mah but depends on the load you're running.

As FLJ has said, mine is used for the crane on my Vliestroom buoy handler. Because the mechanics are pretty delicate I didn't want to run the risk of interference affecting the system. So far, no glitches.

FC

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 03:38:26 pm »

Hi there ,thank you for  the reply.
 So have I got this wright, on the 4 channel unit there are 4 relay's and 4 buttons on the fob. when you put power to the unit all the relay go to there pre set position . When you press button 1 on the fob relay 1 will change state momentary or permanently depending on the set up. press button1 again and the relay will change back.
Are the relay duel pole or single pole.

John

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 03:44:09 pm »

Relays are 10A SPDT, according to their datasheet. They usually do nowt on power-up until you hit a switch, then they do much as you describe.

I use their simple single-shot job for our garage door; about a third the price of replacing the original unit like-for-like and a better mousetrap all round.

FLJ

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 05:06:45 pm »

Maplins or CPC (Farnell) do some good 433mhz sets.

Russ

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:54:12 pm »

Hi all . I have been looking at this controller but i have a problem. They all seam to come with a single pole relay . I think I need a duel pole to be able to run a motor froward and backwards . Am i wright or is there a way it can be done via a single pole relay.

John

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:23 pm »

They are designed to switch the positive only, for a motor it maybe worthwhile just running it through a speed controller, or if its just switching you need then use either an Action unit or Active Robots website show some good ones....

http://www.active-robots.co.uk/battleswitch-radio-controlled-10a-relay-p-1864.html

Russ

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:24:27 pm »

The reason I was thinking of one of these units is. On my ferry Celestine hopefully there will be working rear ramp, elevator ,crane, lights and may be a horn. The lights and horn are no problem as they are a simple on / off  . Its controlling the motors of these function is were the problem lies as they require the polarity to be reversed . Esc are ok ,but they require a channel on my hand set. I don't have enough free and a fully loaded Robbe F14 is very expensive. I am exploring cheaper alternatives for the control of working functions .
 What stop me from changing the relay to a duel pole one on these board. Ok i might have to mount the relay / terminal blocks on a piece of strip board  then link that via some cable back to the unit. will this work

John

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 08:53:36 am »

Hi John,

That would work - however if you have space inside the boat, it might be worth just going for a follower relay - use the single pole relay to drive the coil on the double pole relay. This will have the advantage that you can size the relay without having to worry about the coil drive circuit or invalidating your warranty.

If you want to PM me, I have a few ideas for control systems.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 08:54:10 am »

John, what I did with my crane with 3 motors is use 3 channels to switch power to each motor on command, run the power to each motor through a double pole relay and use the 4th channel on the key fob to switch the dp relays. This then reverses polarity to all motors. I also fitted a visual indicator on the model so I know which state the relays are in. This hasn't caused me any problems as I only run one motor at a time. Hope this makes sense to you.  {:-{

FC

Great minds think alike Wombat  :-))

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 10:34:09 am »

I have shown a link for a data sheet on Electronizes revesing relays....

http://www.technobots.co.uk/Data%20Sheets/3400-001.pdf

Russ

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 04:55:42 pm »

Hi all and thanks for the reply.
Wom love your idea ,That's  a good way to go better than mine. :-)) :-))

Russ I have seen those before ,Thanks for the link . The problem is I don't have any spare channels on my hand set , all 4 are used in driving the boat. For not to much money I can get an 8 channel controller . To do that via a regular hand set will cost a lot more

FC I get what you mean ,like it a lot. You say you fitted a visual indicator on the model so I know which state the relays are in. Is this just moving the indicator L.E.D of the PCB to some were on the model that can be seen.

John

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 08:31:05 pm »

FC I get what you mean ,like it a lot. You say you fitted a visual indicator on the model so I know which state the relays are in. Is this just moving the indicator L.E.D of the PCB to some were on the model that can be seen.

John. got in one but replaced with a high brightness led.

FC

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 09:37:38 pm »

Hi all again I have decided on an 8 channel unit with standard relays. Quasar do 2 kit. Apart for the price is one better that the other.

Kit 1 CTL020 expanded  to 8 channels
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/ctl020.htm
or

Kit 2 VM118
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/velleman/vm118-8-channel-rf-remote-control-set-module.htm

Any thoughts or ideas welcome before I order one

Thanks
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.