Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on motor, cheap radio etc for first springer build  (Read 5384 times)

tim_uk

advice on motor, cheap radio etc for first springer build
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:03:47 pm »

I finally got round to trying my springer hull in some water today and as it didn't sink despite the inclusion of two house brinks, the next step for me is to get a motor and some radio equipment.

What are my best bets for these bits as this is my first attempt at modelling/radio control - some of the radio units and speed controllers seem really expensive compared to the price you can buy toy r/c helicopters and the like for. Grateful for any advice.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: advice on motor, cheap radio etc for first springer build
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:17:11 pm »

All you need is a basic 2 channel set (either 27 or 40 meg) Lots of adverts in Model Boats Magazine, you should be able to get a set for around £35-00, for all the other bits try the traders section here, you'll need a motor (obvious really) a 540 type with coupling shaft and prop, rudder (*-bay maybe) and a speed controller (action electronics)
and you'll be ready to "Spring" into action with the rest of us--welcome to the expanding world of the Springer  :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:25:17 pm »

You can get the motor from maplins,
the esc from ebay,from £9 + p+p
radio gear go for 2.4ghz,as you can go straight to water and not interfere
 with anyone else
Put what motor you want in it,as long as its not used for competition,my missus has a 6oo type motor in hers

But the faster the speed the more they dive,good fun tho
Mark

andygh

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:30:21 pm »

Buy ebay speed controllers at your peril, I bought 2, both went in the bin

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:49:25 pm »

some of the radio units and speed controllers seem really expensive compared to the price you can buy toy r/c helicopters and the like for. Grateful for any advice.

Bear in mind that you only get what you pay for, and that "proper" model radio sets are far more robust and reliable than those from dismembered toys.
How about putting a £Figure on it and letting the members suggest alternative set-ups?
FLJ

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 07:58:13 am »

I was just thinking of you Mr ACTion , i am sure that you could put together a motor /esc /shaft /setup as a kit ,as long as the coustomer dosent want a 550 type  {-)  {-)  {-)  :-)).
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

tim_uk

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:38:18 am »

thanks for the replies to-date, I have had a look on some websites and this was what I was thinking moneywise:

batteries - yuasa type lead acids - as I've already got a charger for these - and should help as ballast - guess about £15.

radio - something like this would seem great for me but not sure if its available here http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/hobbykingrc.shtml - 2.4GHz and only 30 dollars - has anyone seen these or similar in the UK ?

motor - £5

servo for rudder -£5 if not with radio

speed controller - not sure here - in the magazines some of these are about 30-40 notes for what seems like a simplish circuit - so any links to reasonable priced ones would be of benefit.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:23:10 am »

$30 may sound good, but remember you only get the transmitter, so you will still need, receiver, servo's and battery pack, so it might start to cost you a lot more than you think.
Are you Uk based (silly question, but we Mayhemers are all over the world)
 :-))
Steamed up all the time

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 11:07:11 am »

$30 may sound good, but remember you only get the transmitter, so you will still need, receiver, servo's and battery pack, so it might start to cost you a lot more than you think.
Are you Uk based (silly question, but we Mayhemers are all over the world)
 :-))

Phil
Read it again, mate. The receiver is included but the switch harness isn't.

Tim_UK
I wouldn't personally  touch one of these nano-cheap sets with a bargepole, but it's a big world and there's no rule which says that radio sets have to say "Futaba" on the front to be any good.
Suit yourself.........but caveat emptor, dude.
FLJ

andygh

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 06:25:26 pm »

“batteries - yuasa type lead acids - as I've already got a charger for these - and should help as ballast - guess about £15.”

Yes, Yuasa are top batteries but there are many similar, I use these, much cheaper

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/index.html

“radio - something like this would seem great for me but not sure if its available here http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/hobbykingrc.shtml - 2.4GHz and only 30 dollars - has anyone seen these or similar in the UK ? “

I’d go for this one, it’s got 6 channels and mine works perfectly. The stickers are a bit dodgy but other than that I love it. Don’t be put off by them being based in Hong Kong, I’ve bought several items from them & never had a problem.

http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps61206_61411&utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1813771&utm_campaign=no%20interference%20quality%202.4g%20radio%20system%20available

“motor - £5”

Yes, sounds about right Mr. FLJ can sort you out with one

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/stuff1.php

“servo for rudder -£5 if not with radio”

Again that sounds about right, you can also get them from the same place as the radio set for about 2 quid I think

http://r2hobbies.com/products.php?cat=24

“speed controller - not sure here - in the magazines some of these are about 30-40 notes for what seems like a simplish circuit - so any links to reasonable priced ones would be of benefit.”

Do yourself a favour and get one from ACTion, Mr FLJ again, they are top quality bits of gear, if you are confident of your soldering skills you can buy it as a kit which knocks a bit off the price and don’t forget as you are a Mayhem member you also get a discount for that. Very generous fella is Dave

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/speed.php
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.