Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springer first build.  (Read 3049 times)

ronkh

Springer first build.
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:56:46 pm »

Right.
I have finally got around to making my first Springer.
The hull was made by Craftysod and now, with a couple of pounds of filler (more like a sack full of the stuff %)), it looks more like the ones on here {-)
I have not got a clue as to what the finished superstructure is going to be like as I haven't bothered with any plans. I am just making it up as I go along (makes it a bit more exciting in a way doesn't it?), which is the same way that I made my tug build. The winch is non-working at this time and I might try and get it working later but I am only thinking of using a two channel radio so perhaps not.
The top so far is from sheets of styrene and plastic from work.
The motor is from an old drill that gave up the ghost - plastic casing wise - and while it seems to run fast, I do not know what size it is other than it has a fan at the rear inside the casing. I need to modify the shaft of the motor which I will do at work, and the propeller shaft is from an old toy boat which has an oil pipe soft-soldered on.
The brass rudder I haven't measured yet but you might be able to roughly work out the size from one of the photos.
The first pic was put on by mistake so is out of sequence.
I know it is on here somewhere but to save time trying to find it, can someone tell me what the angle of the propeller shaft should be please? Any other suggestions/comments would be helpful. Many thanks.

Ron.

ronkh

Re: Springer first build.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:58:18 pm »

Couple of pics showing motor and rudder.
The hull has been sprayed with 3 coats of blue - it was part of Mark's kitchen floor I think - and a few of enamel (varnish?), for a bit more protection though I don't think it will last long looking at what some of the Springers on here go through!!

Ron.

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:08:53 pm »

Well done amigo, but as craftysod has probably told you, they can be addictive!! :-)) :-)) :-))

craftysod

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:17 pm »

Couple of pounds of filler,you cheeky git.
To get propshaft at right angle,drill your hole and angle propeller to centre of rudder,
good start mate
Mark

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:24:03 pm »

Keep going your doing a grand job. I just built my superstructre "on the go" as it were, great fun getting it to look right and then keep adding things over time (10 leds on one of mine)

No they are not addictive in anyway shape or form :P

Oh OK they are really adictive I'm on my 4th one now (and planning my 5th)   :-)) :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.