Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uk Balsa Wood Suppliers  (Read 25755 times)

HULLTOM

Uk Balsa Wood Suppliers
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:33:05 pm »

Does anyone know of any uk balsa suppliers as im finding it hard to find any. After quite large pieces. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance:)

jonny shoreboy

Re: Uk Balsa Wood Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:08:30 pm »

I got all mine this weekend from hobby craft, they had quite a lot but mainly long lengths. Didn't really look for long flat sections as I didn't need any but don't remember seeing any. Hope that helps a little.. %%

andyn

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »

SLEC, you will get no better.

http://www.slecuk.com/

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:32:46 pm »

Have to agree with Andy - they are great guys at SLEC and very helpful. Fortunately I live about 15 minutes away from them and can nip across and pick my own wood, but  know they have a good reputation for mail order.

Rick

tomo55

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 08:54:28 pm »

Agree with the other lads ,I used Slec often (when I aero modelled).
The bigger the order the better it works out cost wise.(anyone else near you after any wood?)
Its good quality soft /medium /hard balsa .and other wood.
Chris

meyer

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:48 am »

Any other suppliers ?
just tried SLEC and  for  8 sheets @36 inches they wanted £6.63
but then £9.00 for postage (first class packet). According to the royal mail  a 4kg
packet costs £8.22, I cant see
1/8 x 3 x 36" x3
3/32 x 3 x 36" x3
1/16 x 3 x 36"  x2  adding up to 4kg

Im up on the west coast of Scotland and anything takes a minimum of 3 days to arrive so Im
not prepared to pay for next day delivery but there is no other option listed

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:58:24 am »

I don't think you're being altogether fair to SLEC.

The delivery time may be longer than for most of the UK, but that's a consequence of where you live and there ain't much that either Royal Mail or SLEC can do about that.

The reason for the high cost is the quantity of additional packing required to prevent the Royal Mail Second XI reducing your precious sheets of balsa to splinters. The postage price goes up in blocks, so a 2.1Kg package costs exactly the same as a 4Kg one sent the same way (check it out).

Quite apart from the weight, the size of the package @ 36" long obviates any other options. If you want a real shock then try getting a shipping price from DHL or UPS!! For example, I was quoted £83 to send ONE  550 motor to Trinidad; Royal Mail did it for a tenner.

Finally, please consider that SLEC will have to pay over to HMRC £1.34 of the £9.00 as VAT, so if the cost to them is £8.22 then they're actually losing out by only charging you £9.00.

Suit yourself, but I don't think you're going to do much better.

FLJ

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:06:17 am »

Agree with you FLJ , However I did not think there was vat on postage if using the Royal mail.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:17 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:35:55 pm »

SLEC, you will get no better.

http://www.slecuk.com/

another vote for these guys, I live in Watton - where they're based - & been using them for years.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 05:20:32 pm »

A further thought: How close to Oban is the nearest model shop which stocks balsa, and how much does it cost to get there and back? The bus fare from here into Nottingham and back is three quid (2 miles each way) or, if I took the car, I'd have to fork out £1.20 for on-street parking - if I could find any spaces.
With this in mind, is nine pounds to get a three-foot long package from Norfolk some 420 miles to Oban and delivered right to your front-door really such a lousy deal?
FLJ

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 05:27:03 pm »

Inwood Models

inwood model supplies

http://www.inwoodmodels.com/index.php?osCsid=4962f88f967961a3877b1b6240284bbe

Unit 2 Phoenix Court, Off St Margarets Way

Stukeley Ind Est, Huntingdon

Cambs, PE29 6EB

Phone 01480 411519, 411520 & 411528

Fax 01480433792

Email Sales@inwoodmodels.com
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

meyer

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 11:35:36 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions
got it sorted and the postage was £3.00 cheaper coming 2nd class which is just as fast as next day delivery in these parts LOL

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 11:42:44 am »

A further thought: How close to Oban is the nearest model shop which stocks balsa, and how much does it cost to get there and back? The bus fare from here into Nottingham and back is three quid (2 miles each way) or, if I took the car, I'd have to fork out £1.20 for on-street parking - if I could find any spaces.
With this in mind, is nine pounds to get a three-foot long package from Norfolk some 420 miles to Oban and delivered right to your front-door really such a lousy deal?
FLJ
Yes I`m afraid it is.  >>:-( In this so called United Kingdom there is the usual exclusions often seen  "except for Highlands and Islands".  Does the Isle of Wight pay extra?  Isle of Mann?  What about the curios "mainland UK only" >:-o  My local model shop in Inverness used to have to pay more than the one in Elgin because of the Post Code lottery.  Elgin is some 40 miles further on but in a "east coast" code {:-{ !   What if Meyer had purchased from a "Northern supplier" , say Newcastle or Cumbria ? They would not have a surcharge added if they were sending to Devon or Cornwall.  The distance to the nearest model shop at the moment is irrelevant as most roads are blocked with snow. ( Royal Mail is still delivering ! :-)))
..well can you land on this?

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 12:47:29 pm »

OK, so it isn't a big lump of Balsa, but a quotation to send a Laptop fan 50 x 50 x 10 (mm's) from Cally forn i ai a.

Fan $5.65

Postage $ 15

Delivery between 6 and 16 WEEKS  and this is first class post.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 01:24:12 pm »

Yes I`m afraid it is.  >>:-( In this so called United Kingdom there is the usual exclusions often seen  "except for Highlands and Islands". 
The Royal Mail website defines the UK as just that, and excludes only the Channel Isles.
The price is the same for all of the other locations you mentioned, and presumably would also include Watton, Norfolk.
There is a slightly lower price for Parcel Delivery (£7.06).
If the weather precludes a visit to the "local" model shop then there's really no alternative to using the postal service. You can see how our Royal Mail shapes up against the USPS from Circlip's experience; we've sent much larger packages to San Gabriel for about a fiver - and they've arrived within the week.
FLJ

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 01:57:37 pm »

FLJ, correct, I was talking about other parcel services and retailers. Sorry I didnt make that clear. I get my photographs processed in London (England) and they arrive next day without fail. No complaints about the Post Office, like I said 14"  of snow here and the Postie was here as usual this morning.

Mark47

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »

FLJ, correct, I was talking about other parcel services and retailers. Sorry I didnt make that clear. I get my photographs processed in London (England) and they arrive next day without fail. No complaints about the Post Office, like I said 14"  of snow here and the Postie was here as usual this morning.

14" my aunt never told me that.

On another note I use balsamart for my wood. At the time I looked on the web, it was the only one who had 6" widths of Balsa.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 02:33:02 pm »

I`m sure your aunty will send some pics, these were taken two days ago. Still snowing, white gold  :}  Sorry off-topic, try webcam at weather station Auchentoul, Aviemore for view of balsa plantation :-X
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.