Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Form Tools.  (Read 6948 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Form Tools.
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »

Now looking at the wheel a little more, it is in fact easier than I thought.

You would really only need two form tools, to shape square wood. The first form would be to shape the handles with the square left on the bottom, the second form tool would be to profile the middle spindles out of a single piece, leaving the square on the ends.

The spindles would need to be drilled right thru and the handles only half way and on assembly, round dowels would be fed thru the spindles from the outside to the hub, then the handles glued onto the projecting dowels. Small flats would be machined around the periphery of hub and rim at the same position as the drilled holes. This would allow the squared ends to sit nice and flush.

Hope you could understand that.

Bogs
Not yet.
Notes from a simple seaman

bogstandard

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 09:10:03 pm »

Bryan,

Don't flog yourself to death, if you are not conversant with certain techniques, it is not your fault. You can't be expected to know everything.

If you knew everything you would be walking across the lake rather than sailing on it.

A lot of if's now.

If it could be made out of metal and painted afterwards, and if you have a decent full picture to get the detail, and the correct diameter for it to be, or scale drawings, and if you don't mind waiting a while, as I am snowed under at the moment, I will knock them up for you. F.O.C. On the understanding you pay postal charges and any small material costs.

I can't be fairer than that.

If you want to take me up on it, email or PM me.

John

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 10:47:34 pm »

Bryan,

Don't flog yourself to death, if you are not conversant with certain techniques, it is not your fault. You can't be expected to know everything.

If you knew everything you would be walking across the lake rather than sailing on it.

A lot of if's now.

If it could be made out of metal and painted afterwards, and if you have a decent full picture to get the detail, and the correct diameter for it to be, or scale drawings, and if you don't mind waiting a while, as I am snowed under at the moment, I will knock them up for you. F.O.C. On the understanding you pay postal charges and any small material costs.

I can't be fairer than that.

If you want to take me up on it, email or PM me.

John
John, what a wonderfully kind offer! Again, I need time to mull. Lets see if I can come up with the sort of drawing you suggest. Not all my drawings have the mistake I made (last post) in the wheelhouse dimensions! Thanks. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 06:18:36 pm »

For Bogstandard:- (and others who may be interested).
Many, many thaks for your most kind and altruistic offer. But I will decline. Nothing at all to do with you! No, the reason is that I spent today building up part of the wheelhouse interior and just plonked a bit of ply on the top to see what the inside light level is like. Pretty good, but nowhere near good enough to warrant a special manufacture. As is my sort of usual practice I "borrowed" a couple of wheels from my local supplier to check sizes and so on and have managed to get a pair of wheels that will do the job OK. Not "perfect", but the effect is OK, and who's going to know anyway!
Again, thanks for the offer...many "Brownie Points" to you. Regards, Bryan.

bogstandard

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 08:57:23 pm »

That's fine Bryan, there was no pressure towards yourself to take up the offer, it was just me trying to take a bit of pressure off yourself.

You have it all sorted now, so no further problems.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.