Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaport Workboat conversion - First attempt at boat modeling  (Read 5293 times)

capstan

Hi to everyone,

This is my first post on the website, & this conversion is my first effort at marine modeling I must say from the outset, that I was greatly encouraged to have a go by the many excellent posts on converting this RTR model Tug.
I have been kit bashing model railway trains for years so altering plastic model boats couldn't be that hard or different. & I have built many R,C. Cars for my Son when he was young so I know my way round R.C. equipment

Here’s just a few details of what I’ve done :-
Stripped hull & deck down & all major deck parts ( Crane, Winches, Inflatable) these were all flatted off & repainted
Original radio gear binned & an acoms 2 channel fitted + a Viper marine15Amp ESC
Original motor, prop shaft & prop retained after been stripped & greased  - rudder housing cut away for better turning
Water ballast tank removed & hull sealed up - now battery compartment for the 4.5Ah 6V sealed lead acid.
Extra fixed ballast was added to lower the waterline for better stability & hull painted to reflect new W/L level

I didn’t like the mast fitted to the Tug so I replaced it with a Graupner mast glued to the original clip in base which is more what I wanted
The ships inflatable was dressed up by adding a red rubber band to the centre 2 foam seats, a pair of oars from cocktail sticks & cable tie ends & a couple of hanks of rope from carpet twine -  I’m quite pleased with the result

The ships red & green running lights were wired into the main R.C. power to indicate that its switched on in the hope that they will remind me to switch off the power on when I’ve finished using it.
Various extra deck fittings added  as you will see in the photo’s if they upload OK
Thought I would use Dymo plastic labels for the signage (as I have just got a machine for another job) I coated them in matt lacquer to seal them from the elements.

That’s about it  - so far its been run in the bath to check centre of gravity, & that it didn’t list to one side or the other,  that everything was watertight & to make sure the RC gear worked & so far all’s well & shipshape. – open water trials next on the agenda.

I have enjoyed doing the conversion & as I said earlier I know nothing about ships & for my first venture I just wanted to achieve a pleasing visual model (well in my opinion anyway) its perhaps not as technically correct as it should be but its what I wanted it to look like when it was finished & I can always improve on it it as I learn more about the hobby

FINALLY My thanks to all the other members who have done this conversion & more importantly taken the time to post articles about their work which will give people like me a fighting chance to step into the world of model boats without making a pigs ear of it.& throwing in the towel

******* Your comments welcome ************* 

capstan

Re: Seaport Workboat conversion - First attempt at boat modeling
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:06:05 pm »

Sorry about the photo's will try again with some more

chingdevil

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:17:44 pm »

Thats a good looking model, just shows what can be done with these tugs without too much work on them. I see you have put your rx in the same place I put mine, the battery compartment just made for it :-)) :-))

Hope to see some photos when it gets its bottom wet.

Brian

capstan

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:11:34 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments Brian - Have just had a look at your comversion post Looks like a lot of thought & effort is going into  your Bareki Tug project looking great !!!!

Cheers colyn

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 04:24:46 pm »

Yes, well done capstan, just the tone down of the shine and correcting the colours has made a huge difference.    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:35:24 pm »

Well done Colyn, and welcome to the forum, and to the Dickie Tug/Seaport Workboat Fleet!

Danny

chingdevil

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:45:49 pm »

Colyn

The project is finished and it got its bottom wet at the Wicksteed weekend, I just need to get the rest of my build pictures on the forum before Martin starts hounding me <*< <*< <*< <*<

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.