Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Sharnhorst has landed!!  (Read 6792 times)

Pointy

Graupner Sharnhorst has landed!!
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:36:47 pm »

Hooray!!

Got my Scharnhorst today thanks to A Model World. Not a single item damaged on her- really well packaged. Had the Prinz Eugen and can say quality has gone up in a big way. For example the ships boats have glazing!!! The anti aircraft guns on the Prinz were bad but they are a different league on Sharnhorst, some superb detailing on her like rope reels, accurate foretop radars, much better rigging, gun barrels partly drilled out, it even has companion ways stowed on deck! Planking details and the ships plane is better executed. Really like the fact that she has twin rudders which have been angled outwards just like the real one had. Plenty of room for me to add details and somethings I need to add for example the rear rangefinder has no radar mattress on it and I need to add extra optical equipment around the bridge. There are things I can't change like the out board propellers are stationed aft of the middle on like Bismark- on real Scharnhorst they should be in a row, platforms on after mast are to high up the mast. Things I can change are two single anti aircraft guns installed on a signal platform for some reason and the secondary range finder on the platform right under the bridge looks like the top of a dalek! It has the same toy flags forward and aft as the Prinz has and they will be the first things to go thank goodness for Becc. Will also add black inserts to hull portholes when I'm feeling brave!

These are minor things as the overall impression is very good, well pleased with this one!

Won't fit in my car, what do you guys do about this problem- roof rack or trailer?

Will add pics soon okay!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Graupner Sharnhorst has landed!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:03:32 pm »

Simple,
Change the car!!!

Your Prinz is still looking good.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Pointy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:51:54 pm »

Hey Shipmate, bet the Prinz is looking even better now its with you! Wish I could get another car but just can't right now. Looking at box roof-racks over £100 for the bars and about £250-399 for a box!!!

Cut up a mouse mat and put padding on the model's stand. Have removed the two extra AA guns and had a shock. They are made from some kind of resin that fractures if you try to move it and are very fragile. They were also stuck down like hell! Did remove them after a lot of hassle as they were on a fragile platform behind railings- to much pressure and goodnight. Repainted the spot where they were with a Tamyia paint which was a 99% match for the platforms surface. Also removed this well over-scale range finder (the company that builds this model also does the 1:128 Graf Spee, think it came from there) that was on the second platform on the aftermast for some reason. Reckon it would have collapsed this platform in real life. Will replace it with a much more smaller optical device.... at least thats what I think was there on the real one! The flags are also gone.
It already looks better. Have ordered a Becc flag and looking for options for the mattress ariel for after rangefiner.
The AA guns have gloss black barrels, will repaint them gun metal but not sure if its just the barrel or the rest of the body of the gun except for the base?

Instructions say I will need 2 speed controllers, one for outer props, other for the middle one and 4(!) 6V 4amp batteries.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:03:51 pm »

am i the only one who cant get a pic ?
in my own little world

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »

Thats it I think
Davie Tait,
Scotland

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:50 pm »

No picture I think Pointy has posted the wrong link. {:-{

He said pictures Davie.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Pointy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:12:30 pm »

Sorry guys, I'm really struggling with all this photo stuff, how about these?

" Censored ", they are really small! Only have a film camera, got them to put pics on a CD which my Vista Pc won't recognise  >>:-( Been fiddling around on photobucket, you will find bigger pics under the tag "Graupner Sharnhorst" if you go to photobucket.....Hohum, sorry again....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »

Sorry guys, I'm really struggling with all this photo stuff, how about these?

" Censored ", they are really small! Only have a film camera, got them to put pics on a CD which my Vista Pc won't recognise  >>:-( Been fiddling around on photobucket, you will find bigger pics under the tag "Graupner Sharnhorst" if you go to photobucket.....Hohum, sorry again....

Hi Pointy

No, I couldn't find it on Photobucket either. The search for Graupner Sharnhorst' drew a blank.

If you go to the page yourself you can 'right click' the address (in the the bar at the top) and select 'copy' then come back here and 'paste it in another posting.

Phew, I'm off for a cup of tea.   ok2

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Pointy

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:14 pm »

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:43:37 pm »

Beautiful  ................. well worth the wait.    :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:31:03 pm »

Alex,
She looks really good.
have you considered one of the mixer/ESC's from action.
It has a straight through connection for the centre ESC too.
As In my large Prinx Eugen.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/shipmate600/?action=view&current=Picture031.flv

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Pointy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 10:34:44 pm »

How cool was that video, you don't need a bow thruster!!!  I've got to get myself a couple of those!!!

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:01 pm »

thanks for the amended link..................... very impressive RTR
in my own little world

Pointy

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 10:03:44 pm »

Been busy, biggest problem is finding a matching paint. Have spent ages mixing and trying different stuff. Brought some Revell paint for the first time and found one that is almost an exact match!!! How relieved am I?!

Sharnhorst now has a nice Becc flag flying from rear mast, have removed horrible anti- aircraft director under bridge (what a struggle) and have scratch built a more accurate one. Removed what looks like an old fashioned ventilator(?!) from the top of the battle bridge, think its meant to be a persicope- found what was supposed to be there from a plan and scratch built a new one. Have scratchbuild some compartments that appear around the battle bridge and under the tower mast. These contained small infra red gun directors and anti aircraft directors. Still wondering about how to build those. Removed a ladder that was on the face of the rear heavy gun director and repositioned it where it appears in photos. Have got a nice mattress style radar Ariel for this director and after a bit of alterating will attach to director. Got that part and others from Model Dockyard in Cornwall, they are really good and dispatch stuff fast! Got a great chain and some areonaut anchors to replace the poor ones on the model. The anchors are not so good so ordered some more, they must be wondering what I'm doing at Model Dockyard! Scraping off the anchor chains on the foredeck was hard, they have been stuck on and varnished over- after much swearing got them off and reapplied some wood sealer on the deck sections they were on. Went over it again on that area with Humbrol Matt varnish- looks like nothing had been stuck there now. I think much of the fittings for Scharnhorst have come from Graf Spee ARTR which is a slightly larger scale and it shows. Wanted to remove mooring bollards and replace with smaller ones but its just to risky, they are stuck on like hell and the wooden deck is a thin layer of wood on a fibreglass base. Will not do this now, have missed disaster to often. Neither will I repaint the funnel cap from its current black to superstructure colour. Removing stuff is just been so hard and its not worth the risk, will only be able to hand paint it in situe so no thanks. Besides its grown on me in its black matt.

Pointy

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 09:00:06 am »

Have got an Action ESC/Mixer and its so small, but not so sure about having to drill holes in the casing for its cables and vents! :o

Replaced the anchors and anchor chains, anchors are now hull colour the originals being very plain and black. Have added details around the bridge and have scratch built some optical instruments and have added them as well. All portholes now have black inserts. These are made from Trimline, using a belt-punch to make the disks (yep it took forever...!) But looks much better. Catapult the right type and shape but not complete so been adding details to that. Have stripped the Arado so I can add a much thinner etch brass prop', paint scheme and decals. It also needs new struts as the ones it has are hopeless. :}

Will add updated pics soon.

Pointy

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 08:51:40 pm »

Keep on adding stuff! Have made lots of doors as there are only a few on the model and more help the model look busy. Scratch build some vents, a couple of tall ones either side of the hanger and some squat ones at the corner of the hanger and under the rear structure on which the rear range finder sits. Have got some extra cable reels and will add those according to photos or real ship. Need to add internal details to the single 15cm mountings. There are four of them and they are open at the rear of the gun shields so it is possible to see inside- and there is nothing to see!! Will make up breech blocks and the like. Have painted the anchor winches with stripes like in the photos but have not replaced the stem anchor, the real ship only shipped it a short while and the model has a hawspipe that leads from the stem to the deck just like the real one! Added a tiny square deck house to both sides of the model opposite the forward twin 15cm turrets attached to the superstructure. They are in the photos but not on the model. Have scratch built a pair of signal lamps to add to the bridge wings up by the admirals bridge. Not sure what to do about the two bollards on the rear deck. They should be smaller and need painted stripes like the anchor bollards on the fore deck. The ones on the model look like the tops of pawn chess pieces! Can't remove them without ripping the deck. Thinking about sanding them down with a mini drill.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 09:06:19 pm »

So have you fitted the mixer in her?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Pointy

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 09:17:02 pm »

Not yet, still concentrating on the outside first. She won't fit in the bath like the Prinz so need to get a paddling pool for ballast and leak test  %%
Have not sorted out the transport issue yet either!  :o

Pointy

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 08:56:39 pm »

Have got a DX5e Spektrum digital radio for her, guy in shop said I will never need crystals again and that it has a huge range. He also said the receiver (which it soooo tiny!) does not need batteries- which according to the instructions it does! Does anyone have one of these and have any tips using/installing it?

The Arado is giving me a headache, it has a forest of struts for its floats and its the devil getting it right and repainting the thing. Tried to build a pair of bollards from scratch to replace the "chess pieces" but not happy with them so have left the orginal ones alone...for now. Still have'nt started on doing the electrics yet.

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 11:21:40 pm »

Hi there. I have the Spektrum DX5e and my receiver is powered through the ESC and as you mentioned the instructions also say it needs batteries so I think the guy in the shop could be wrong. I was also really easy to remove the ratchet from the throttle.

Pointy

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 09:39:03 pm »

Despite "Wiring nightmare" its good to have electronics sorted- should look good on water due to mixer! Just finished applying 3rd coat of Matt Ronseal on deck, going to get paddling pool tomorrow for watertight check and ballasting. Still have details to add.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.