Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swan Attack  (Read 4555 times)

bulerthebishop

Swan Attack
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:28:54 am »

An evening's sailing on the canal turned into a full scale attack on Ayton Cross by a swan.  Saw the swan family approaching so stopped the tug and let it sit stationary till swans passed.  Father swan decided to investigate and used full power of one wing on superstructure causing a bit of dasmage to wheelhose rails and knocking two windows out (see pics).  I decided to get the tug out of it and attempted to bring it back to shore, father swan gave chase but gave up after about 20 yards.   

catengineman

Re: Swan Attack
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 11:39:03 am »

Capt Jack (of this forum) has also some experience of the swan kind  O0  they are only protecting their family and you (your model) is too close for their comfort so fight or flight and as the signets cant fly the cob lets the intruder know who is boss of the water.

Hope you can repair the damage without too much problem.

Oh if you can show the swan that you are boss they will tolerate your model (water cannons and aggressive driving calmed one down  O0) (ps no swan was hurt )

R,

Mark47

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:40:37 am »

That's unfortunate, but it is only doing what they do (defend their young). It must have thought it was another swan with the super structure being white. {:-{

Mark

andyn

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 12:46:08 pm »

At our club, one of the members has a family of ducks, last year when all the ducks had their young, the male RC duck was chased away by one of the real female ducks...

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:47:28 pm »

We have sailed at our lake for many years without any problems from the swans, even when they have the young with them, that was until one member started to sail a radio controlled swan, that was promptly sunk by the male whilst the female stayed with the young.
Alan

regiment

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:15:32 pm »

some years ago i had a solent life boat 4 foot  went to the lake one evening  a large drake did not like the colour  he just about wrecked the superstructure  stanchions  went flying  by the time i got it in it was a mess  still gave me something to do the next day

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:29:42 pm »

Hi,

That must have been rather annoying, at least it was just superficial damage!

They are beautiful birds though- this is a pic of one of two families on Coniston Water from the stern of SY Gondola- at the end of the season the female only had 1 cygnet left- the 5ft pike that lurks in the depths took a fancy to the others! Just be glad he didn't attack your boat!!! :(( <*< <:(

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »

Hi,

That must have been rather annoying, at least it was just superficial damage!

They are beautiful birds though- this is a pic of one of two families on Coniston Water from the stern of SY Gondola- at the end of the season the female only had 1 cygnet left- the 5ft pike that lurks in the depths took a fancy to the others! Just be glad he didn't attack your boat!!! :(( <*< <:(

Greg

Just like to see that pike have a go at my bright orange 14 ft kayak when were at the lake for the Coniston Swimming championships, Don't think we have lost a swimmer yet  :} , shame about the cygnets

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:53:48 pm »

Just a matter of time.......................... :D
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:52:51 pm »

I was nearly attacked by a swan at Warwick show a little while ago....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Captain Jack

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:39:24 am »

Martin, what genus does that critter belong to? For a minute there, I thought it might be a bearded, floatius snailasaurus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.