Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with smoker  (Read 2282 times)

Nick

Help with smoker
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »

I have a 12 volt Hunter oil smoke system which I would like to fit on my Tug. I was told that is I fit a small fan on the system it would produce more smoke. Excuse my ignorance but where do you fit the fan onto the oil unit to push out more smoke?

chingdevil

Re: Help with smoker
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:11:55 pm »

Mine is fitted at the opposite end to the cable about 25mm away from the unit.

Brian

Trucker Willy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:19:11 pm »

See the pictures:

Full throttle to stop machine

Full Throttle

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6013.0
Jan's Maid of Scotland

Nick

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:26:34 pm »

Now I can see what you mean, thanks for the pics Brian, your a star  :-))

Trucker Willy

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:49:45 pm »

Sorry ... but my name is Willy

john44

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:40:10 pm »

Ideally the fan on the smoke unit should be controlled by a small speed controller linked via a Y lead from the throttle channel.

TomTheKraut

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 06:20:49 am »

Hello,
... I'd like to piggyback this thread with an extension (half of my questions are answered even before I had to put them to the audience! *grin*)

Has anybody any idea how to turn the output from a smoker black or at least black-ish? Never seen coal smoke white... it would make for a far more realistic behaviour on the pond.

Thanks in advance!

50mm

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:21:02 am »

try adding a drop of food colouring to oil before you fill the smoker the coloured oil mix will change its colour  :-))

tjones27

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »

Hi,
without sounding too silly, but i always think its good to ask questions, that way you will gain knowledge. if i get a 6V smoke generator can i sticka  diode between that and a 9.6V or 8.4V power pack? and again mybe silly, but with a 12V generator hooked up to a 9.6V or 8.4V pack, will it work? and if so it won't work as efficiently will it?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:20:44 pm »

Hi,
without sounding too silly, but i always think its good to ask questions, that way you will gain knowledge. if i get a 6V smoke generator can i sticka  diode between that and a 9.6V or 8.4V power pack? and again mybe silly, but with a 12V generator hooked up to a 9.6V or 8.4V pack, will it work? and if so it won't work as efficiently will it?
It would need either several silicon diodes in series to lose the unwanted voltage, and the diodes would have to be able to carry the current, or a zener diode of a voltage to lose the unwanted voltage, but of a power rating to stand up to the current.
Running on a lower voltage will result in less current used, less power dissipated therefore less temperature and less smoke.  It might not even get hot enough to vaporise the fluid.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.