Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer cooling fans??  (Read 6426 times)

Mark47

Computer cooling fans??
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:27:46 pm »

I've seen a few of these in boats 9photos of). I have a couple of questions.

1, will the operate at any voltage? I've seen some saying 7volt start up.

2, how are the wired into the boat? They all seem to say 3 or 4 pin conector.

I'm thinking of putting them in my trent. I've heard a lot of stories of the Eco 600 getting to hot to touch.

Many thanks for the help.

Mark

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Computer cooling fans??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 03:43:11 pm »

Mark,

I've seen a few of these in boats 9photos of). I have a couple of questions.

1, will the operate at any voltage? I've seen some saying 7volt start up.
most of the DC ones are for computer cooling duties, and as far as I know all are brushless (they have transistorised commutation)
They may well specify a min start voltage, but all that have ever tried have run on all voltages over 4.5.
Howk one out of a dead computer - there are many around and try it

2, how are the wired into the boat? They all seem to say 3 or 4 pin conector.
again the computer background - EVERYTHING is plug and socket.  Generally there is a red and a black - they do what you might expect.  If there are more wires it might be a speed signal or something like that.
If there is a genuine 3-phase brushless cooling fan would someone please let me know!

I'm thinking of putting them in my trent. I've heard a lot of stories of the Eco 600 getting to hot to touch.
Is this the Slipway Rescue Boat?.  If the SS600 gets too hot you have too much prop AND not enough cooling. 
You would (imnsho) do better to fit watercooling coils round the motor body first. 
If you cool with air in a closed boat you have to allow hot air out and some fresh air in

Many thanks for the help.

Mark
hope some of this helps
I have dozens of cooling fans of all sizes - let me know if you need anything specific
PS they can be fitted with a S400 motor for hovercraft lift fans!
andrew

Mark47

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 03:52:52 pm »

Thanks Andrew,

Helps a lot :-))

Mark

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 04:01:06 pm »

will the operate at any voltage? I've seen some saying 7volt start up.
Our regular supplier has two voltages listed - 5v and 12v. They are two-wire fans but will only run in one direction.
If the Speed 600 ECO motors are running hot then either reduce the prop size or cut the voltage down to 8.4 or 7.2..........or do both.
Water-cooling is generally more efficient for motors than fan-cooling.

Hope this helps.

FLJ

Mark47

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:11:49 pm »

will the operate at any voltage? I've seen some saying 7volt start up.
Our regular supplier has two voltages listed - 5v and 12v. They are two-wire fans but will only run in one direction.
If the Speed 600 ECO motors are running hot then either reduce the prop size or cut the voltage down to 8.4 or 7.2..........or do both.
Water-cooling is generally more efficient for motors than fan-cooling.

Hope this helps.

FLJ

I have not ran them yet, it's just what I've heard with the trent. I have 4 blade 40mm brass props for her, but have a set of 3 blade plastic ones to swap to if needed (supplied with the kit). So I can try that. O0

I'm not keen to try the water cooling. Did not find out about the heating of motors until I had already painted the hull. Or I would have added them into the build early on. So I dont want to start drilling holes for water pick-ups. I thought the computer fans would help.

Mark

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:19:34 pm »

Mark,
Tell us more about the boat - which Trent, what prop what volts etc!   
There will be umpteen Mayhemmers who have done that with solutions.

The S600 ECO is run at 30A in aircraft, but of course they are fan-cooled! 
So its not so much what you are doing to and with the motor but the balance between heat being generated and the ability to get rid of it.  If you can put a handful of dry ice in the boat before the run (I have a neighbour who makes it by the tonne) that would probably do the trick too

Reducing the prop will always help the motor spin faster and hence be more efficient as well as reducing the heat being generated in the motor.

andrew 

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:35:14 pm »

When I had my Arun I put the fans on the motor shafts, set to blow the air over the Motors & it
worked, for me anyway. Easy enough to make, two discs of tinplate, segmented like a cake & fitted to the shaft with a rubber grommit, very simple. On my Trent the 850s were gettig warm/hot so I watercooled them using two Robbe coils with a little pump, the inlet/outlet was by Graupner & was
very neat, best of luck
                                   Nemesis

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:38:35 pm »

Mark - there are rudders which incorporate pickups

- and if there aren't there could be, if you get my meaning
andrew

Mark47

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 05:03:59 pm »

Model slipway Trent lifeboat, scale 1:16 (36"x12"). Graupner Ecco 600 motors direct drive (built in fan). Running a 40mm Four blade prop on 9.6 volts.

Mark

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »

Model slipway Trent lifeboat, scale 1:16 (36"x12"). Graupner Ecco 600 motors direct drive (built in fan). Running a 40mm Four blade prop on 9.6 volts.

Mark
Sounds like it might be too many volts and  too many blades. 9.6v is the very top end of its rating so you'd expect it to complain a bit at such loads.
FLJ

Mark47

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:55 pm »

Mark
Sounds like it might be too many volts and  too many blades. 9.6v is the very top end of its rating so you'd expect it to complain a bit at such loads.
FLJ

Yeah, I've noticed on slipways web site they now recommend 8.4 volts. (have you heard through the grape vine feedback about 9.6 being to much)?. I bought the 9.6 on recommendations from the site, also confirmed by Westbourne. Also informed by previous buyers, they used to supply the kit with brass props. I upgraded the plastic ones to brass.

Mark

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 08:55:25 pm »

Mark,

I have just fitted two 12 volt computer fans in my 1/12 Trent, got them from Maplins to cool the Torpedo 850,s.  They come mounted in a stainless frame side by side and sit over the motors just right.   :-))

Russ

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 01:15:30 pm »

As for the connection plug.  simple answer to that, cut it off and wire it direct into the battery.  I did that with Celestia during the summer to draw air through the hull.  pulling it in through the bow and exhausting it via the funnel
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Mark47

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 09:36:07 pm »

Well I've ended up putting a water cooling system in. O0

Mark

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 09:42:58 pm »

an idea to ponder for someone who messes with brushless

If you are running say a Brushless Outrunner, would having the spinning case in a duct, with 4 water pipes crossing it, with a fan blowing air over it, will it give better cooling than just the blower?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

john44

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 10:45:20 pm »

Hi Mark, you can cool the front bearing/mounting of a outrummer with a cooling plate. a brass sheet with a water coil soldered
or fixed to it. Like an electric radiant element, and mounted to the motor fixing bracket.(It may help).

John44
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.