Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoration Job - Taycol Comet  (Read 18703 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Restoration Job - Taycol Comet
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 01:31:09 pm »

Andy,
If you want speed have a look a MMB's motor.
The one in Stavros's 49 inch Perkassa.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

andyn

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 01:48:41 pm »

Would shake this thing to pieces, anyway I'm not after speed with this one, it's a pleasure cruiser jobbie

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 12:28:28 pm »

Roy is correct, the Comet is designed for 6v max and is not really up to performing well in a boat of this size but it would be nice to see it running in a suitable hull. I have run several Taycols of both the small and large series thanks to help from Roy and others on this and other forums. If you want to do it go to the Model Solutions Canada (one of the listings on the Traders page of this forum) and follow their suggestions on RFI suppression. It is the best article by far I have seen on stopping interference. http://modelsolutions.ca/articles.htm
Some of the other posts are correct in that some Taycols cannot easily be reversed with an ESC but it can be done and there are other posts that explain how. Hope this helps, Ian.

andyn

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 12:40:24 pm »

I've decided to stick with the Taycol for now, I've cleaned and greased it and the shaft and now it happily purrs away. On 4v you can almost count the revolutions, if you blink you can see the prop stationary... On 7.2v however it chugs away nicely. I'm going to cool it with a couple of computer fans, one for drawing air in and one out, get a bit of a breeze going through the hull.

Will it need to be supressed on 27 meg? I'll give Mr. ACTion man a ring if it does.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 12:41:42 pm »

Bob, Andy has seen one of MMB's motors up close at Wicksteed as I put one in a straight runner on 24v-------(and he had to catch it  {-) {-))

You could still use a MMB motor Andy, lots of torque on 6-12v   ;)
Steamed up all the time

andyn

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »

I'm not going for speed with this one at all, nice scale speed.

Spent most of yesterday with the Dremel re-shiney-ing the funnels and prop, they look very good now.

Got it running in the bath, on a Ripmax Xtra Air 14 ESC.

It will need one hell of a lot of lead to get it down to that waterline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN4Q7D9Sc58

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 11:43:36 am »

Because it is an old motor with inefficient brush setup and open windings it needs suppression more than most but it is still possible to get it working well. Following the article I recommended and other info from forum members I ended up with a capacitor and resistor in series between the terminals, the same from each terminal to the frame of the motor and an earth wire from the frame of the motor to the propshaft tube. This made it go reasonably well but there were still a few glitches such as the motor would stop for a moment when the rudder was turned or the rudder would twitch when the throttle was altered. These were fixed by fitting the Ferrite Beads on to the power leads and the boat has gone well for the last couple of years. Hope this helps, Ian.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 03:45:17 pm »

Hi Andyn, Sea Urchin should be fine with a comet, you could then run on AA's maybe 5 to give 6 volts and hide them under the floor boards!
regards Roy

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 04:58:17 pm »

just been reading a copy of Dec 2004 Model Boats & guess what, it had a big screed on the Taycol
Comet motor, two pages, also what could be the boat you have, a Marlin Marine Cruiser. Page nos
32,33 & 34. Hope that helps
                                      Nemesis

andyn

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24:23 pm »

You couldn't scan it and send it to me could you please? My email is on my profile.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 07:00:16 pm »

The kit that appeared in the Taycol adverts at the time was the Veron Marlin, and the boat on page one defferably ain't one of those. Marlin has a front open cockpit, a central cabin separated from the rear deckhouse with an open "Stearing" cockpit, and the hull side elevation doesn't have a step.

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 10:29:03 pm »

Dec 2004, page 32/33 Model Boats mag, a big screed on the Taycol comet & its geared partner.
Also a picture of a Veron launch which looks like yours, cheers
                                   Nemesis

andyn

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 03:54:30 pm »

Sanded it for about 5 hours, primed and painted with 2 coats so far of Plasticote. Another 2 to come tomorrow.

Picture not good sorry there's rubbish on my camera lens, can't find the cleaner...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 04:30:33 pm »

Looking good Andy!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 04:49:36 pm »

Thanks Martin, shall rub it down with wet & dry and spray some more. Shall be up at Llanberis :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 08:29:39 am »

Looks nice Andy,one tip when using that plasticote be sure to laquer it as its not very hardwearing in my experience.Does give a nice finnish though,ive even used it on a cpl of my vees in the past.
Mart

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 11:58:26 am »

Don't do a Martin and rush the finish Andy!  :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 01:48:13 pm »

Andy, if you decide to lacquer, do not use Humbrol, the two are not compatable.
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

andyn

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 02:48:00 pm »

Laquering is the least of my problems at the moment im afraid :(( <:(

Just applied another thin coat without sanding it, it's all orange peeled. Thankfully it was a very little amount of paint so it'll sand off late tonight / early tomorrow morning, and I can respray late tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it'll be ready for Llanberis. All because of my idiocy I'm afraid {:-{

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 03:36:11 pm »

I wouldnt worry too much about orange peel you can wet sand that all off later then laquer and compound buff the laquer when its done.Plasticote does have its own laquer but ive never tested it for nitro proofing or is it going to be electric power.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 03:39:39 pm »

It's an old Taycol Comet leccy thing, I'll sand it down very late tonight and respray late tomorrow afternoon. Not too worried about it really it'll sand out. Still it's a right kick in the nuts to see something that was an absolutely perfect finish yesterday pretty much ruined today {:-{

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 04:57:40 pm »

We all make mistakes and or have things go wrong,imaging the feeling after you have spent a day waxing a mould then buffing it up to a perfect shine.Then painting on 3 coats of gelcoat and laying your resin and mat,then waiting another 12-24 hrs before pulling the moulding only to find there's small pinholes here and there in what would otherwise be a perfect moulding now thats a right kick in the crown jewels  >>:-(  ;).I went through that process a few times before i got the process riight and it can be very disheartening,don't worry too much about it you will get there in the end just keep at it mate.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2009, 12:20:12 pm »

Well I sanded it right back yesterday and just sprayed again. It peeled again, but only under the bows. The rest of it looks alright, I'll sand back the bows and sort them out after Llanberis. I'm sure it isn't doing my blood pressure too much good stressing about it trying to get it sorted perfectly for Friday. Right now I have the blood pressure of a steam engine...

Ah well.

Ramon

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 10:51:21 pm »

Andy
I read this yesterday for the first time.

First off mate you are doing a lovely job on a deserving and attractive subject :-)) :-)). The fact that you are keeping the old Taycol is really commendable too, you will have a real classic when it's finished.

Which brings me to - Second off I have to agree with Mart - don't rush it - take your time and try to adopt the 'It will be done when it's done' approach.
Honestly - "Been there etc" - It is so annoying afterward when you know it could have been that much better if it hadn't been quite so rushed. Resurecting something that's worn or discarded is as satisfying as building something new and more often than not even more so.

On the painting note I haven't used Plasticote so can't comment but if the layers are different ie primer, paint, clear give each layer plenty of time to harden off before the next. Difficult I know when you want to get on but 'oh' on looking back how I regret having not adhering to that principle in the past. Most painting disasters in my experience are caused by an incompatibility of products.

Don't want to 'teach Granny etc' here but if you are getting orange peel it could be your paint's too thick or your pressure isn't high enough. (Assuming you are using the correct thinner for the paint? (yeh, been there too <:(. )

Keep up the good work Andy - you're doing a fine job.

Ramon

andyn

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 11:57:14 pm »

Thanks Ramon, the whole problem really was I was trying to get it done in a hurry, for Llanberis this weekend. The first orange peeling was because like a complete idiot I didn't sand back after the first coat. I don't know what caused the second orange peel, but it was very minimal and sanded back easily. It is now roughly presentable enough for Llanberis, at least the hull is now wet-stuff-proofed, even if I haven't started on the upperparts yet. When I get back next week, after I've drawn plans of it up for a fellow forum member, I'll do something about getting it perfect :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.