Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Novgorod: A new old project  (Read 616 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Novgorod: A new old project
« on: November 13, 2023, 01:40:49 pm »

I found these images of my old final college project from 1997!

Once the actual project I had prepared for could not happen because of funding issues at college...... I decided to build a model of Novgorod based on plans and references in a book on odd ship designs. It included cigar ships built by the Winnans family amongst others and of the most famous family of vessels the circular 'Popovs'.

Image selection one shows the hull being turned from MDF. It caused quite a stir in the carpentry workshop because it was a big lump of laminated MDF and despite assurances from technicians that I could up the speed from quite slow, the only time I did speed the lathe up, it wobbled all over the place causing me to turn it off and lean on it to dampen down the now quite mobile lathe  :((

The turret was also turned as was the deck piece, funnels, Prop hubs, Shaft cones, Gun barrels and cowl vents*. The superstructure was built from Styrene sheet while The deck, turret floor and superstructure deck/roof were planked using veneer and impact adhesive with no attempt to create caulking.

The figures were converted from 1:50th scale architectural items to create one officer and two sailors.

The propellers were made thus: A propeller blade was made from acrylic bent and shaped. This was cast in resin from a silicone mould. Then Hubs were turned from Jelutong and the resin blades fitted to the hubs. These were then moulded and two three blade props and four four blade props cast.

The Cones that the shafts would have gone through were turned from Jelutong and the wide ends shaped until they fitted to the hull and the props mounted onto the outer ends with glue and some rod.

Ships wheels were made from a 1:76th scale waggon wheel with handles added mounted onto a styrene mount. Stanchions and other eyes were etched brass from Scale Link. The model was coated inside and out with epoxy resin and then painted using rattle cans and acrylic paint where applicable.

On the way home from college one weekend I lost a cowl vent, and being a lazy sod back then didn't make a replacement. I think it fell out of my friends car when we stopped in Petworth for a Chinese takeaway!

The model was displayed at the annual end of year show and thereafter lived at the college's display area for a year or two before I came and retrieved it. I then tried it in the water at the village pond where it understandably rode very high in the water. I kept it for about ten years but the damp got to the MDF and it plimmed up a bit and a few prop blades broke of etc etc. I disposed of it when I moved out of the family home in the noughties, but kept the figures and the stanchions!

Pond weed is your enemy

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
    • La mini-flotte de Lamiral67
Re: Novgorod: A new old project
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 02:35:31 pm »

Hello !
Not easy to navigate !!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 08:45:55 am »

HI BALLAST
that looks one weird shaped ship an made from mdf wow that wont go well with water as i found out with my big nimitz carrier as i made the two main bulkheads from mdf an after a span in the water it all blew up an i had to cut it off an refit new ply bulkheads but was this a real ship ?
chrisb :o :embarrassed:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 10:17:12 am »

To be honest Chris, it was only meant to be a display model but I tried to waterproof it just in case I ever popped it in the water.

She was very real and very round! She had a larger sister ship called Admiral Popov and a cousin which was a turtle shaped Imperial Yacht for the Tsars. I think the book I have is Bizarre Ships of the 19th Century by John Guthrie which includes these and other novel construction.
Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 10:59:48 am »

To be honest Chris, it was only meant to be a display model but I tried to waterproof it just in case I ever popped it in the water.

She was very real and very round! She had a larger sister ship called Admiral Popov and a cousin which was a turtle shaped Imperial Yacht for the Tsars. I think the book I have is Bizarre Ships of the 19th Century by John Guthrie which includes these and other novel construction.

OK Ballast many thanks for your reply about these round ships they must have been a job to steer
cheers for the info
chrisb

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 10:15:31 pm »

They were described as like driving a car on a frozen lake! The first fourteen Big Gun Monitors of WW1 were also similar in performance due to their huge torpedo bulges.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 22 queries.