Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The ship that never was - G3 - HMS Indomitable  (Read 53153 times)

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The ship that never was - G3 - HMS Indomitable
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 09:39:29 pm »

more  g3

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 09:42:56 pm »

more g3 pics

marmoi

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »

Hi Glynn,

I must be lucky as it was my misses who bought me the hull  :}

Mark

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 09:48:56 pm »

hope these pics help you in the build,,   colin bishop sent me these pics a while ago,  they resemble hms nelson so much

marmoi

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 09:50:27 pm »

Hi Brian,

The picture of the area behind the rear funnel and in front of the mastmast is where I am proposing to modify the ship as I want to build the model as just pre-war and after a re-fit in 1936, when hangers and two Walrus seaplanes were added (sounds authentic O0).

Mark

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 10:02:06 pm »

hi mark  heres some of my nelson 96th scale,   so so alike hope we get to see the finished project    brian_c  :-))

marmoi

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 10:11:37 pm »

Very nice Brian  :-))

I am certainly going to try and post everything thing on the forum, but I will admit now that my builds are not rushed affairs as I will spend ages getting things right. The current project is to get the guns turning and locking on target and then staying trained as the ship moves. this involves some brain bashing as the rear turret is pointing backwards, but first trials with a gyro are proving promising.

Mark

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 10:13:57 pm »

a few more of nelson,, when you look at them the resemble the g3  but the washington treaty stopped us from having the g3, it didnt stop hitler with bismark or the japs with their monsters,  any way, yr build is looking good, brian_c  :-)) :-)) :-))

Bowwave

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »

Hi Mark This is inspirational  model building  that will  start to  become persparational model building  but in the end a magnificent model  in the making , for sure .  :-)) :-)) :-))
Bowwave

marmoi

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 03:26:37 pm »

Hi Bowwave, This project is also going to take a lot of room, especially as I cannot get the hull into the workshop, so a major rethink has been going on in the garage and I have built a "test tank" in the garden. The tank is 12' x 4' so should be big enough for the near future.  ok2

Mark

marmoi

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 03:29:58 pm »

Brian, the picture of Nelson's bow breaking through the wave is superb, definately a once in a life time shot there.

Mark

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 07:12:05 pm »

hi mark uve not mentioned how long the g3 is going to be, and yr right, you cant rush in with a project that big, nelson took 3yrs to complete so i hope you have lots of time on yr hands, regards brian_c  :-))

Bowwave

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 07:34:41 pm »

Hi Mark  I   do like that  test tank  of yours .    :-))
I think we may see more  ships that never were ?
Bowwave  :-))

marmoi

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2009, 06:26:52 pm »

Hi Brian, The G3 is just about 9 foot long and the Dreadnought I have just finished took three and a half years.

marmoi

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2009, 06:30:48 pm »

Hi Bowwave, I have had the railway sleepers for a long time, it just took the appearance of a big model to spur me on to actually build the tank.

Always a glutton for punishment, I am also working on HMS Velox (1/96) and K3 one of the infamous steam powered K class submarines!

Mark

SinWin

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »

Looks like a promising, and big, project! I loved the smoke setup. Looking forward to seeing more of this ship =)

srcampb

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 06:08:44 am »

Awesome model project- are there 1/96 8 barrel pom poms and 4.7 AA mounts available? Any chance of getting a close up picture of the hull plating detail?

I wonder what one would have looked like ~1942 in an Admiralty Disruptive camouflage like HMS Rodney wore?

Will be a very interesting build to watch- Thanks!

marmoi

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2010, 07:46:34 pm »

8 barrel pom poms and the 4.7's are available from Deans Marine and I think John Haynes.

I have attached a picture of the hull plating detail.

Mark

srcampb

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 06:57:20 am »

Thanks for the close-up. I've been eyeing that hull and the Nelson hull for a lonnnggg time. Over here in the states, not very many people will have seen anything like them... Best of luck with the build, keep the thread going!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 07:15:41 pm »

What was the proposed Main Armanent on G3--- 14", 15" or 16" ???
Were they to be new guns or like the Vanguard's 15" taken from an older ship???
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »

16 inch guns, as subsequently fitted to Rodney and Nelson.

Colin

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 08:34:18 pm »

Thanks Colin
Jimmy :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

marmoi

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 09:04:54 am »

Well I have been a bit quite on this project, but I have been busy in the background looking at everything thats got to fit in the hull and also working on a couple of projects for the working features.

One of the new ideas I wanted for this model was training turrets, I have had moving turrets before, but I always feel that they are a bit of a let down as they never stay on target. So this time round with a "Little" bit more space to play with I have been talking to my helicopter buddy and in particular about his heading lock Gyro. Now normally these gyro's are used to keep the tail pointing in the direction it has been set, so I thought why not turn it around and use it in a turret.

The mechanism is now working and I am working on a small circuit to return the turret to midships when it reaches its stops (and not take out the superstructure!)

Video of the working turret here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIgZI2mLhOg

marmoi

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 09:32:49 am »

Right, the garden is almost done and a lot of the shows and events are over - back to a bit of serious model making!

I decided that while the weather was good I would use the chance to finish of the propolsion and steering.

The Brass props and Bronze A frames were cast for me by Prop Shop and they made a very nice job of them. I have made the shafts from 316L stainless steel, so should not have any corrosion problems. The prop tubes are made from Brass with Bronze bearings in each end. I added a gravity fed oiling system with a couple of Lathe oilers to act as reservoirs and to control the flow.

marmoi

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 10:02:50 am »

Next, I needed to make the rudder support. This was made from the same 10mm plate that I used for the rudder itself. I drew the profile of the original casting from the admiralty plans and stuck it on the plate. It was just a job of milling, filling and linishing to get the basic profile.

I marked out the hull and used a damond disc to cut away the fibre glass. The profile was test fitted and then shaped to fit. Filler will be used to blend the final profile.

Stainless steel pins were added to support the profile. I used the good weather to fit the prop shafts as well while I had everything setup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.