Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The ship that never was - G3 - HMS Indomitable  (Read 53158 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The ship that never was - G3 - HMS Indomitable
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2010, 09:05:02 am »

In the image "Rodney & Nelson"....Rodney has her A turrett depicted as being higher than her B turrett.   ...which is not correct ....Derek

I think it is right if you look at the position of the breakwater. You are just seeing B and X turrets. A turret seems to have been painted out - or maybe it was trained in another direction.

Colin

steve pickstock

« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2010, 09:41:11 am »

The shadows for a turret are there - they're in the wrong position to be the shadows for B turret's guns.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2010, 10:37:14 am »

As Colin notes......A turret seems to have been painted out - or maybe it was trained in another direction.

I must agree Colin  :-))..........the center of the photograph did not capture the A turret.........so the turret must have been trained to port......

This then explains the visual etc  O0 ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

marmoi

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2010, 08:07:12 am »

Now I know I am probably going to put the Cat amongst the pigeons, but I have been dong more research into the gun elevation and came across this video on Youtube and half way through it definitely shows gun being elevated individually and not as a group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp0Mr5Lcl8

Eric65

« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2010, 08:38:00 am »

There were two methods of firing; Broadsides, where ALL guns fired at the same time, were reloaded and fired again together. This was actually inefficient as by the time you had reloaded and fired again you had usually lost the aim on your target.

The other method was 'salvos' where individual guns were fired and reloaded. A ship like Nelson or Rodney would salvo fire one gun from each turret at 30 second or so intervals. This put 3 shells in the air at a time and spread out the firing into 'continuous firing' without a pause allowing ajustments to firing resulting in improved chances in hitting.
So each turret might have gun No.1 firing, No.2 preparing to fire and No.3 reloading resulting in the guns all being at different angles at all times.

rsm

« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:03 am »

Here is another vid showing the guns on a Nelson class battleship being elevated separately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IIfjEuN5ZY

marmoi

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2010, 08:36:56 pm »

Now it's not worth getting the guns right unless you have some sound.

I spent a lot of time looking round for a sound module that would let me have a few sounds to play with, without an engine sound! This is not easy to find, but after talking the Dave at Action I went for the P100 sound module and the additional CD for programming it. I must say congratulations on such a simple yet powerful application  :-)). After a couple of experiments I soon had it working and after reading the extra manual on the CD I had the sounds setup and loaded.

Now as the G3 is not a particularly small boat, I thought I would have a decent sound system. So 1x75W woofer and 1x12W tweeter with a good sized car Amp later, I had a very nice sounding system (good enough to be heard from the Sitting room, while testing in the garden and thats a 12" thick brick wall!  {-)).

I have uploaded a video for you to here the sounds, so follow the link and enjoy  O0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJlU6fTCYU

steve pickstock

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »

Got this picture in my head of the Indomitable tooling across the lake putting down the wicked beats, man, innit?

Seriously though, nice work.

marmoi

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2010, 02:45:09 pm »

STOP PRESS

The G3 is setting sail to Leamington this weekend, so you are all invited to come along and say hello.

The model can be seen on the Burton stand and I will be there all day Saturday, hopefully with sounds working.

Mark

Bowwave

« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2010, 02:57:18 pm »

Look forward to that  O0
Bowwave

Dave13

« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2011, 06:36:15 pm »

Hi Mark
I don't know if some one has asked this before but how did you make the smoke generators???

marmoi

« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2011, 08:01:31 am »

HI,

The smoke generators were built to my specfication by Mark (another one) at Mark's Model Bits (MMB).

Dave13

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2011, 09:59:24 am »

Hi
thanks for that :-)

Yarpie

« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2011, 11:51:49 am »

Mark,

I've just discovered this thread. Remarkable job! Fantastic attention to detail and a real credit to you.

Are you aware of Alex McFadyen's HMS ANSON? The model (along with his Gold Medal Award winning HMS VANGUARD) is displayed at Beale Park, Pangbourne, Reading in their little maritime museum.

Certainly worth a look for comparison purposes.

Sandy.

marmoi

« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:44 am »

Hi Sandy,

Yes I have seen the model in detail and speak to Alex quite regularly about my build.

It's very interesting building a model of a historical ship that was never built and especially as I am dong her after a 1934 refit.

Mark

marmoi

« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:06 am »

Went to the Ellesmere spring show this weekend and as the weather was very favourable, took the chance to put the G3 in the water for her first "sea trials".

I must admit I was very pleased with her perfromace and I am sure the manoeuvring will be even better once the rudder is working as well!!!  {-)

Eric65

« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2011, 10:18:09 pm »

She does look good.

How much ballast did she need?

marmoi

« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2011, 08:00:29 am »

Apart from the 12V wheelchair batteries, I currently have another 16 kgs of divers weights fore and aft.

marmoi

« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »

Had a chance to do some more work on the turret designs (while her in doors was painting the bedroom  {-) ) and spent a bit of time drawing up the 6" turrets

marmoi

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »

I am going to keep the mechanism fairly simple for the gun elevation in the smaller turrets and hope this idea will work (another experiment coming up!)

marmoi

« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2011, 02:58:35 pm »

The two turrets are looking good now and match the photos well.

marmoi

« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2011, 07:54:31 pm »

I was looking through the forum the other day when I came across the 3D Printing subject

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22134.0

and was very interested in the Shapeways site that it mentioned http://www.shapeways.com

As you know I have been doing a lot of my planning in 3D for this model, so I thought I would give it a go and have one of the smaller turrets built so I could try out the elevation method.

marmoi

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2011, 07:57:58 pm »

After one minor mishap (posted the model with the wrong scale and it came out 2mm across), the model was soon made and arrived within a week of ordering. I had assembled the four parts (Outer casing, base and two gun mounts) into a smaller kit.

marmoi

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2011, 08:03:36 pm »

The material is very strong, but light and the parts were soon parted on the jigsaw and cleaned up on the linisher.

I had allowed for the layered effect on the curved roof of the turret casing in my design, so this was linished back with no ill effect.

This process can handle wall thickness down to 0.7mm, which was not quite enough for me to produce the barrels as well. But it did allow me to build in the 1mm holes for the gun mount axles and after running a drill through them by hand to clean them up allowed me to insert brass pins straight in.

marmoi

« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2011, 08:06:05 pm »

The plastic is also very easy to paint, with no special operations or primers required.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.