Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:8 scale Miss Circus Circus Build  (Read 18550 times)

addz0009

1:8 scale Miss Circus Circus Build
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:59:53 pm »

This is my build of the Miss Circus Circus Hydroplane to be fitted with a .67 watercooled motor. Please follow this thread and let me know what you think.

Proteus

Re: 1:8 scale Miss Circus Circus Build
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 06:43:43 pm »

is it a kit or plans ? I am after a set of plans to build a 24-30 " boat for brushless and yours looks very nice, the sort of thing I am after, it looks very neat your build keep up the pictures

Proteus

addz0009

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 07:06:48 pm »

Here is the 3/16 rails getting glued in, note the weight saving holes along the sponson rails. The sponsons will be filled with ping pong balls very light and float. It is being scratch built from a plan 44" inch long / 23" inch wide at front.

Ramon

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:18:41 pm »

Hi Adam,

I have been building an Atlas van Lines off and on alongside my Huntsman. I wasn't going to comment on it until that was finished as I didn't want to seem as if I was running before walking but you've sort of pre-empted that thought.

I will be very interested in your build and your thoughts as you go along. Hydro's are definitely my intended route but I'm only just back in the game after a long thirty year layoff. But it is what I'm most interested in.

Like you I am scratch building and have used the free downloadable plan off the Astec Models website. I have needed to concentrate on the Huntsman but this is now complete ready for paint so I shall be able to get back on it very soon. I don't have a latest stage pic but this is close

Currently it has the radio box fitted, fuel tanks plumbed in and the hardware fitted.

I have had a post on RC unlimited and had some very helpful advice from one 'Hydro junkie'

The engine is an OPS60 - what make of engine are you going to use?

I wish you luck with yours - keep those pics coming

Best Regards - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:02:28 am »

Very nice build Adam she looks very good,how about some more info on materials used in the build etc.As you know i run gas hydros and my thinking is theyre more reliable and cost friendly especially if your thinking of a stock class that everyone can afford.Keep up the good work i cant wait to see how she turns out.By the way try pool noodles for the floatation its very cheap and works great and can be cut to fit anywhere snugly and secureley and its light too.I get all mine from the local poundshop,last lot i got was on sale at 50p each so i bought the lot lol.
Mart

Ramon

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:44:58 am »

Mart
If you cant find them in the local pound shop any idea where else they're sold? I keep reading about them but have no idea what they are? or, other than your suggestion, where to get them from.
Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »

Try wilkos or similar type shops that sell kids swimming aids etc.Theyre just fopam tubes that dont absorb water theyre arround 4-5 ft long 3" diam ish.Woolworths used to sell them but sadly theyre no more.
Mart
ps Ramon your boat looks good too
these are the things i mean but these are a bit expensive i normally get em cheaper,you can also us central heating foam pipe insulators from b&q theyre even cheaper just not as big diam but arround 65 p each theyre also very good and wont absorb water.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swimming-Pool-Noodle-Woggle-Float_W0QQitemZ120432817210QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Swimming_Pools_Hot_Tubs?hash=item1c0a5af43a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

easier to find :-))
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273771&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372016%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372050%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372231%7d&fh_refview=lister&ts=1245496810003&isSearch=false

Ramon

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 02:08:55 pm »

Thanks Mart now I know what to look for I'll get on to it.

Out of interest I suppose the noodles are hollow too. Just thinking that if not they would provide more bouyancy for a given volume. I was thinking of filling my sponsons with polystyrene beads but can well imagine the mess as I stick the top skins on - some kind of not too sticky bonding agent needed I guess to stop them flying all over the place. After reading the horror stories of expanding foam it won't be that route though.

Adam - I thought after my post - didn't mean to gatecrash your thread, just keen to show my interest in the subject and in your build. I'm afraid I have no intention of racing/competing but would love to keep in contact with those of a similar interest.

Please tell us more about the design - whose plan, materials etc

Regards - Ramon

addz0009

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 02:27:56 pm »

Hi Ramon,

No problem just glad to see there is more people out there with the same interest i have in Unlimiteds. Keep me upto date with the Atlas, 

My Miss CC is mainly 1/8 and1/16 marine ply, with  small amount 1/4 ply. The whole thing was dry assembled then measured and checked, then tacked with Zap cyano then white glued every part. I try to use a little epoxy as possible as you would be surprised as to how much weight it adds.

I am thinking a rossi .67 engine....
The plan was sourced on the internet it was restored by great_plans back in 2006, not the greatest had some rworking to do on some formers (with help from my father) but all in all not bad.

Regards
Adam

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »

Ramon noodles are not hollow ;),dont use polystyrene they soak up water and fuel  :o.Hi Adam i use white glue and epoxy on all my wooden builds.Weight isnt much of an isue these boats can get very flighty and a little extra weight isnt such a bad thing at 60+ mph  :D.You should check out the zippkits ones theyre awesome runners,easy to build not many formers at all in them really.Not true scale but that makes em great runners,true scale hydros dont run so great i know a guy who has an old dumas true scale slomo shun with a  zenoah he was very surprised how well mine ran compaired to his as his takes full width of the lake to turn.The sponsons on mine are way bigger mainly longer so that helps a lot.Out of interest whats the angle of attack on your ride surface on the sponsons?.
Mart

addz0009

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:06:17 pm »

Here is a picture of sponson having just fitted the rails in,  3/16 spruce.

Mart to answer your question the ride angle of attack is 3 degrees.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 01:14:26 pm »

Cheers mate the Rockett has a 2% angle but im going to fit ride pads to increase speed even more,my comet allready has ridepads.On both boats one sponson is bigger than the other hard to tell by looking,its so as to aid turning and helps speed in the turns no end.Ride pad on one side is 1/2" the other its 3/4" wide theyre both 1/8" high for the same reason.Apparently it gives an imediate 5-6 mph speed boost over the same hull without them,but a strut adjustment is needed as the hull runs higher from the water.
Mart

Ramon

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:44:38 pm »

Hi Adam, How is the Miss CC coming along.

Managed to get a couple of days on mine last week so thought you might like to see where its at.

I just have a small bit of work to do to fit some access hatches over the fuel tanks then I can get the insides epoxied and get the top skins on.
Incidentally, I have only used epoxy around the engine bearer area. The rest has been built using 'Titebond 3' woodworking glue. Claimed to be totally waterproof it has a phenominally quick grab time. It's the first time I have used it but am very impressed with it.

Mart, 'Ride pads' - are these an add on, a trimming aid after early sessions or something you fit to improve performance beforehand. They appear to be uniform thickness ie they don't change the angle of the sponson or do they?

If 'Proteus' is reading this you may be interested that there are some free downloadable hydro drawings on the Astec models site.

Regards for now - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:14:14 am »

Hi Ramon the ridepads were an add on to my zippkits and improve performance around 5 mph this was told to me by Joe the designer,ive yet to add them to her but ill be doing it in the next few weeks.On my Comet the glass one in the pic i decided id go for it and add some to it,i just copied the dimensions although they're a tad longer as this boat is a little longer.They are 1/8" thick no angle on them so they don't change the sponson angle they just create lift,so baring that in mind the strut needs adjusting to keep the nose down,as you know you want a hydro to run slightly nose down or they will blow off the water.My mate who i built it for has an rcmk motor in her and first run she ran perfectly at around 50 mph while running in.I sent her with the strut settings i have on my hydro and it seemed to be about right.I would think with some fine tuning and the right prop she should be able to hit 60s,ill be swapping out my full mod zenoah into another one ill be building soon and see how she compares to my wooden zip.By the way i admire your building skills she looks very nice,ive been considering altering the orriginal plug i made for the comet moulds to make her a picklefork design.
Mart
heres her maiden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJP0PrWkxs

Ramon

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 11:00:46 pm »

Thanks for the info Mart and your kind comments. I've been building things for many years and don't think too much about it, just get fired up about something particular model wise and just get on with it. 'Building' is one thing but working technical knowledge is another - that's were you guy's come in as most of mine is with model aircraft.

Regretably I'm unable to watch anything on 'youtube' and some other, but not all, video footage. I have an Acer 5630 laptop which I think should be capable but whenever I try it insists I do not have Flash Player which it appears I do along with Java script enabled but it keeps asking me to enable that too!

I very little idea when it comes to computers other than basic input, so I really must get it seen to but when? Probably when it's too late I guess!! In the meantime I'm only too aware that I'm missing out on some good video footage.

Regards - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 09:33:55 am »

No worries mate maybe your firewall is blocking it? or maybe you just need to click install when it mentions flash player, maybe yours is out of date?.Can you use photo bucket i have some of my rockett on there anyway heres a diff link that might work for you i hope.
Mart
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm248/martno1fan/?action=view&current=ROCKETTLETTINGHERRIP.flv

ps by the way Ramon i have a great copy of The 2008 orlando thunderboats from the winter nationals  if you want a copy ill let you have one free of charge and post you it on DVD .Has some special features too like an interview with my mate Joe Petro who designed the Rockett and helped me via email to come up with my own Comet.

Ramon

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 11:57:32 pm »

I think the best thing Mart will be to get it up to the local shop who it turns out are Acer agents - took me near 40 mins to get on line today so I guess its time for a bit of a declog!

Thanks for the kind offer on the thunderboats DVD, I would love to see it so will pm you my address. Even SWIMBO has expressed an interest!! Actually despite my 'HI' comments she's a great 'co-pilot' and always supports me in my modelling - even had her flying control line at one time though I think she might baulk a bit at driving a hydro!

Adam, I was thinking of a separate thread on the Atlas but don't want to be seen as 'competing'. Obviously it will be a bit retrospective as its well under way - any thoughts?

All the wood work is now complete ready for the top skins but I need to epoxy the insides first - the humidity so high at the moment however I'm a bit reluctant to begin until things weatherwise settle down again.

Regards - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 09:07:03 am »

In the post on Monday mate along with another one of my hydro  :-)),have to say i admire all the work you two are putting into these builds,lots of frames in there and to be doing it from scratch is no easy task .I cheated as i built mine from a kit and had it done in a cpl of weeks work so i aplaud you guys for all your work.
Mart

addz0009

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 04:56:29 pm »

Hi Ramon,

No problem would love to see your progress...Also it would be nice to try and drum up some interest out there..

Come on everyone lets get a new Unlimited Scale class going..

Adam

addz0009

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 06:03:21 pm »

Hello Guys

Finally got back into the workshop...

Here is a photo of the first piece of top sheeting in place 1/16 marine ply. Lets hope that i can get a few good days in as i would like to start getting some stuff into place and checked before the final fit .

Adam

addz0009

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 08:56:10 pm »

Well got the sheeting on opposite side taped up and glued :o

Blue foam in the front bay of sponson, the 2 bays behind will be filled with pingpong balls super lite and great bouyancy. Think i am going to mould my own top deck as the one's i have found in the US are $80 upwards not including p&p.

Once the other top deck has set and been trimmed i will start to get an idea of what room i have to play with.

Well thats all for now people
Adam

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:18:00 pm »

Looking good Adam i wouldnt use the pingpong balls might get eaten by the fuel?.When you say you want to mould a top deck what do you mean isnt the wooden one ok or do you mean the cowl?.Cowls are easy enough to make,i made my own plug for one and moulded from and it they came out pretty good.I have some pics if you want to see them.I hope you sealed everything inside that sponson before you fastened the top sheet on with epoxy?.
Mart

addz0009

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 07:36:00 pm »

Finished shaping the 2 main top decks, with regards to the cowling it is a fibreglass one from Bill Fritz in Ohio. Cnnot seem to find any more info on the net.(any help sourcing cowls would be gratefully appreciated)...
I am either going to make a wooden one not to difficult or i am going to make a plug and mould one. I pefer the first option then i can modify as i go along as i have a few ideas that seem to be missing off the plan.

Someone put the idea in my head the other day about going electric and lipo HHHMMMMM!!!! (won't sound the same though)

Hey MArt watched the vid of your boat nice :-)) i will have to come up and try that lake out sometime...

andyn

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 10:10:17 pm »

Someone put the idea in my head the other day about going electric and lipo HHHMMMMM!!!! (won't sound the same though)

PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease Don't...

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 10:44:59 pm »

Adam your most welcome mate,as soon as shes finnished bring her down we can have a run side by side yours with mine they would look pretty awesome running together,gas versus nitro hmmm  ok2.If you need any help with the cowl let me know,in fact ill get in touch with a mate in the states hes a mine of info on these things im sure he will know where to get a cowl from.His names Dave Weagle hes built lots of these from Roger Newtons plans and also a cpl of kits.Ill be down in Goole which isnt far from Hull in a cpl of weeks time id love to pop down have a look at her in person,all been well ill have a glass hydro done by then ill bring her down for you to look at if you like.By the way what year is this boat from ill find out asap where i can find a cowl for her.
Mart
ps dont go lipo think of it this way what killed the unlimited hydros as a spectator sport,it was turbines who wants to have a quiet race? no one not me anyways not when you can hear a rolls royce merlin flying by at 180 mph lol same goes for rc if it aint noisy it aint fun  :D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.