Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedline Models Tamar testing motors.  (Read 7422 times)

flundle

Speedline Models Tamar testing motors.
« on: June 20, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »

Hello all.  I had a great couple of hours yesterday running my Tamar around the lake in Cleethorpes.  Paul Wood loaned me some motors and controllers and installed them in the boat and made the video.  He has been a great help, many thanks Paul.  Anyway, though you might like to see the results.  Look on You Tube under Speedlinemodels tamar on test.  About four videos in total.

Mark47

Re: Speedline Models Tamar testing motors.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:18:57 pm »

I found two videos, very impresive.

What motors did you have in her?

Mark

Proteus

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:23:39 pm »

This may make it easy to view , and yes what motors and any pictures inside the boat please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38PFN5G9GiM

Proteus,

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:42:41 pm »

Do we know when the fittings kits will be available for the Tamar??

Russ

flundle

Speedline Models Tamar on test
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 08:13:02 pm »

On You Tube there are some videos of my 1/12th Tamar on test.  You can see them by looking for 'Speedlinemodels Tamar on test'.
There are several videos each showing how she performed on different voltages.
They show her running on 12V, then 18 and then on 24. 
The motors are Thumper 3055's and the speed controllers were 100 amp jobbies borrowed from Paul Wood.  I have just bought some from Barracuda 80, speed controllers from Overlander (motors from them too) and this set-up with the scale 55mm props works very well, lots over scale speed so its there if you want it so to speak.
I am going to have a chat with John from Model Power re batteries but as things are I will be running two 12v 7Ah 'Titan' style Lead Acids.  This will produce some  very long run times and great performance. 
The motors are 380kV so on 12V plenty fast enough and they pull fewer amps than going for faster motors on fewer volts so everything stays cool.
I'm on holiday for a week now but when I get back I have some more test results that you might find interesting concerning running times.

mook

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:04:15 pm »

I checked Overlanders website looking for the motors you said (3055) they dont exist, typing error i think  O0
Mook

Robert Davies

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 05:04:55 pm »

I checked Overlanders website looking for the motors you said (3055) they dont exist, typing error i think  O0
Mook

I suspect it may be these:

http://www.overlander.co.uk/product.asp?cid=10&scid=96&pid=2200

-Rob

flundle

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 05:16:06 pm »

:-))
Yes indeed, your quite right,  5055's they are.
Thanks

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 10:25:36 pm »

Hi flundle, your 52" hull will easily carry 2x 12v 7Ah batts  ok2. Running these batts in parallel will give 14Ah available at 12v - How long is your running time? (mixed periods of 'tootling' and high speed/planing) Members would be very grateful for this performance/duration feedback. Are 'Titan' batts superior to/same size compared with the usual 'gel jobs'?
The supplier website gives very limited data on your outrunner 5055's - if you received a detailed spec sheet this info it would be very useful.
Your big Taymar  8) planing on the lake is very impressive.  :-))   

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 09:49:25 pm »

Very impressive I must say, I have just fitted brushless motors in my 1/12th Severn, along with 2 100amp esc running on 12 volt NMH F cell pack from model power, it not cheep (£110.00) but my running time is over 1 hr, with still lots left to go, and to power a model that weighs 24.5kg in the water :-)) :-))

Photo was taken Saturday 4th July at the Newhaven open day.

Phil.

Robert Davies

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 10:00:16 pm »

Which motors and ESCs Phil?

As an aside, there's some very good and innovative stuff in this field coming out of China right now. Perusing http://www.hobbycity.com can be quite an eye opener....

-Rob

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 07:15:50 am »

Rob, my motors are Emax 4030 and the esc are seaking 100amp with cooling fans on, I have had them some time, I also have a 40 amp fuse fitted in line on each esc.

Phil

flundle

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:11:27 pm »

Looks very well Phil.  Hope you had a good day.

The motors in the Tamar are Tornado C5065's.
On the label it says :
1400Watts Max
80A ESC
3-9 Lipo.

Choosing the Speed controllers was difficult because wow, are they expensive!
Considering the 80A requirement on the motor, I have gone for a Barracuda-80 from Castle Creations in the USA.
It has a resistance of 0.0006 Ohms so should run very cool, even with 80 Amps at 24Volts going throught it.  It won't actually ever get near that because I will fuse it at 40Amps too to be sure.  With the motors only good for 1400 Watts at 24Volts that means max Amps of less than 60.  I just cant see a model of this weight ever getting close so I am pretty confident with the plan.

Not too suprisingly, we lost two props messing about.  (The new ones are tapped through with lock-nuts both sides to be sure).  A rudder came loose on the shaft and I found that with the bow thruster on the left stick it was too easy to run the thruster when well out of the water.  Practice I guess!
Having just read the instructions for programming the speed controller, I'm thinking of taking up gliding....... :-)
The fittings for the Tamar are done now thank goodness, what a game?.  I thought the Tamar would be a piece of cake after the Severns. WRONG!  All new, pin sharp resin castings, no metal ones at all and some very natty constructions with mind blowing detail built in.  A few bits coming out of it too for general sale: scale section fendering (still waiting for that though) and scale 2 ball stanchions in turned brass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.