Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: brushless converstion  (Read 3123 times)

hover tim

brushless converstion
« on: May 10, 2009, 09:27:02 am »

Hi All

Not realy a boat but some of your ideas may be useful to me i curerently have a hovercrft that is diriven by two speed 600 motors into gearboxes I would like to replce this with two brushless motors but as you can see from the pic below the the props have to be a certin distance froim the pylon so they dont hit them so the brushless motors would have to be mounted on the plyon ring to bring the props to the right distance away from the pylon but the pylon rings are made of ply and are subjcet to wobble so what i wanted to do was bend some sheet metal prop ally bent to the shape of the top of the pylon and bolted to the rings i think i would need some titanium bar to strengthan the whole thing would this work and any recamendation for motors i dont need them so go vvery fast just scale speed

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: brushless converstion
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:07:18 am »

Hi....... hover tim....we can see what appears to be substantial mounting of the 600 series motors......[with one metal thread screw & Nylock nut] yet to be refitted....however we see some distortion in the mounting flange to the speed ~~ reducer~~ say between say 2200 & 0200????  hours on the clock face   {:-{

I am unsure here....but visually one would have to question this ........also REM..[titanium] ...is great....but expensive  >>:-( .. and questionable if you are using galvanized steel plate for the main motor cages...........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:39:17 pm »

HoverTim

Sorry about the slow reply - its the old brain :}

The 600s are geared - I wonder why, but don't really need to know
I'm assuming a gearing of about 2:1 and also assuming a KV of the motor of around 2500 rpm/v (don't knkow which one it is)
You already have moubnts which will (exactly)  fit any S600/550/540/S500 motor (all the same diameter)

You COULD fit an inrunner BL of the type used for cars but the KV is usually fairly astronomical and it would probably be too short
As a sad Mech Eng I would make a motor mount of S600 diameter shaped like a long S600 and clamp it up in the clamp till the motor face is in the right position to screw the BL motor in position.
One easy way to do this is to use and old or dead or unloved S600/550/540/S500 motor (howk out the rotor if you want to save weight) - screw the BL motor to the front of the motor case, or use a piece of 1/8 ply as adaptor

Or what I do is to cut a cylinder of hard blue foam using an old motor can as the plug cutter, face one end with ply, wrap it with 1/64 9o.4mm )ply to strengthen and screw BL motor to the ply end

With both plans you can adjust the prop position endwise till it fits.

If you care to pass us some more info (type of S600, gear ratio, prop size) we could be is wee bit more aimed in suggestions :}
andrew

hover tim

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:11 am »

After speaking to a friend the cost of the conversion was getting out of hand instaed i have decide to renew the gearboxes and put some vario props on but i cant find a uk suppliear of planatery gear boxes is there any reason for this,this is what i am after  MJ8050 Planetary Gearbox for SPEED 400 3.33:1 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:23:10 am »

It would appear that the States and Hobby Lobby is the place to go.

http://www.hobby-lobby.net/gear400.htm
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.