Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presto, a perfectly traditional Footy  (Read 27395 times)

AndyT

Re: Presto, a perfectly traditional Footy
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 09:25:29 am »

So no chance of you vac forming this one then Andrew!
Rgds
AndyT

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 12:47:01 pm »

AndyT - not very likely, I think.  I can't see "shiny" being the hot setup for one of Flavio's masterpieces :}

Fine sanded and coated the outside of the hull last night with epoxy.  This morning it is gratifyingly hard and I will give it a severe wet rubbing down when it is perfectly hard.

Sorry about the mess in the background - its where I do the messy work!
I mixed about 5 gms of Aeropoxy which had been sat in front of a fan-heater for an hour, added about the same volume of alcohol (methylated spirit in the UK)  whatever you call ethanol anywhere else.  It was very fluid and when applied to the bow and stern I could hear it vanishing into the end grain with an enthusiastic slurping sound :}

Inside of the hull has already been treated to a dolllop of acrylic fast-drying-varnish mixed with microbaloons to make a slurry - it fill holes, sands well and allows the wood to be seen as well.

andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 12:58:22 pm »

JohnC

I've admired your bawley - something like that lies in my future.  I will need bigger balsa sheets :}

There are several Footys which are more aimed at aesthetic satisfaction than racing - to name a few thare is Pintail (must have the steersman), Freya (used to be George Turner - his remaining stock of hulls should still be available), Richard Webbs SU120 (semi-scale Itchen Ferry)    And all of Flavio's output - Presto, Folgore and Brando :}

A3 sheets of graph paper are available in reasonably big stationers.  I am very lucky in being able to print A3 at work - makes sizing and scaling fairly easy.
All the folk reading this would like to see your thinking as it progresses - you have said exactly what a lot of people think :}
andrew

John C

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 03:36:35 pm »

And lots of red and green acrylic  {-)
I had seen the pintail and thought it looked quite good then noticed that a gaff rigged version is TBA. I'm thinking of a plank on frame model though, so it's on the pending list until I can come up with the drawings.
Oh and boy do I miss the office printer. I went to the local copy shop to get some frame drawings enlarged, I must have told the woman half a dozen times she needed to set it at 150% of original!! another half a tree wasted.

John C

amdaylight

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 04:01:15 pm »

John,

Instead of a copy shop you need to go to a shop that specializes in blue prints and the such. They wont be any more expensive but they understand much more how to enlarge and scale down a drawing than a regular copy shop. Also they have printers big enough to print some thing 36"x48" at a slightly more expensive price.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 04:21:15 pm »

John

You wouldn't like to change you name to andrew, would you?  It just makes replying to people SO much easier :}

I have permission to release the lines of Blackwatch - and will post them or PM them to you if it would help.  I would also run some prints at A3 if you let me have the files.

Pintail - Graham does a gaff-rigged version of his footy rigs - it is available at least as drawings - I have raced against one at Burton!  (I think the UK agent is his brother)
SU120 has a nice tall gaff rig - it was published in Model boat a couple of years ago.
andrew

John C

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 07:36:00 pm »

Yes please mail lines, address still as per profile.
As for the name change.............I'm not sure, her indoors still has trouble with John, it normally has a prefix if you know what I mean (as in "are you still in the shed" or "how long are you going to be in that shed" or "i'm off to bed, lock up when you come in").
I have the plans for SU120, but I'm more of a rounded sort (in more ways than one) rather than hard chine. And although I've never attempted it before, having seen MCR's clinker built hull for his borderer steam plant, I fancy a go at one (clinker hull that is).
Could turn out a complete disaster..............but nothing ventured and all that. When I get around to it, I'll post if it works but another project in the way at the moment.

An interested John C

P.S. Andre, I live in what you guys would call the backwoods, I know how to do stuff but try telling that to the locals. They would rather waste a tree, and the frames I wanted enlarging still fitted A4.............(do you have A4 over there?) sorry just a take on a previous post about the UK not having Imperial measures any more.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 01:10:17 pm »

Progress with Presto!

Good news - the prototype by Flavio seems to be accelerating, too with a tentative plan of sailing them together at the Footy Eurochamps at Birkenhead

I have progeressed on many little fronts, and got as far as making sail patterns!

Keel made and fitted - 1/4 balsa.  I have found this quite strong enough - it gets about 3 coats of acrylic sealer and a lump of lead on the bottom.

The hull has had its second epoxy coat, and I have matted it heavily using wet-and-dry (wet)
The rudder has been considered - here is the first stab

the stained bit is the "SCALE" part, and everything else will be painted a dark, neutral grey to "disappear"

Rigging roughly mocked up - this is without rreference to the rigging diagram, so alll errors and irish pendants are mine alone
andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 01:21:20 pm »

And thinking right along......

scale rudder

scale RUDDER
andrew

andyn

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 01:59:39 pm »

I think I'm going to make one of these footy jobs, got all the kit to do it so I may as well.

A while ago you posted a link to some plans, where are they Andy #1?

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:56 am »

Sorry about the pause, life got in the way

Drawings will be sent and posted (of Blackwatch) - possibly Flavio will publish the plans for Presto later
Prestos has progressed a long way, and I'm glad to say so has Flavio's version

The launch - waterline looks suitable at this stage

I have just piled servos, rx and batteries (4 x AAA) into the hull to get the weight about right
Fin is 1/4 balsa - I have found that quite strong enough
more in minute
andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 09:14:21 am »

And so to sails

SO I need more rake on the mast  - fortunately I had anticipated this and made the mast hole long enough to ber able to move the rig fore and aft, and also adjust the rake

Today is decks and servos - all things being equal!
andrew

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 09:31:09 am »

Looking lovely, Andrew - what is the typical displacement for a hull like this? Is it a problem to build light enough?

Regards,

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

AndyT

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 04:37:31 pm »

Andrew
Presto is looking very good indeed

I'm in-presto-ed

Rgds
AndyT

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 10:41:00 am »

Sorry about the hiatus in build - if fact the build has progressed apace but I have not been near a computer to be able to post easily

Anyway - long story short as and American friend says - launched this morning - sailed welll :}

Now to finish her off before the Footy Eurochamps at Birkenhead this Saturday and Sunday

When last seen I had jury-rigged the sails - I have since sorted out the control geometry (made a little more difficult by the semi-scale nature of the beast)

Because of the way I had arranged the rudder hinges - particularly the hinge line very close to the transom, which made it difficullt to use any kind of pushrod or cables (because the "tiller" part would hit the transom)  I absolutely require the rudder operation to be hidden and under the deck

So I have used the andrew-whipstaff

trial fit of deck

Rigging proceeding
andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 11:36:17 am »

video of the whipstaff in operation - sorry about the idiot yorping

And the sailing?
 :} :-)) :} :-))

andrew

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:26 am »

Love the whipstaff - that's a neat fix to a problem.

Good luck with regards to finishing her for the weekend!

Andy, needin' one of these.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 01:48:29 pm »

Very nice!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

AndyT

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2009, 10:53:39 pm »

Andrew ~ I do hope you were pleased with the weekend? I was sad not to be there to share it with you guys
Do hope you had fun
See you at the nationals?
Rgds
AndyT

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 12:56:15 pm »

Andy (ALL the andys) it was a blast

Presto sailed eventually very well.
I will catch up with the missing bit but here she is with her elder sister and designer, Flavio Faloci

I had trouble with swamping - 30kt winds will do that - and had to put the "measurement rig" into service to cope with them.  All the drowned servos and receivers have returned to life :}

more coming

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2009, 12:59:52 pm »

A Heartwarming fairy tale

If you have tears prepare to shed them now (which I think is a quote from the Tax Form)

Once upon a time in the magical kingdom of Birkenhead there was a young Presto who came of age and went looking for one of her own kind.

One fine day day she dabbled her feet in the limpid water (in fact she dabbled EVERYTHING in the water before the waterproofing was sorted) and

All at once she espied another of her kind. Could it be she is not the only Presto in the world? They cautiously approached each other..........

(you, too would approach with caution when you have such a long bowsprit )

Indeed it was another Presto! Excitingly different, with all the sophistication of an italian-cut Jib . They circled each other warily

Then, recognising the sheer attraction of their attractive sheerlines they swum off together

We leave the story there as this is a family site - but we now know that Prestos need never be alone.
(Chorus of Ahhhhhhhhs)
That's all, Folks!
andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2009, 01:13:57 pm »

A little filling-in (having re-read the posts)
The current home page of Footydom is
http://footy.rcsailing.net/
With lots of plans available for free or very nearly on
http://footy.rcsailing.net/plans.php

The Poles at Birkenhead all used Opalek which is laser-cut from reclaimed satsuma-ply
There is a complete write up at
http://www.mt.com.pl/num/06_09/opalek.pdf
Laser cut parts sets with accessory kits will be available at good prices - there are a few on the way - feel free to contact me if you would like one

Blackwatch plans are here (no password required)
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd159/andrewh_photo/Footys/Blackwatch/?start=all
and look like this

If you build one or anything derived from it please let me know how she goes - or better still post a build log. 
Please know that the designer is Trevor Paetkau, a good and generous man and he would also be fascinated by your efforts

andrew
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 23 queries.