Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it still a springer ?  (Read 11165 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Is it still a springer ?
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:44:28 am »

I have decided to build another springer , and i know there aer strict rules on the size of the hull 18X8 , but what about altering the shape .
this one has been cut from the springer template and had the bottom line extended to alow for the curvature of the bow , and as it's a trial build i have not made it to the exact measurements but the principle is the same .
Now the question is , if the hull was exactly 18" long and 8" wide , and the side profile the same as a regular springer, would it be a springer.
Over to the springer pro's
daz

I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
Re: Is it still a springer ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:06:47 am »

Hey Daz, it's not a springer........ It's a clog!!!! ;D ;D :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

hollowhornbear

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:36 am »

surely it's a pointer!! {-) %%

andygh

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:12:26 am »

Who cares if it's a Springer, it's a great idea

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

I am not sure it would be classed as a springer, but I like it :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:16 pm »

may also be the key to stopping the diving so known of the type
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 05:07:46 pm »

Do you know something Mark , when i let the lads at the club have a look at it this aft they said build another one and then i would have a pair of clogs.
But i like the idea of calling it a pointer, maybe we could have a pointer section if it catches on.
daz

steamboatmodel

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:39:03 pm »

If I cross a springer, a Moto float and a clog/pointer what do I get??
Regards,
Gerald.

sentry

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:49:24 pm »

Don't know  about the springer Daz but therm's real neat slipper's  you have ha ha Sentry

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 03:03:05 am »

Looks rather Dutch to me.  I'd put some leeboards on it. ok2
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 06:52:47 am »

cheers Howard , xmas 2007  :}  :-)) .
daz

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:42:05 am »

1/ If its 18"x8", square box, built to the PNW drawings, the San Francisco drawings.. or the multiple (imperial / Metric) drawings that have appeared on here, fitted a standard motor / prop combination and are running it on 6v / 7.2v... then you have a Springer.

2/ If its 18"x8", square box, built to the PNW drawings, the San Francisco drawings.. or the multiple (imperial / Metric) drawings that have appeared on here, fitted an oversized motor / prop combination and are running it on anything over 7.2v... then you have a Super Springer

3/  If its a multiple or division of the 18"x8", square box, fitted a motor / prop combination to suit and runninga voltage to suit.. then you have either a reduced / enlarged Springer.. or a reduced / enlarged Super Springer

4/ If you have something with a pointy bow that was not built off of the PNW, SF or drawings that have appeared on the Springer thread here or on RC Groups... then you DONT have a Springer, you have something else.

You dont call a Mini a Rolls Royce do you?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 08:56:31 am »

Cheers Toes ,
i think it allready has a name "A POINTER" .
the next step is to publish some drawings and templates once the concept testing has been done ,
on the hull i have made (over sized) i plan to fit a 900 motor and a 70mm brass prop running on 12v .
Now if it dont dive with that lot then a 540-40mm prop set up on 6v should be ok.
daz

hollowhornbear

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17:02 am »

glad you liked the pointer name, interested in how the developement goes, maybe a new mayhemer's class.
keep us posted
good luck

chrise

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 03:10:46 pm »

This looks like a Bronc hull to me. One of the first models I "saw" was this one by Ron Burchett & I still think that it is a nice looker. The model was 16"x7" with 540 power 6:1 gearbox and 39mm 4 blade prop. The model also has a little shear assisted by the coaming shape which I think make it. Not so far off Springer or pointer dimensions.

http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=CF752813E43F429494816D69016F2E9B&nm=Site+Features&type=PubPagi&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle+Title&mid=13B2F0D0AFA04476A2ACC02ED28A405F&tier=4&id=0D021A78E518406085AC8BB89FE298B1

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 05:07:45 pm »

now that you mention it Chris i think your right , i did build one simular but smaller and that was verry twitchy on the twin rudders , it would spin on the spot.
daz

chrise

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 09:32:48 am »

Although I am sure that will be able to make a nice model from this hull design I think that you may have lost one of the vital characteristics that make the Springer so popular.

A Springer is basically two - three if you include the deck - large solid lumps of wood that are relatively easy to make into a hull shape with only the bottom skin offering any difficulty at all. This means that everyone can have a go at building one. These seem to have ranged from the inspirational models of expert builders to the absolute beginner. The fact both choose to build them shows wide appeal.

Your Pointer is much more difficult to build. It is a lot of relatively flimsy parts which a skilled builder can make into a hull shape but which a beginner would find more difficult. I suggest that this reduces the breadth of its appeal.

The only "pointy" hull which I think gets near the Springer simplicity is that typified by the Glynn Guest designs with a big solid lump for the deck, the hull bottom, the stem & the stern. This just leaves the sides to fill in with lighter bendy wood.

I think that there is room for an "for everyone" 18x8 Pointer but I suggest that it might be to the Glynn Guest format rather than yours. Others will do doubt disagree.

What do you think?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 08:20:25 pm »

some very good points there , and all noted  with interest.
The hull as you say looks more difficult than a springer due to the complex joints and angle's , so i will have a look at the structure and see what could be done to make it simple to build even for the the novice of novice's.
Maybe rather than having the hull bottom rise at the bow just make it flat then it could be made from a decent lump of wood for strength (ice breaker %) ).
Fuel for thought.
daz

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 09:11:27 pm »

Well it does look a bit fearsom but I think all it would need a tried, tested, demonstrated and detailed construction photos / instructions.  :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

andyn

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 09:26:06 pm »

The problem with it I can see is that you have lowered the volume of the front of the boat, so it may dive even worse than it did before.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

chrise

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 09:51:29 am »

....... but it shouldn't push the wall of water.

andyn

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 11:05:17 am »

.....So he's made a very fast submarine ;)

chrise

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:03 am »

Ummm. You can overdrive any hull shape to the point of instability. I guess the question is more how does the different bow shape change this point & in what way rather than is it a cure.

What we need is a lot of models, a big tank, some high speed cameras, a large budget and an even larger unchecked expense account.  :-))

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 02:32:30 pm »

Ummm. You can overdrive any hull shape to the point of instability. I guess the question is more how does the different bow shape change this point & in what way rather than is it a cure.

What we need is a lot of models, a big tank, some high speed cameras, a large budget and an even larger unchecked expense account.  :-))
Good thinking!!! Can I bring my Gas Springer ????
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »

And my flash steam springer  :-))
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.