Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sirmar 'V & W' (Wair conversion)  (Read 15657 times)

Solitary Sailor

Re: Sirmar 'V & W' (Wair conversion)
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 12:57:34 am »

One more and  then time to head homeftp://

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 01:13:26 am »

Just a couple more.   %) %) %)

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2009, 01:15:34 am »

I have a great shot of the model on her trailer, ready to head for home, unfortunately, just a little too large for the forum rules   {:-{ 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2009, 01:31:50 am »

Hi...  :-)) she sits in the water & heels prototypically beautiful ..............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2009, 02:27:16 am »

Hi Derek ... Yes she does look nice on the water ... and the heeling is now under control, except it's not a good idea to throw the helm hard over,  :o  :o  :o

Here are a few photos taken this morning to show the boot topping and the open layout of the interior of the hull ... see if you can spot where I put all that lead ??? :-X

The framing, although looking almost none existent, is surprisingly robust with virtually no noticeable flexing.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2009, 05:48:20 pm »

Nice job :-)) :-)) All she needs is a cloud of smoke pouring from the funnels (V&W's were notorious for the smoke they made) and the odd streak of rust to look like the real thing
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2009, 06:35:35 pm »

Hi Jimmy

She does have a smoke generator, however, at the moment it's disconnected. It is a "Harbor Models" smoke generator with its own built in fan, and brother does she put out some smoke  :-)) but it's rated at 12 volts, which given that I have the boat running at 14.4 volts, I'm not sure whether it would burn out the elements or not  :embarrassed:. I need to email Harbor Models and see what they say.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 08:33:15 pm »

Harbour models smoke gen---Is that a US make?--- How big is it & whats the price --- Do they have a wed site
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 01:11:24 am »

Hi Jimmy

Yes it is. Here is a link ...<a href=" http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/main_pages/smoker.htm">Harbor Models[/url]

I emailed them yesterday with my query, they have already replied. I have always found them to be very prompt.

It was a little pricey, as you'll see from the link, but my experience with most smokers is that they do not put out much smoke, at least, not for long, this one on the other hand could almost lay a smoke screen. I have mine with it's own ESC ... a little Viper 15 ... works a treat, but it does eat up the juice, and so I need to provide an independent power source or my boat will conk out before I've done a couple of laps of the lake  :((   It works fine with the original 12 v 7 Ah gell cell. With the Viper, I can of course just run the smoker on a short leash, but I had to make sure that it could take those extra 2.4 volts before I let it loose on the lake; I didn't want to find out the hard way if it wouldn't  >>:-(

So, maybe next weekend, I'll get her out again, and see how she looks with both funnels belching smoke ... even if she wont run for long ... it'll be worth the sight  :-))

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 03:31:14 pm »

Looking very, very good! The camouflage scheme looks even more striking on the water.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 09:13:54 pm »

SS   Thanks for the link, Looking forward to seeing Pic's of the smoke screen
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 12:11:27 am »

Smoke on the Water

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 12:12:32 am »

Some more

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 12:17:28 am »

As predicted, the smoker did a number on the battery life ... no more than 10 minutes run time before the speed dropped off very noticeably. It was a suitably overcast day, (although dead calm waters), so she would have felt almost at home in the northern approaches.   O0

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 12:19:02 am »

Last one....promise

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 01:01:43 am »

Actually took a short movie of her ... about 28 seconds ... 20 seconds of which were of empty water in the middle of the lake ... my son, the cameraman was busy talking  %)

With this camera, it is quite difficult to get an infocus picture while she is moving, as there is a delay between the actual focusing and the point where the camera shutter takes the picture, that and the low resolution required to post pictures here  >:-o, Oh hi Martin ... ho hum  %),  so it is easier to take photographs while she sits static.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2009, 06:55:48 pm »

Very nice too. Realy adds a touch of realism ---- I checked out that site with the smoke generator... Bloody expencive bit of kit for a few min's running --- I' ll stick with my home made jobby--- It costs about £2.50 a year to run--- costs a few pence to build ---- and gives out smoke for over 45 min's --- the down side is ...people complain about the smell ... they seem to think I stay to windward of them on purpose--- As if I would do a dirty tpick like that!!!
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

Solitary Sailor

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 09:57:58 pm »

Yeah Jimmy

I can see that the smoker will get very little use ... so as you say, a very expensive bit of kit, especially when not in use. Oh well, we live and learn ...maybe the next boat I will make steam powered, although I think that will just make it all that much more expensive  %)  What we do for the love of our lives  O0

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2009, 07:49:16 pm »

HERE! HERE :-))
Freebooter
Kings Lynn
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.