Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CAR INSURANCE  (Read 6139 times)

Patternmaker

CAR INSURANCE
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:52:58 pm »

Just received my car insurance renewal, I have my grandson as a named driver on my policy he has a full UK driving licence, passed his test 2 years ago, no claims, no convictions, no points on his licence because he is now in full employment as a trainee CAD draftsman and not full time education they what to increase the premium from £714.00 to £1371.00. with a £500 excess. Car 1999 Rover 216SLI which is only worth about £900. Their excuse we all have to pay for uninsured drivers <*<

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: CAR INSURANCE
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 05:14:24 pm »

Change your insurance company, my son is on my insurance, 3 years experience, two accidents s*d him, £500 excess and Direct Line want just over £700.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Patternmaker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:08:07 pm »

Richard, I have, the best quote was Direct, just under £700 including breakdown cover
Mick

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:16:29 pm »

Have you thought about having him take out his own insurance that way he gets to earn his own NCB.

may even be cheaper in the long run.

R,

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »

I think you have got to have the car registered in your name to take out the insurance (got this impression from topgear this week). I went to go compare and saved over £100 on my insurance this year, I was with CIS, I am still with CIS but booked it online. They told me when I phoned CIS that they could not compete with the online quote although it was the same company.
Alan

Patternmaker

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 06:27:58 pm »

I have already been down that road, the quotes from insurance companies that would insure him ranged from
£2868.00 to, wait for it £8135.00. The problem is the majority spoil it for the minority, if a teenager drives a year
with a full licence without claims and convictions insurance companies should encourage them with lower premiums
that way there would not be as many uninsured drivers on the road! its not rocket science

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 06:39:06 pm »

£2868.00 to, wait for it £8135.00.

That's insane.

What sort of quotes would he get if he were to insure his own (cheap and unpowerful) car?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Patternmaker

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:04 pm »

Yes Andy it is insane, I would call my car cheap and unpowerful (1583cc) but it doesn't seem to make any difference if you are under 25

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 06:56:14 pm »

The other good thing about Direct Line is that any named drivers also earn no claims discount for themselves, for

when they do take out their own insurance. (that's always supposing that they don't have any accidents of course!)

Danny

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 06:57:26 pm »

The problem is that young men consider themselves to be immortal and drive accordingly - until they have an accident!  Insurance companies price accordingly.

Young men have more accidents because they depend upon their reflexes rather than on experience and reflexes are just not enough. They don't realise how easy it is to hit something - until it happens. Unfortunately it is a biological issue more than anything else. After age 25 common sense tends to kick in.

Colin

catengineman

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 06:58:17 pm »

I know it is different for the young female driver (my daughter) she was on my insurance then she took out her own on my car, the car is mine and she had third party cover all she had to have with her was a letter from me saying she had permission to drive it.

she built up her own NCB and now has fully comp.

The quotes you have been given are *daft* he could insure an old crate on full comp' that has a cheap insurance group then drive your car on the TPFT contained in that policy, insurance is a nightmare it takes time to find the cover that fits what you need.

I wish you all the luck in getting what you need

R,

have you considered having a limited milage policy for him and NO DOMESTIC PLEASURE so the car is used for to and fro work only.

Patternmaker

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 07:10:43 pm »

Unfortunately my grandson could not afford to pay for his own insurance because of the paltry wage he gets, which is under the minimum wage, so as long as I can help him I will, at least he will benefit when he qualifies.

catengineman

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 07:17:31 pm »

I know how hard it is for the younger driver so could you not pay for the insurance (you would have done if he was on your policy)
then your grandson will get his own NCD which will go to reducing his premiums

R,

andygh

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »

Got the renewal from Direct Line last month, the car is in my wifes name & I am a named driver. Niether of us has claimed in the last 5 years and we both have full NCD. Direct Line had increased the premium to £420 so we went to a comparison website and got the same insured through Swiftcover, it cost £370 including legal cover, a guaranteed replacement car, breakdown recovery, personal accident cover and a reduced excess none of which was included with DL.

Direct Line are well known for selling cheap insurance and then ramping up the premiums after a year or two, they tried it with us before and when we asked why they told us it was due to our change in postcode...... we hadn't moved.... but they didn't want to know so we changed insurers again

Patternmaker

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 08:55:21 pm »

I know how hard it is for the younger driver so could you not pay for the insurance (you would have done if he was on your policy)
then your grandson will get his own NCD which will go to reducing his premiums

R,

I pay for the insurance now and the road tax I certainly cannot afford £2868 to insure it for him, as I said before insurance companies should be more understanding with young drivers that do not consider themselves immortal
and are considerate and responsible drivers.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 08:57:47 pm »

Quite true, but how are the insurers to distinguish between the careful and the reckless - until they have an accident of course. Some of the way out quotes are simply a way of saying that they don't want your buisiness.

Colin

Patternmaker

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 09:07:20 pm »

That was my point Colin, statistics show that most young drivers are involved in accidents within 3 months of passing their test, If they have stayed accident free for 2 years that should count for a reduction in premiums, if after this period they are involved in speed related or careless driving accidents then they should be hit with high premiums.

Mick

andygh

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 09:11:07 pm »

True, I have an unused car sitting on my drive, I told my lad if he insured it he could use it for getting backwards and forwards to university, he simply can't afford to and sadly niether can I right now thanks to the UK economy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 09:22:09 pm »

This one could run and run, Your best bet is to try some of the comparison sites and see what they quote.

You can quite often get a cheaper quote from a company on a comparison site than you would get going to the same company direct.

My wife did this for her top of the range Corsa and got Fully comp, me as other driver, curtesy car and everything else thrown in plus £100 excess for £13 per month from Saga.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Patternmaker

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:00 pm »

Nice one Richard, I had Saga for years, my premium for the Rover was £121 per year F/N/B protected and all the other benefits including breakdown recovery, but they will only insure drivers over 50 so I had to change.

Its also cheaper to buy on line with all insurance companies, what I do is when my insurance is nearing renewal
I apply on line for quotes rather than wait for the renewal in the post, you can save a lot of money this way, this applies to all insurance, house, contents, pet etc.

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:54 pm »

My lad is 17 & passed his test 2 weeks ago - he has a 1.4 Polo 16v, registered to him & valued at £1500. The car has just been insured fully comp. in his name & by far the best quote was from Direct Line at just over £1700  :o

Seems a huge amount of money & it's no wonder people choose to drive about without insurance.... should be much stiffer penalties for those caught doing so..... <*< <*< <*<

Incidentally - TPF&T cover was, bizarrely, more expensive with the same insurer.

Wife's a driving instructor & thoroughly recommends pupils doing "Pass Plus" - many insurance companies will offer a discount to those who've taken the extra training  :-))
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

andygh

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 10:04:20 pm »

it's no wonder people choose to drive about without insurance

Anyone who does this and causes an accident with me will be severely dealt with  <*<

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 10:16:17 pm »

Seems to me all insurance companies try it on.

Had my buildings & contents cover with NAT WEST for a number of years. On renewal this year the premium had gone from £310-00p to £576-00p.

It said phone the help line so I did, their explanation, the quotes are computer generated. `Oh yeah blame the computer`.

I explained nicely what they could do with their quote `put it where the sun don't shine` and low and behold the corrected quote was £321-00p.

Makes me wonder how many people just accept the renewal quote, it would not take many for it to be a nice little earner.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 10:29:14 pm »

It's what's known as the "Boil a Frog" principle...  :o

I've heard senior members of the insurance industry openly referring to it as such & admitting that companies will gain customers by offering low introductory premiums & then increasing them year on year.

The "Boil a Frog" analogy comes from the fact that if you put a Frog into boiling water it's reaction would be to leap out, however, if you put it into a pan of cold water it'd quiet happily sit there while the water heated up & eventually boil.

Nice to know the insurance companies treat their customers with such contempt..... :((

Bottom line is always question the renewal premium & be prepared to shop around.  :-))
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38:55 pm »

Nissan Serena Miinivan

Direct Line
£475 Fully comp with 3yrs + 3 points
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.