Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAR INSURANCE  (Read 6140 times)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: CAR INSURANCE
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 11:46:42 pm »

What nobody has pointed out - or did I miss it? - it's not just the value of the car the person drives but the potential damage that can be done with it.

My wfe is an insurance broker and has had occassions where someone they insure has been in to report an accident, a minor bump, then returned a few days later limping and wearing a neck brace - this is the sort of behaviour that also ramps up insurance, there are thousands out there making fraudulent or inflated cliams for damages, injuries and compensation.

It doesn't just happen with motors, household claims and holiday losses are ripe for 'screwing' a few quid back - the rest of us pay for that too.

Unfortunately, insurance is a necessary evil, how would you pay for the loss of someone else's loved one?

Patternmaker

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 08:33:39 am »

Yes you do have a point, which brings me back to my original issue, insurance companies should be more selective before quoting.

I have been driving since 1952. I have driven Diamond T tank transporters to Fiat 500s  never made a claim or been involved in an accident. Driving skills only come with experience; I have estimated I have spent over £14000 in car insurance over 57 years.

Yes  lots  of things have changed on the roads  since I took my driving test 57 years ago, I taught my Grandson to drive and would only let him take his test when I thought he was ready, he passed first time.
Your point regarding bogus claims is valid but it does not help with all the No Win No Fee companies bombarding us with advertising, all I require from an insurance company is a fair assessment of their risk when quoting for an individual.

Roger in France

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 02:41:10 pm »

"....fair assessment of risk...." That is not how it works.

They first of all decide what percentage profit they expect to make; then they add their costs to administer; then they allow for the claims they cannot bother to challenge; then they add in all the bad risks they know they will accept because they cannot sift them out; then they add in the costs of all the cosy little agreements they enter in to with other insurance companies; then they add in all the inflated repair costs that garages will rack up; then and only then will they consider the potential risk you present; after which they add on a % in case they have missed something or made any errors.

"Fairness" is a word that does not exist in the insurance vocabulary"

Cynical, moi?

Roger in France

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 12:02:33 am »

To us Australians, the British system of car insurance is strange indeed. My daughter went to England in 1996, as a nanny, and her employers had to pay extra insurance so that she could drive their car and, if memory serves, it was around an extra 300 pounds.

Here, we insure our car, and any licenced driver can drive it, with the owner's permission, at no extra cost. Premiums are calculated based on where the car is regularly garaged, and such factors as traffic density and crime statistics, such as car theft and vehicle vandalism, are used in those calculations. Regular alternate drivers are named in the policy but, as I said, any licenced driver can drive the vehicle, unless, of course, they happen to have stolen it, and that's a whole different ball game  <*< :police:

Peter.

Patternmaker

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 07:32:25 am »

Peter I would be very interested to know how your insurance compares with what we pay in the UK

Mick

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »

Nissan Serena Miinivan

Direct Line
£475 Fully comp with 3yrs + 3 points

we can all quote numbers, but it does not give anyone  anything tangible to compare...... {:-{
 bear in mind the premiums will also take into account the occupation/ use of the vehicle, estimated annual mileage, location of where the vehicle is likely to be kept, the likelihood of the vehicle to be targeted by car theives, the types of secuirty that is fitted to the vehicle as standard ( immobiliser alarm etc) and also the make, model, and cost of parts for that vehicle....

you need to compare 'apples with apples' to get a fair comparison
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »

My 20 year old son just bought his first car, a 2000 X-reg Renault Clio 1.4Si. We did all the usual searching around and got some of those ridiculous £8K quotes. Most were in the £1800-£2K region.

Eventually we found a policy from a company called Bell Insurance. He is the main driver on the policy and when we added me as a named driver, the premium dropped by 20%. (Presumably because part of the car's use is by a more experienced driver.) Adding my daughter as well - 23 but still a learner - added nothing to the cost.

For a special 10-month 'accelerator' policy (all named drivers get a year's no claims discount after 10 months), fully comp including business use (he's a s/e computer engineer and I'm a s/e music teacher) it cost £1050. Includes courtesy car, legal expenses and personal injury cover too, so we were quite pleased with that. Paying monthly would have incurred a 20% APR, so the 'bank of Dad' has provided a low-cost loan!

The deals are out there..... :-)

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Patternmaker

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 04:31:27 pm »

Nissan Serena Miinivan

Direct Line
£475 Fully comp with 3yrs + 3 points

we can all quote numbers, but it does not give anyone  anything tangible to compare...... {:-{
 bear in mind the premiums will also take into account the occupation/ use of the vehicle, estimated annual mileage, location of where the vehicle is likely to be kept, the likelihood of the vehicle to be targeted by car theives, the types of secuirty that is fitted to the vehicle as standard ( immobiliser alarm etc) and also the make, model, and cost of parts for that vehicle....

you need to compare 'apples with apples' to get a fair comparison

My application for quotes ticks all the right boxes, occupation Retired, annual mileage below 2000, kept in a locked garage alarmed with CCTV overnight, car fitted with Thatcham alarm and tracker plus standard immobilizer.
My grandson 2 years no claims, myself 57 years no claims, does this give the insurance companies anything tangible to compare no! That's been my point and why I say that each application for insurance should be taken on its merit not statistics. Reward careful drivers, punish bad drivers.
Its obvious that when you receive these insane quotes the insurances companies do not want to insure you, it wont be long before my grandsons driving experience is not the problem but my age will be, but unlike younger drivers we do have a medical to ensure we are still fit to drive.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 11:46:04 pm »

Peter I would be very interested to know how your insurance compares with what we pay in the UK

Mick, my 2003 Mitsubishi diesel Pajero (Shogun in the UK I think, photo below), is insured for just over A$27000, and the annual premium is A$409. This includes a maximum no claim bonus, one windscreen replacement per year without affecting the no claim bonus, and a hire car for 14 days if my vehicle is stolen, or off the road as a result of an accident.

Bear in mind that I live in a small town, with low traffic density, which helps to keep the premiums down. If I lived in a large city, the premiums would be higher.

Peter

catengineman

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 11:52:50 pm »

This is going to get me hung but

Nice drag there Peter.  (caravan)

R,

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 12:02:11 am »

OFF TOPIC catengineman  O0 {-)

How about a new thread..... "Caravans"??

Peter.

catengineman

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 12:19:14 am »

I protest at that  O0 you have to have insurance on them  :D

R,

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 02:22:57 am »

I protest at that  O0 you have to have insurance on them  :D

You do indeed  O0

There is a already topic on caravanning here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8445.0

Peter.

Patternmaker

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 08:22:28 am »

Thanks for the info Peter, very interesting so thats about £200 for £13250 vehicle, even in rural england I don't think you would get insurance anywhere near that.
Nice outfit you have.

Mick

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 10:42:57 am »

You can always find cheaper deals - the cheapest ones are either online or telephone only. The problem often comes when one tries to claim.

That's when you find out they didn't ask you (or you didn't answer) a question correctly or honestly - no cover.
You 'modified' the car and didn't inform them - no cover.
You 'forgot' those 3 points you got - no cover.

That's one of the reasons I would never (even if I wasn't married to a broker) do insurance without being able to face somebody.

It's a minefield - and you're the one playing hopscotch!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.