Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby boats  (Read 5389 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Whitby boats
« on: July 02, 2009, 08:33:35 am »

Just a few collected shots of boats around Whitby over the last couple of days.  Great to see a couple of traditional construction fishing boats still in service although not quite as many as there used to be.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Whitby boats
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:39 am »

and a couple more
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:14:37 am »

nice one bunk.... great pictures, and these will help with my next project....got any more of the coble style of boat ?
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:18:28 am »

There are some lovely boats out at Whitby BB we were out there last month (may) and took some photos og the same cobble in the first shot's , they were checking the salmon nets on the north side . I found it amusing that there was a seal following them on the off chance of a free meal.
If you want to have a hands on look at the construction of an old boat (wooden three keels) not sure what type it is , but its laid up at the waterways museum at Goole, you can also have a close look at the last of the tom puddings and the jebus which are on the canal side been restored.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:28:58 pm »

Hi,

I thought you might appreciate these pics- taken in november last year.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »

nice one bunk.... great pictures, and these will help with my next project....got any more of the coble style of boat ?

Sorry Guy I didn't take any more.  I'll bear it in mind if I go back though!!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 07:30:19 pm »

Over the years and lots of reading, I'm afraid that the differences between cobles from Berwick to Whitby (and probably a few miles either side of both) must be extremely subtle. We have traditional cobles running out of our ears up here, and no 2 are the same.
I think that "form followed function" here, and the builders just used accumulated knowledge to build the things. They must have been "cheap" in the early days, otherwise a fisherman wouldn't have been able to afford one. If you take a close look at an old one you'll see that most of the construction is of pretty broad planks. Just the sort of thing that a skilled but uneducated builder / carpenter / shipwright would come up with. Hence no two the same. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1000

We've just started to catalog all of the cobles , double enders , mules , etc that are still working on Trawlerphotos.

In the under 10m English gallery there should be a few hundred photos of Cobles if you search by port name or if you know the boat name you should find them.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:21:21 pm »

Hi ya there, as far as I am aware, and having been taught - a true Northumberland/Seahouses Coble is defined by having  7  planks per side, plus a top straight plank per side - so 8 planks in total per side.  The reason for the 3 keels is for them to be beached and pulled up on the shingle and maintain them fairly stable on the land.   In later years, some cobles were built with a tunnel to incorporate the propeller at the stern and this was to protect the propeller.

In actual fact a 7 planked coble is an extremely difficult boat to build; because you dont build on frames - have a look at the link.

I have spent many an hour on these boats, repairing them with my dear old dad.

http://www.peterloud.co.uk/photos/Seahouses/Seahouses9c.html

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:11:07 pm »

You are so right bluebird, I too have spent many an hour talking to Hector Handyside, one of the
best coble builders I have known. All built by eye & to see him lining , lettering & painting the
numbers freehand was a joy to behold. No maul stick for him, a true craftsman & intelligent too.
I also recognise the boat shed having spent a lot of time talking to Dawsons. Used to practise with the band behind the shed prior to performing at Lifeboat day.
                                 yours Nemesis

Greggy1964

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:40:17 pm »

Hello Folks,

I live in Bridlington about 35 miles south down the coast from Whitby, in our harbour here can be found traditional wooden coble's and trawlers. We have one traditional sailing coble named Three Brothers that was restored by a local group of people known as Bridlington Sailing Coble Preservation Society (http://www.bscps.com/homepage.htm) to keep traditional sail alive.

The Coble's come in different shapes and designs as they were built by eye by master builders.

North Landing is a cove in the chalk cliffs just above Flamborough and here coble's can be seen at close quarters as they are hauled up on a steep concrete slope at the head of the beach out of reach of storms. They are launched in the traditional manner across the beach on wooden rollers though they are pushed or towed by an old bulldozer with large old rubber tyres on the nose these days.

If you google Bridlington Coble's, North Landing Coble's and Three Brothers Sailing Coble and search images and you will see some great photos of these craft.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.