Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug Boat Hull Paint & sealing Help Please  (Read 7183 times)

getemuphigh

Tug Boat Hull Paint & sealing Help Please
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:00:50 pm »

Hi,
I have an old 44" tug that I am going to strip and repaint.

It has got a leak in the wooden hull somewhere near the front so before repainting what is the best way to seal inside and out?

What sort of paint can I use on the outside, I think I will just paint it basic "TUG" black and put better / higher sides on it etc (anyone got any tyres going cheap for the sides?  :})

Also the propeller guard at the bottom is weak, again whats a good way to repair?

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Pictures of it now, ignore the motor fitted, that was not me, I've bought an MMB 900 from Marks Model Boats that I will fit after the refurb.....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Tug Boat Hull Paint & sealing Help Please
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:03:42 pm »

The best way is to find the leak on the outside of the hull first and repair that,
One way to do this is to strip out all the gear from inside her and fill the hull with water.
You should soon see where it is leaking from as it drips on the outside.
When you have found it repair externally.
You will have to let the hull dry completely though, worse if the inside isnt treated.
If it isnt treated dont leave the water inside the hull for long.

The Skeg at the lower rudder end will need to be remade from stronger material.

The hull paint can be any suitable covering, even household paint is prepared, primed, undercoated and topcoated.

Bob

Officially a GOG.

getemuphigh

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:56:34 pm »

The best way is to find the leak on the outside of the hull first and repair that,
One way to do this is to strip out all the gear from inside her and fill the hull with water.
You should soon see where it is leaking from as it drips on the outside.
When you have found it repair externally.
You will have to let the hull dry completely though, worse if the inside isnt treated.
If it isnt treated dont leave the water inside the hull for long.

The Skeg at the lower rudder end will need to be remade from stronger material.

The hull paint can be any suitable covering, even household paint is prepared, primed, undercoated and topcoated.

Bob

Cheers, thanks for the help.

Anyone got any tyres??

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 12:38:27 am »

From your photos it looks like you have good access to the inside. You might want to conside something similar to Cold Cure epoxy and brush it over the inside - it will run a bit as well. Might help seal along the planking where the original sealing may have dried out and allowed water to get in

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:38:30 am »

Looks like you've got a TID tug there. You may want to check out this build thread. It may give you some more ideas.:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13720.0

John

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 08:01:05 am »

Mike,
One problem with trying to cure a leak from the inside is that you can never be sure it has sealed the outside.
If it doesn't the water will still find its way into the planking and keep the wood wet.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:37:18 am »

Redbank do tyres.

http://quantrum.co.uk/redbankmodels/bscale-ship-fittings-tyresfenders-c-61_68_150.html

The photo shows the rudder on my tramp steamer. I used a brass box section to support the bottom of the rudder which was cut over, glued and bolted to the keel.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:13:55 pm »

Hi Bob
I agree - I'd do both - the epoxy would give a bit of strength inside, sand and seal the outside to retain the lines/finish of the hull. Might prevent it continuing along a plank line as well. Recently saw this at the pond here with a new hull - long crack along one of the glue joints. Might see his repair next week.

getemuphigh

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 11:59:10 pm »

Brilliant, thanks for your help!

Brian Roberts

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01:34 pm »

Hi everyone

Got to the stage with my Perseverance build where I need to apply satin varnish to the hull and I saw in a post somewhere that a good one is Ronseal Satin Varnish.

So having parted with £6 at my local B&Q I'm all set to go. Opened the tin and my first thought was "condensed milk!" (members of a certain age will remember having condensed milk butties in the 2nd World War!)

After a good stir it was still like condensed milk so I duly applied a coat and it dried in a few minutes as promised and it looked OK.

Thought I'd have another look at the tin and realised I may have dropped a goolie because it states that it's Ronseal Quick Drying Varnish, Clear, Satin and for Interior Woodwork.

The Interior Woodwork bit worries me so if I'm not on the right track perhaps one of our learned friends out there could put me right.

Many thanks

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 10:44:45 pm »

Yes, Brian, not quite what you should have done!

The best cover coat is Ronseal polyurethane varnish but you have used the water based acrylic version. This is not a total disaster but nowhere near as good as the polyurethane varnish. The "interior" tag isn't too important but you do need to give it plenty of time to dry (at least a week) otherwiise it will absorb water and go milky again. Other than that it should look OK. The longer term problem is that it tends to form a film over the underlying finish and if it is peforated by, for example, hitting something, then it has a propensity to start peeling off. The only thing you can do then is to recoat it.

Colin

Brian Roberts

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:27:38 pm »

Thank's very much Colin for your instant help, I had a gut feeling I was going down the wrong track and I'm grateful to you for putting me right.
Many thanks again.
Brian

welshwizard

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 01:37:43 pm »

Brian

i've got a tin of satin varnish I use on my big boats

if you want it/some, I'll tie it to the back of one of my brushless' boats and send it over!

Gareth
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.