Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type 42 superstructure detail  (Read 3075 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Type 42 superstructure detail
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:07:09 am »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but............

OK on the type 42 (and no doubt other similar RN ships), along the superstructure there appears to be some kind of metal 'tube' or conduit that runs along the side of the superstructure, comes round the front and is shaped to an inverted 'V.'

This seems to be held away from the superstructure by eyelets. These look tiny at 1/96th scale and would be hard to make. So, is there any readily available part that can be used? Could the top section of a stanchion be used( although this is going to waste a lot of stanchions!).

Mark47

Re: Type 42 superstructure detail
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:46:15 am »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but............

This seems to be held away from the superstructure by eyelets. These look tiny at 1/96th scale and would be hard to make. So, is there any readily available part that can be used? Could the top section of a stanchion be used( although this is going to waste a lot of stanchions!).

Not sure what this part is, my plans are not at hand but I use stantions for all my grab rails. With a little trimming and filling you should be able to use all three eyelets from a stantion. So not any waisted stantions.

Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:01:17 am »

Your best bet might be to use the top section of very small split pins.

Alternatively, Amati do copper eyebolts (Part 4703 http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati_eyebolts.html) where the internal diameter is under 1mm.

Colin

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:16:00 am »

Hy Justboatonic
 Go to your local fishing tackle shop and have a look at fishing hooks, they do various sizes for sea and freshwater fishing, have a look at the end eye, there are loads of different sizes that can be used, they can be snipped off quite easily and then  you can disregard the hook itself, just be carefull when you do it as they can shoot off in any direction. I always put the snips to the length I want and cover with a cloth before cutting.  Hope this helps.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 01:55:33 pm »

I supply a fret of many eyebolts at this scale JRH 709 . see my on-line shop on www.johnrhaynes.com

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:24:46 pm »

Many thanks for this info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.