Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BEYOND BELIEF.  (Read 5121 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
BEYOND BELIEF.
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »

Daily Mail 3rd July 2009

Anger erupted last night over two police dogs that died after being left in a car by their handler on one of the hottest days of the year.

Animal lovers reacted with disbelief at the officer's apparent lack of common sense and seeming ignorance of the RSPCA's simple warning that 'a hot car can be a death trap for dogs'.

Animal welfare experts said it may have taken only 20 minutes for the pair of German Shepherds to be cooked alive with the temperature in the car soaring up to 47c (116f)

They had been left outside Nottinghamshire Police headquarters. Their handler, who has not been named but is described by colleagues as 'very experienced', has not been suspended.

But he has been interviewed by an RSPCA inspector and could be prosecuted under the Animal Welfare Act.

Those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal face a maximum of six months in jail and a fine of up to £20,000.

The dogs, which lived at the handler's home, were found dead in his private car at 2.15pm on Tuesday - the hottest day in the area for three years with temperatures of 29.3c (85f). It is not known how long they were left in the car for.

The handler was on duty and had parked in the staff car park at the force's Sherwood Lodge HQ, near Arnold.

He was not at work yesterday, as colleagues laid floral tributes there to the dogs. The handler is believed to be on compassionate leave over the deaths.

The dogs were among 26 operational dogs whose job includes tracking down criminals and providing security at major events.

It takes nine weeks of training and costs more than £7,000 before they can go out on patrol.

The force referred the case to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. But an IPCC spokesman said: 'We have decided it is appropriate for this sad incident to be returned to the police force to carry out its own local investigation.'

An independent vet will carry out post-mortem tests to establish how the dogs died.

Peter Davies, Nottinghamshire's assistant chief constable, said: 'This is a tragic incident and we value the important work our police dogs carry out.'

He added that the force would be working closely with the RSPCA.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: BEYOND BELIEF.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 06:00:56 pm »

My favourite dog breed  :((

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:01:48 pm »

Mine too, I hope he gets more than a slapped wrist. >>:-( >>:-(

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:35:04 pm »

:(( >:-o :police: <*< <:(
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:06:57 pm »

Talk about us and them!!! If it were any of us, our cars would have been broken into, by the law or RSPCA, and we would have been prosecuted, just for leaving a dog in a car on a hot day, let alone two large dogs being left long enough to suffocate. That police officer should not only be prosecuted, but banned from keeping animals for life. Compassionate leave? he didn't show much compassion for his dogs, did he?

Dog loving Danny

garston1

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:32:11 pm »

Sorry, you just DON'T leave animals in a car in this heat, for no matter how short a time. I hope the Copper gets kicked out or at least banned from dog handling for life and put away, but unlikely. It makes you want to cry. I'd have a dog over a human any day. What those dogs must've felt

barryfoote

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 09:39:27 pm »

Guys,
That Officer is in deep trouble.  Don't forget, this could have been covered up very easily, but the Police Force decided to involve the RSPCA, and quite right too. The Officer will almost certainly face prosecution, loss of career and a possible prison sentence for what he has done, but let us leave all that to the Criminal Justice system to deal with. In my opinion, enough said. Let the matter rest here.....no good can come from further debate!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:57:35 pm »

Well said Footski. Justice will take its course.

Colin

Pointy

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 10:19:38 pm »

Don't forget about that greyhound that was handed into a police station as a stray. They left him in a shed and forgot about him- only rememberd when there were complaints about a bad smell....  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

This was about a year ago, he turned out to be an ex-champion racer as well.

garston1

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 10:41:14 pm »

Ahaaa the quite literally P.C. Brigade. The R.S.P.C.A. were called in because the dogs were just alive when found. If they had been dead WE wouldn't probably found out about it. Justice will not prevail and I can guarantee he'll walk. Only being put away for mass murder (a three month sentence, let out after a week for good behaviour).

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 10:52:42 pm »

Sorry Footski but I think you may well be wrong.

As I understand it, it was a civilian worker who made the report and that as somewhat forced the police's hand.

However we have already had a superintendent telling us `lessons will be learnt` where have we heard that before.

The police invited the media to a laying of floral tributes to the poor dogs.

The officer involved as been put on gardening leave, in other words he is being kept out the way on full pay.

My own personal opinion is that the officer involved could and should face several different charges. Firstly under the animal welfare laws.

Next dereliction of duty. Next wanten distruction of council property and so on.

The most awful thing is that he was parked at police headquarters 50 yards yes 50 yards from brand new purpose built dog kennels where the dogs would have been perfectly safe.

Colin H. Nottm dog lover.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

andyn

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 12:50:02 am »

I love German Shepards, and if it were not for getting a dog a month before I was offered, I would at least have one if not two. Even if I do keep getting bitten by them...

However I do not wish such bad fate upon the dog handler, I think it was simply a case of he went into the station to get something, or something like that, but got sidetracked or called somewhere else. No person would leave a dog in the car on purpose, especially not a dog handler.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 10:56:56 am »

I love German Shepards, and if it were not for getting a dog a month before I was offered, I would at least have one if not two. Even if I do keep getting bitten by them...

However I do not wish such bad fate upon the dog handler, I think it was simply a case of he went into the station to get something, or something like that, but got sidetracked or called somewhere else. No person would leave a dog in the car on purpose, especially not a dog handler.
No, you are wrong mate, he was a dog handler and therefore the dogs should have come first, never mind being side tracked. People do leave dogs in cars in the heat all the time or dont you read the papers or listen to the news ?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 08:19:46 pm »

This policeman made an extremely serious error of judgement it seems, but none of us know the full details as yet. It very easy to hang someone based on media reports and we have all seen how information can be 'arranged' to bias a story. I for one would like to know exactly what went on before passing judgement on this man. These officers spend most of their time with these dogs and generally speaking, they love their animals and are normally very close to them emotionally. I have never heard of this happening to Police dogs before as the officers are extremely attentive, so this was a big surprise... and a very sad and upsetting one. I can't begin to imagine how those poor creatures suffered in this situation.

This man has lost two very close companions , apparently by his own hand, the stigma of what he has done will hang on his concience forever as he will now be hated by everyone, plus his career may now be over. This man must be so depressed and guilt ridden at the loss of two beautiful dogs which were in his charge and also part of the family. Nobody wins in a situation like this, it is destructive not only to the animals but to this officer, his family and the image of the force.

I don't defend this man, but hopefully we will get the true facts of this case before reaching for the rope.
 I would not like to walk a mile in this mans shoes.

A schocking loss and a very sad day indeed.

barryfoote

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:47:37 pm »

Sheerline,

Very well said good Sir....and so true....

OMK

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 12:16:24 am »

Absolutely bang-on replies from Sheerline and Andyn.
I do know from past experience, when, just for a giggle, trying to do a runner from HMP Horfield, just how much it hurts when the dogs sink their teeth into your butt. It doesn't make me a dog hater - merely goes to show how good the dog does what it's trained to do. I also know just how much the handlers love their dogs. They become attached to them, just like you and I with our own pets.
It's very likely that this is just one of those horrid examples where a split-second decision had gone belly-up. I'd like to hear the handler's side of the story before wrongly sending him to the gallows.

Wasyl

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 02:09:42 am »

Guys,
That Officer is in deep trouble.  Don't forget, this could have been covered up very easily, but the Police Force decided to involve the RSPCA, and quite right too. The Officer will almost certainly face prosecution, loss of career and a possible prison sentence for what he has done, but let us leave all that to the Criminal Justice system to deal with. In my opinion, enough said. Let the matter rest here.....no good can come from further debate!!
So much deep trouble,my a**e,he,s not been suspended,he,s still getting his wages,I won,t hold my breath,
Wullie

Roger in France

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 07:09:22 am »

Sheerline is so right, don't judge, you don't know the facts. Far too many people confuse what they are told with what they know. Let me suggest a report that may appear in the "Daily Tripe":

POLICE OFFICER PREVENTED FROM RESCUING DOGS

A police dog handler was taken suddenly and violently ill as he left his car and two dogs outside police HQ. As he lay on the ground speechless and unable to ask for his dogs to be removed from the car his struggles caused the paramedics to restrain and tranquilise him. Shortly after the dogs were found to be dead from heat stroke.

I am not defending or judging anyone, merely suggesting none of us know the facts.

If the guy is proved to be negligent then he must be punished. Until such time ..........

Roger in France

barryfoote

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 07:13:32 am »

Guys,
That Officer is in deep trouble.  Don't forget, this could have been covered up very easily, but the Police Force decided to involve the RSPCA, and quite right too. The Officer will almost certainly face prosecution, loss of career and a possible prison sentence for what he has done, but let us leave all that to the Criminal Justice system to deal with. In my opinion, enough said. Let the matter rest here.....no good can come from further debate!!
So much deep trouble,my a**e,he,s not been suspended,he,s still getting his wages,I won,t hold my breath,
Wullie

Well let's just put him against a wall and shoot him now should we. In a civilised society a person is considered innocent until proven guilty and that equally applies to police officers as it does to the rest of Society. An Officer cannot be suspended until he is charged with a criminal offence, which may well happen when the investigation by the RSPCA is completed. At which time, like anyone else, he is quite rightly entitled to full pay......as he just might be found not guilty.   Mind you if people like you are on the jury, he has no chance....convicted before trial!! <*< >>:-( <*< >>:-( <*< >>:-(

Oh and lets forget the 10 commendations for bravery and the 5 people who are alive today because of his bravery......He may have made a mistake.....Off with his head!!! <*< <*< >>:-(

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 04:51:10 pm »

As a gas engineer the next time I as a professional make a mistake and (a) kill some with CO poisoning or (b) forget to seal a pipe turn the gas on and blow someone to kingdom come, am I to expect the same attitude i.e. it was a mistake, poor chap must be feeling awful he as only killed 2 people.

Not a cat in Hells chance.

This man was a PAID professional is first responsibility in that situation was to the dogs, the only excuse I would except was that he had an heart attack and was incapable.

In the words of the police superintendent it was a terrible and tragic `MISTAKE`.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 06:07:25 pm »

It doesn't really matter what walk of life you're in, no one is perfect and at some point one day you WILL make a mistake which is serious, we all will do this as we are humans. The best you can hope for is that A: you discover it and rectify it before any damage is done or, B: that in the event of failure, it does not injure or kill anyone.
Yes Colin, a mistake on your part could be very serious and one with the worst implications but should it ever happen, I am sure it will follow normal proceedure in your case as with any other. Everyone will point the finger and come at you with a length of rope... but.. you will be given a chance to explain and there will be an investigation and possibly a trial and only then, if found negligent or guilty of malpractice, will you be hung out to dry. I am sure thats eaxactly how you or anyone would want and expect it to be, rather than have half the nation baying for your blood on the say so of media reports.
I like everyone have made mistakes in my working career, I worked in radio and tv, aviation and the oil industry and remember well some of the mistakes I made and how I managed to spot them and rectify them before they had a chance to become a risk to anyone. I also remember how incredulous I was that i had even made those errors because I knew what I was doing, I had after all been trained ....

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 07:06:24 pm »

Sheerline,

Very wize words......Now if only we all thought like that.....what a great planet we would have.. :-)) :-))

OMK

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 07:27:05 pm »

Hey, Footski.....

That Sheerline bloke...... he's real smart ain't he?
The next time they haul me before the courts I hope I'm lucky enough to have him sitting on the bench.

barryfoote

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 08:21:37 pm »

Hey, Footski.....

That Sheerline bloke...... he's real smart ain't he?
The next time they haul me before the courts I hope I'm lucky enough to have him sitting on the bench.

.....and one of my brothers sat next to him and the other the dog handler that nicked you!!!! :-)) :-)) :-))

OMK

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 09:38:45 pm »

Well, if your bro' is as mellow as yourself and as level-headed as Sheerline, then the rest of us have a lot to be grateful for.
Remember when Thatcher was running the show? Remember that illegal poll tax she introduced? Me being me, I wouldn't pay on principle, so they bunged me in the chokey for a few weeks. Rather than getting all bitter and twisted about it, I considered it as an experience - an eye-opener, because it's surprising what you can learn on the inside. For my part I have to say I was treated well by the screws and fellow inmates. It's not something I'd wish to experience again, but all in all I came away with the knowledge that the REAL crims' do get their comeuppance (especially those on Rule 43).
If that dog handler IS guilty of any misdemeanours then we can rest assured that he will get a pretty rough time. But until that day, I'd sooner give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

The bloke sitting on the bench when I get sent down turned out to be nothing other than a local well-heeled farmer, very rich and very quick to hang a person at the very first chance.... much like some of the bozos on here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.