Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Trent  (Read 5439 times)

Mark47

Model Slipway Trent
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:48:58 pm »

Hi all,

I know there are loads of these about, but no reviews in any forums.

So My questions are.....

How many people here have/are building one of these boats?
What parts did you have problems with? Fitting, not the correct size/shape?
What mods did you carry out?
What materials did you swap out and why?
What extra functions did you add and how did you do this?

I'm building one at the moment and have come across some areas that needed a little more work that in the instructions. It would be good to get some replies of this to look out for in the future, because everything has a knock on effect.

Many thanks,

Mark

Roger in France

Re: Model Slipway Trent
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 07:29:50 am »

OK, Mark. Start us off by describing your experiences!

Roger in France

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:14:38 am »

This model was reviewed in both of the UK magazines in 1998. If you go to the Model Slipway website you can find out which issues appertain, and I think Jackie will send you a copy if you can't find the issue/s in question.
FLJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:20:22 am »

Trent reviews.

Trent Class Lifeboat (part 1+2)     Marine Modelling     May-June 98     

Trent Class Lifeboat (part 1+2)     Model Boats     Issues 572-3      :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mark47

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:14:04 am »

Trent reviews.

Trent Class Lifeboat (part 1+2)     Marine Modelling     May-June 98     

Trent Class Lifeboat (part 1+2)     Model Boats     Issues 572-3      :-))

Does anyone have these issues, that they could possibly e-mail them too me. I have aproached the mags in question in the past for back issues. If they don't have any they charge you the full mag price for a photocopy of a couple of pages you want.

My issues,

Deck beem supports..after studying the diagram no 2 looking at view B. This shows the rear deck supports up to the hull edge. So After aroditing in place and following the recomending instructions to run a bead of filler (P38) all the way round the under side and fitting the deck as instructed.  I was now ready tio fit the stairs. See diagram No 4 looking at view section B-B you can clearly see the rear deck beam support has to end about 20mm from hull edge (no measurment given in the instructions).

The inner stair construction,

Part no 73 (inner stair and lower deck support), when alined with deck beam support 9,10,11 (and dry fitted to part 26 coving) produced a space of about 3-5mm between the top edge of 73 (lower deck support) and the bottom edge of part 26. This was resolved by packing the back of 73 and filling with P38.

Mark

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:12:01 pm »

This model was reviewed in both of the UK magazines in 1998. If you go to the Model Slipway website you can find out which issues appertain, and I think Jackie will send you a copy if you can't find the issue/s in question.
FLJ
01226 770008

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:53:03 pm »

Hi all,

I know there are loads of these about, but no reviews in any forums.

So My questions are.....

How many people here have/are building one of these boats?
What parts did you have problems with? Fitting, not the correct size/shape?
What mods did you carry out?
What materials did you swap out and why?
What extra functions did you add and how did you do this?

I'm building one at the moment and have come across some areas that needed a little more work that in the instructions. It would be good to get some replies of this to look out for in the future, because everything has a knock on effect.

Many thanks,

Mark

MSW's kits are generally excellent. I'd say always follow the rule measure 3 times, cut once!

On Drumbeat, I found cutting the window 'glass' out of the large scribed clear plastic sheet very difficult. The cut lines in the plastic were not very deep and the stanley knife can easily slip damaging the window. Im not certain if MSW had addressed this in later \ other kits. Some of the exploded views in the instruction can need a little care and time to get the right orientation or understanding of the parts sorted.

I'd say there's very little wrong with MSW kits and always recommend them!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:39:48 am »

I too would say they are excellent kits, i am currently finishing the Vliestroom  and halfway through the Drumbeat, although when i built the Trent a few years ago i remember a lot of filling was done on the superstructure.......

Russ

Mark47

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:35:39 am »

I'm not having a go Model slipway. I'm just at the start of the kit and finding some issues, but they could have a knock on effect with the rest of the build, so just want to know what to look out for. I usually build hull and plan boats so you know if make a mistake and are aware of how to rectify it. If working from a kit then there is no way of knowing of imperfect parts (until it's too late sometimes) so it's hard to adjust the building technique to accommodate.

Mark

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:37 pm »

I visited Model Slipway today in connection with a forthcoming Trader Visit article in Model Boats magazine. I have to say I was really impressed with their operation, their attention to detail and the efforts they make to get things just right. They don't pretend to be 120% perfect though and if you have any constructive criticism of their kits then Lawrie would really like to hear from you as it is often very easy to put minor glitches right using their computer based production methods.

The cutting depth of the router used to mark out the parts can be adjusted and they will send you replacement parts iof you find any that are in error.

Putting a kit together is a very complex process and I think that Model Slipway do a pretty good job but they are the first to admit that improvements can always be made and that customer feedback is vital for this to take place.

Colin

Mark47

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:55 am »

I visited Model Slipway today in connection with a forthcoming Trader Visit article in Model Boats magazine. I have to say I was really impressed with their operation, their attention to detail and the efforts they make to get things just right. They don't pretend to be 120% perfect though and if you have any constructive criticism of their kits then Lawrie would really like to hear from you as it is often very easy to put minor glitches right using their computer based production methods.

The cutting depth of the router used to mark out the parts can be adjusted and they will send you replacement parts iof you find any that are in error.

Putting a kit together is a very complex process and I think that Model Slipway do a pretty good job but they are the first to admit that improvements can always be made and that customer feedback is vital for this to take place.

Colin

I agree completely about customer feed back, but if no one else is posting there builds and problems incurred then It gives no bassis to a fault in the kit. It could mean I've got something wrong in the build (misinterpreted the instructions). I myself would only call it a fault if it happened on a few builds, but people seem reluctant to document there builds/problems encountered with this kit.

Mark

Mark47

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 12:33:30 pm »

Can anyone help me with some photos of the interior cabin please?

I've decided to build this as a separate structure and would like some more detailing. I will use this when on static display. Full superstructure only for sailing.

Many thanks,

Mark

Tachikaze

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 12:22:42 am »

Just received confirmation that mine is on the way ! :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.