Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which yacht kit?  (Read 3484 times)

das boot

Which yacht kit?
« on: July 04, 2009, 07:20:04 am »

Which of these two kits would be the better buy for an absolute novice to r/c yachting? (I did have a Lesro 575 many many years ago, that's the extent of my yachting expierience)

OR

Rich

gyronuts

Re: Which yacht kit?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:30:21 am »

hi,
   I have  just procured a Graupner Micro magic which although smaller than the ones you are looking at, is compact and fits in the back seat of your car. Sails great. .Bill
see http://magicmicro.org/news.php

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:12:37 am »

mmmmmm .... I am sure 'gyronuts' ...intended to suggest that he.... purchased... a Graupner Micro magic ...rather than the term procured   the said item & then went on to talk about the size on the back seat of a car <:( <:( <:( ...when the Oxford Concise confirms that his original term relates to ......'to obtain [women] for.........prostitution'

Not nice for a family boating fraternity WEB site.... %%  :police:.....I rest my case for the defence ...........Derek  O0 {-)

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:21:14 am »

According to posts on other boards,such as RCGroups, the ETNZ needs a LOT of work to make it into a good go-er.
I've just been playing with a second hand TT Victoria, and having sorted the rigging out to pretty much what the instructions say, it makes a really well behaved boat with good predictable handling in a wide range of conditions.  Its 30" long and will sit in the rear footwell fully rigged (OK I have a Scenic, but theres lots of headroom left over) and weighs less than 5 lb.
Lots of good reports about the Graupner Micro Magic as well.
If your pond is liable to weeding, consider something with a fin with internal ballast, rather than a bulb, like the Fairwind.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

das boot

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:32:23 am »

Hmm..I looked at the MM boats, liked them but feel that they are a bit small? The Volvo and the ETNZ are that bit bigger, but I have no knowledge at all of 'tuning' a yacht...as a yacht tuner I'd make a good cook.

Perhaps a bit more research is called for methinks....

Rich

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:43:49 am »

The Graupner True Blue is a nice easy build, sails very well in light to medium winds. The TT Victoria is also a nice boat as again easy build and a good sail out of the box.

The VOR and ENTZ do need a bit! more work to get them to sail well. It really depends on what you want to do.

My True Blue is up for sail at the moment. There are a couple of pics on the ad and also on youtube if you want to get an idea of what one sails like.

HTH
Richard

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:16:18 am »

I also have a Victoria, a good sail out of the box, and my most reliable boat.

Others I have seen recomended for first boats,
Kyosho Seawind
Nirvana (although some don't like it)
MicroMagic
Robbe Comtesse (nicest looking IMHO)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:37:38 am »

I forgot about that one - agreed it is a very good looking boat with great cruising performance thinking back to the one in my club.  Just three things - it is very much intended for a sail arm because of the internal layout, the instructions need reading very carefully, probably a few times, and it works much better with the rudder fitted the right way round.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:33:13 am »

I forgot about that one - agreed it is a very good looking boat with great cruising performance thinking back to the one in my club.  Just three things - it is very much intended for a sail arm because of the internal layout, the instructions need reading very carefully, probably a few times, and it works much better with the rudder fitted the right way round.

I much prefer sail arms myself.
Possibly easier for a learner as the response is faster and so easier to follow, in my opinion.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.