Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Marine Models Tug  (Read 16348 times)

Arminius

Mobile Marine Models Tug
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:36:28 pm »

Hi

Can anyone share its experience with Mobile Marine tug kits.  There are 2 tugs, the Portgarth (http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Portgarth.html) and Ayton Cross, that look quite nice, but I have no idea of the quality of their hulls and fittings, let alone their "template system".  Who knows something more about this topic please ?

Thanks

barryfoote

Re: Mobile Marine Models Tug
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:10:06 pm »

Hello and welcome to the madhouse...You will find lots of help on here and plenty of advise to go with it...

I am just finishing off MMM's Lady T. I bought the hull and template pack. Both are superb. The system works very well indeed. Not all the templates are an exact fit but if you use the template to mark and cut out on card first ( I used cereal packets), then you will have no problems.

I bought some fittings from MMM some time after purchase and found the service and quality to be excellent. They are a great little company to deal with and are always prepared to help, being a phone call away.

I found their system to be first class as it makes building a good model much cheaper and allows you the builder to scratch build many components if you want to or simply buy them from MMM. The choice is yours and I cannot reccommend them highly enough. I will post the thread for my Lady T for you to have a look at and see for yourself.

Check this out..

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7930.0

Best of luck,

Barry

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:22:51 pm »

i have had a portgarth and sold it after 4 years tugtowing and replaced with an afon alaw and a further 2 portgarths they are great hulls for towing you do need to lookout for the odd error in the template pack but as has been told previously make it first in card. i do have an ayton in the shed and all i will say is she is a big boat  O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:20:31 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:54:30 pm »

I have MMM's model of "Eldergarth" and it is a lovely (and big) model, ideal for tug towing.

Simon  :o

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:57:31 pm »

There's a very nice MMM "Eldergarth" for sale on Ebay right now; one which I think is featured somewhere on the Mayhem site...

Simon  ::)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:23:05 am »

When I first saw the tug on Ebay I thought it must be Brian's old model because of the crew member with the fish and chips sign... very sad that he is no longer with us.

Simon  :'(

Arminius

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:06:51 am »

O0  Thank you all for your enthusiastic feedback.  I have been in touch as well with Mobile Marine Models; very friendly indeed but I'd prefer your field-opinions!  Are those templates pre-cut or do you scissor them out of the paper and then draw the template on plywood or plastic sheet for the model?

Anyone tried a full kit with all fittings, Kort nozzles e.g.?  Do they supply good building instructions/plans like e.g. Model Slipway does?

Yours sincerely and gratefully  ;-)

Herman

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:18:26 pm »

Herman,

The best way to use the templates is to put them on thin card and use a sharp pointed instrument to punch tiny holes through the template onto the card. Then you can cut out the card and still have the template intact should you need it again..

Barry

Arminius

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:19:45 pm »

Thanks Barry!  By the way, in the meantime I went through your own post on the Lady T: splendid!!!  I particularly laughed at the picture where ...  a grey cat came in to "enjoy" your work.  I have almost an exact replica of the cat at my place, and it simply adores getting into the hull or hull box of my current model in progress (Model Slipway's Loyal Class tender).

Cheers

Herman

craftysod

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 06:33:56 pm »

Went through your build as well barry,first class job and i learnt a lot,thanks for sharing with us

mark

barryfoote

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:56:36 am »

Thanks guys,

That cat of ours loves to sleep on my workroom chair and me being a big softy leaves him to it while I work stood up!!! :embarrassed:

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 07:47:31 pm »

Are those templates pre-cut or do you scissor them out of the paper and then draw the template on plywood or plastic sheet for the model?

I photocopied mine and then cut out the copies, for Canning they were pretty accurate

cakes

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 04:38:40 pm »

i recently purchased the ayton cross from mobile marine,,, and i have to say she is a big boat,,,,  got the full kit with winches, fittings, motors, korts, lights etc,,,  im still waiting on my funnels which are in the prccess of being moulded, so says brian from mobile marine,,, the plans are quite descriptive but make sure u use cardboard when cutting out the templates, as cutting them out of the normal paper supplied with the kit doesnt give u a true size when u mark it out on the wood,, therefore meaning u have a lot of filling and sanding when u are in the proccess of building the superstructure ,wheelhouse and laying the decks !!!!!!!!   

john   

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 07:06:05 pm »

The other reason for transferring the templates to card is to allow you to check the fit. I believe Bryan actually says this in his notes. Whilst the templates were accurate for the prototype, they may not be for your model.

Barrie

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:45:44 pm »

Like Barry and cakes i also photocopied the template pack for future reference when i built Brakengarth ,in fact still have them in the recesses of the shed .the running gear is first class and after 4 years all i have had to do to that area is grease up the shaft , oh i did have to repair the kort where it fits onto the shaft ,i broke it off a bit in the car  :embarrassed: but this time i tapped a couple of threads in and glued and bolted it together ,wont come apart this time :-)) .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

terence

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 05:18:03 pm »

I have built Brackengarth and Ayton Cross, both came out .I transfer the template onto the wood using carbon paper. Most of Bryans stuff is very good, but dont use the white metal stanchions, they dont look right . I use Billings 28 mm 2 hole flat bar brass ones.
Terry.
Terrys tugs

lasatalayas

• Full Mayhemer
    • Ken and Glen
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 04:57:43 pm »

I photocopied all the original drawings and used the copies to work from.
At the same time I laminated the original thus providing safe copies resistant to muck, paint and glue etc.
I also laminated the large plan sheet and mounted it on a sheet of hardboard.

parky

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 08:03:57 am »

Hi

Can anyone share its experience with Mobile Marine tug kits.  There are 2 tugs, the Portgarth (http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/acatalog/Portgarth.html) and Ayton Cross, that look quite nice, but I have no idea of the quality of their hulls and fittings, let alone their "template system".  Who knows something more about this topic please ?

Thanks

:-))mobile marine are brilante very helpfull if you need anything or any advice ask for Ann there hulls are first class i have 3 at the moment of there models regards  parky

Deep Diver

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 02:05:07 pm »

Hi one and all :-))

I have known MMM for a number of years now, they are the most friendly lot of people that you could meet, in fact it is thanks to Bryan that I got into Tugs, in fact some were at home I have the first hull of the Lady "T" still needs to be built, will get to it one day.

May your feet all ways be dry

sentry

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 01:17:06 am »

Hi, Am building my first boat  the CANNING  by M.M.M and other then what's been said about the templates  and a few bits of the white metal needing a bit of clean up have enjoyed and managed even as its my first model boat, As am only 20 miles away i often call in for a chat with Brian and Ann and have always found them both very friendly and helpful even when very busy Brian will always find time to give you advice either in person or over the phone so pick up the phone and order you,l not be disappointed .
                               Regards, Sentry.

PS Ann always makes you a lovely cup of tea
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.