Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TID TUG BOAT REFURB  (Read 6258 times)

getemuphigh

TID TUG BOAT REFURB
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:44:26 pm »

This is my first boat buiild / refurbishment.
As from other posts I got this boat used with radio gear and motor fitted etc but the motor was too small so I have bought a new MMB900 motor for it.
The wooden hull is leaking so I have rubbed / stripped it down as shown in the pictures.
I will get some more pictures on soon and if anyone has advice on how to prepar and seal it then please feel free to let me know, ALL will be greatly appreciated as I will need it!!!!

Before the strip down:

During the outside of hull rub / strip down:

I will post pics showing the holes / leak areas

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TID TUG BOAT REFURB
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:39:46 pm »

Now you've got the hull sanded down, I'd fiberglass the outside. Done right it will be strong and leak proof.
First, buy the  finest grade of glass cloth you can find in the hobby store; buy a small disposable paint roller; then buy fiberglass resin; at your auto supply store buy car body icing. Its a very fine body filler that is just like cake icing. Very easy to apply and sand.

Second; cut the cloth to fit the hull. If it overlaps the edges of the hull a little, thats not bad, it can be trimmed later.

Third; apply the cloth over the hull. It can be held down at the corners by a few drops of cyano.

Fourth; mix a quantity of resin, and starting at one end of the hull, pour it along the keel (I should mention, the hull should be upside down for this operation). Using the roller, roll the resin down over the hull to the beam ends. Do it gently and don't force it as the cloth will pull. Work from side to side and work quickly, but gently. The roller will leave a very smooth surface when done.

Fifth: When the resin has set, sand the hull with about an 80 grit paper, then sand with about 120 grit. Mix the icing as per instructions and apply a thins layer over the whole hull.

When the icing has set, sand again with 120 grit and prime the lot with scratch and fill primer. lightly sand the primer and check for low/high spots. Fill the low spots with small amounts of icing body filler. A final sanding and priming, then paint to taste.

Done this way, the hull won't leak.

John

furball

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:29:28 am »

Not a bad looking tug, but it's not a TID. They've got a hard chine hull.

Lance

andygh

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:45:47 am »

The superstructure isn't TID shaped either. Nice model nonetheless  :-))

sentry

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:17:56 pm »

nor a rounded stern  but still a lovly boat
                Sentry

jaybeedee

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:33:03 pm »

Question on Fibre-glassing of TiD hull, as suggested by oldiron to getemuphigh. THe fine fibre glass cloth you say to use - is it a woven (mesh-like) cloth, or is it a fine fibre glass matting? I have used matting but have been disappointed, since it tends to fray as you apply resin and it is easy to get small air voids, as the resin sets. Once there are small air spaces in the set matting, it is very difficult and time consuming to get them out - as soon as you get rid of one with filler paste, another becomes apparent, as you sand down.
Also oldiron refers to 'body icing'. Is this a Canadian name for a special type of glass paste? Or is it just any type of fine bondo?

Jaybeedee

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:09:54 pm »

Question on Fibre-glassing of TiD hull, as suggested by oldiron to getemuphigh. THe fine fibre glass cloth you say to use - is it a woven (mesh-like) cloth, or is it a fine fibre glass matting? I have used matting but have been disappointed, since it tends to fray as you apply resin and it is easy to get small air voids, as the resin sets. Once there are small air spaces in the set matting, it is very difficult and time consuming to get them out - as soon as you get rid of one with filler paste, another becomes apparent, as you sand down.
Also oldiron refers to 'body icing'. Is this a Canadian name for a special type of glass paste? Or is it just any type of fine bondo?

Jaybeedee

The fiberglass cloth I refer to is just that, a fine woven cloth. Just like silk sheets. The "Icing" is a fine bobdo used as a finish on cars in for body work.

John

jaybeedee

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 06:13:32 pm »

Interested to see your photo of the inside of your tug - which shows a 'smoke producing' kit in place. I am considering installing a similar thing in my TID, but am concerned about the height that the upturned 'bottle reservoir' would be in relation to 'deck height'. Can you let me have the measurement (to the uppermost/bottom of the bottle)? Also what is depth below deck height to the base of the tube?  It looks like the unit might be a Graupner - is it?
Appreciate any details you can give.
Thanks. jaybeedee

getemuphigh

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:52 pm »

Interested to see your photo of the inside of your tug - which shows a 'smoke producing' kit in place. I am considering installing a similar thing in my TID, but am concerned about the height that the upturned 'bottle reservoir' would be in relation to 'deck height'. Can you let me have the measurement (to the uppermost/bottom of the bottle)? Also what is depth below deck height to the base of the tube?  It looks like the unit might be a Graupner - is it?
Appreciate any details you can give.
Thanks. jaybeedee

Hi there,
Sorry for the delay, don't get on here that much.
Yes its a Grapner unit and I have the Tug in bits at the moment so measurements are a bit difficult to get??!! %%

getemuphigh

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 05:14:16 pm »

Hi,

I have the outsdie of the plank hull rubbed down, a lot more than in the pics but do I need to get ALL the existing paint / filler off or can I apply the fibre glass resin to it with some patches left since I don't want to keep sanding and sanding with the risk of thinning the wood too much!!

What I intend to do as recomended by several people is to apply only fibre glass resin only to the outside and then in the inside appy the resin with thin sheets of fibre glass tissue with the resin to help seal and strengthen it.

This will seal the hull and give it some strenght.

tassie48

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 06:15:10 am »

Hi try this for a idea I use the roll of dish washing cloth sold at the cheap shops (chixs cloths over here in OZ) 15 meters i use this on my hulls and inside with resin easy to sand down looks like carbon fiber,built a yacht with this "chucky" light and strong cheap way to cloth up a hull shapes very well overlays well finish off with gelcoat if you wish just adding my bit of experience ooohh yes takes a beating along side the wharf as well tassie48.

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:22:26 pm »

Reference to cloth for glassing, I have used nappy liners in the past, these are a none woven fabric and of a very fine texture, ideal if you have some tight areas to cover, I would say that you will have to shop around, Mothercare stock them but make sure they are free of any additives (oily substances) as this would defeat the object.
These items are very cheap for a large quantity, and can be cut into strips, ideal for internal glassing as well, use your regular resin and hardener.
Howard.  :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.