Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Responses to requests.  (Read 4009 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Responses to requests.
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:24:22 pm »

Since I joined this forum I have had many requests for copies of both plans and photos. I am more than happy to send the requested information. Gets a bit pricey though. But what is really getting me a bit riled is that only about 30% of the people I have sent stuff to are polite enough to even acknowledge receipt, never mind offering to give anything in the way of reimbursement.
I'm sure I'm not alone when I sometimes despair at the crassness and insensitivity of those who are asking, and recieving "stuff" that is actually costing a lot of money. And time. For myself, I will always help out another modeller if he / she is in need of things that I can share. No problem. But I may well be a bit more circumspect and discerning when helping out . We do appear to have a few "Time Wasters" on this forum. But how can one tell? All I would ask for is openness and honesty.Too much to ask? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Responses to requests.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:25:40 pm »

No.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:56:49 pm »

I have sent a few parcels to fellow members on this forum,even abroad.
And their honesty has always been good.
They have either sent me back something as a thank you,or even a thank you message is gratefull  even though i was only helping them out,or
offered some form of payment,which i refused,because he can buy me loads of beer when i see him
Mark

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:19:22 pm »

Ive had  a couple of requests met since i joined this forum, and been very grateful for them. I feel that if people were put off by the thought that the "upper echelons" ( for want of a better word to describe the enlightened members who have been playing boats for long enough to have collected info) were wondering what was being done with this info, they would never grow to be members who would help others.

I have been helped , and have helped a couple of members who wanted info on the "Denny" Steam Gunboat i reviewed.

If I have info that other members want, they are welcome to it. Perhaps if anyone is not willing to pass on info, then they do not answer the post in the first place.

just my thoughts on the subject and not meant to upset anyone.
in my own little world

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:46:44 pm »

I have helped and been helped. I only ask for expenses and am willing to pay same. Mostly I have had a positive response but on one or two occasions the recipients seem to have dropped off the planet never to be heard from again. On the whole I will help where I can as I have yet to have my trust totally wrecked.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »

Your right Bryan
It is a shame I have helped people wih stuff against my better judgement,
they don't do the model and it annoys me more when they then go on and sell the stuff I gave them for nothing  >>:-(

Proteus

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »

I have now given up helping after the last member.....

Proteus

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:56:41 pm »

Sometime last year a request was made for the building instructions for the Artesania Amsterdam kit. As I had built one, and had no further need of them, I replied saying I was willing to let him have mine. I received an email giving me address details, and I duly sent them off to England. I have never heard from the person concerned again, no acknowledgement of any kind. I was not seeking any payment, the postage was quite cheap, but it would have been nice to know that they were received, a simple "thank you" would have been good.

Peter.

OMK

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 12:47:37 am »

I have now given up helping after the last member.....

Proteus: After the last member did what, pray?

PeeWee Fitness: Innit a bitch when that happens?
So NOW do you know what your dad was trying to say when he said: "Don't get stung twice, son."?

over_powered84

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:34 am »

My 1st Request For Help Was Answered Quickly & Straight Down To Earth, It Was Only An Email Address And An Offer Of Item Which Within 2 Messages I Turned Down Simply Because The 1st Route Was Completed But the Chap helped Me Right From The Begining To The Very End

The Helpful Chap I'm Talking About.....BoatMadMan.... Thanks Bud, I'm Trully Greatful

Jnr

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:18:29 am »

I have always been very grateful for the help I have received.

I have received articles from Bryan, which actually helped me see that I could not achieve what I wanted to with my skills. I wanted to modify an Arab Dhow to RC Sail. After seeing the article I could see this is beyond me at the moment. But it is still churning around in my brain.

I have also received articles from the scale sail guys on Louise Helois, a project I am finally starting. Well I have the builders board and have glued the frame profiles to the plywood.

I have also received some electronic bits from PMK to do a little animatronics type project for 1/48 figures. I still owe him some beers next time I am in Blighty. The project is underway, but still not finished. I have been too busy at work and moving house/relocating in the last 12 months. Now the holidays are here it is on my jobs to do list.

I have also received some sail cloth and bits from a scale sail modeller that I met at Ellesmere show in 2008, but in the house move I lost his card and have not had a chance to thank him. I think his name was Tom and he lived in Kirby and had letters after his name (maritime quals). So if you know the chap, tell him the guy from china says thanks.

I also have received plans for a cutter from a nice chap in Oz, and have been able to reciprocate with plans I no longer need.

Jimmy James has sent me a model windlass, and lots of advice and figures.

Many others have responded to my enquiries on here. Too many to mention.

And So
If I have ever forgotten to thank any of you, BIG THANKS.
Mark
aka Tigertiger
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 02:57:55 am »

When i started my Angels Gate, drawings were passed on to me at 'no charge'... The member in question had been given the drawings at 'no charge' at an earlier date and was just passing on the good favour.

I have done the same thing twice since, a member wanted a particular type of light i had.. and recently a boater in GB needed copies of drawings of a full sized boat i have.

Both times i refused payment.. on condition they passed on the favour to others at some later stage.

If we all thought like this, the model boat world would be a much better place...  ok2

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 07:33:11 am »

Interesting topic and only very recently I was overwhelmed by two members offers of help for a couple of projects I was playing with.  One member very generously manufactured a couple of brass componenets and sent them to me at no charge and one member designed, constructed and posted to me also at no charge an electronic device which has worked perfectly on my model.  I would be very dissapointed if they didn't know how grateful I was for thier efforts and I went out of my way to let them both know how much I appreciated thier help.

Consequently when I was asked for some drawings of the dinghy I recently made I was happy to scan them and send them off to a member who wanted to construct something similar.  I attached them to an e-mail and duly sent them off.  I don't know yet if he recieved them though and he has posted on this thread!!  :embarrassed:
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 09:37:16 am »

I have sent a few parcels to fellow members on this forum,even abroad.
And their honesty has always been good.
They have either sent me back something as a thank you,or even a thank you message is gratefull  even though i was only helping them out,or
offered some form of payment,which i refused,because he can buy me loads of beer when i see him
Mark

.......and it is in the fridge waiting for you.. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

What a gent..

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 06:48:56 pm »

Tiger....send a PM to brian-c re Louise Helios. He may be able to save you a lot of angst. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

sentry

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 10:14:38 pm »

Bryan I could,nt agree with you more manners cost nowt and its very rude not to at least say thank you to some one thats helped us, Am only on with my first boat  but have asked a few times for advice from members on her and have been truly grateful for there replies,
                                             Sentry.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 06:13:19 am »

Tiger....send a PM to brian-c re Louise Helios. He may be able to save you a lot of angst. BY.

Thanks  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 09:36:17 am »

I have also done a few bits and pieces for fellow Mayhemers, and have always had a nice thank you from them, I have always refused payment as I think like Toes, if I can help someone, and they at some time can help someone and so on, we all benifit. (I still have a project outstanding--sorry Pete I've been away on tour, back on the case now !)
As Sentry says "manners cost nowt"   :-))
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 10:39:43 am »

I have been grateful for advice and assistance and in turn I'm happy to give it where I can. Yes. there are those who don't respond but they are not representative of the majority so it doesn't put me off participating. Win some, lose some!

In some ways I think things have got better with the use of the Internet and Email because it makes the whole process a lot easier. When I used to write for model Boats 20 years or so ago, readers would write in with queries and the editor would parcel them out to whoever he felt most appropriate. The subsequent "thank you" rate was quite a bit less than you get these days. I think people just regarded us as a public service of some sort. You do occasionally get people coming on the Forums "demanding" information but thankfully they seem to be few and far between.

Colin

marineruk

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 11:14:55 am »

Having only been a member since the start of this year I have had numerous responses to requests for information when building my model and I am very grateful for the help provided and have always responded to those that have assisted me.

I think its only polite to say thank you when someone has assisted you, as Sentry says manners cost nothing. I also think you should reimburse the person if you have received any materials from them, to my way of thinking that is how it should always be. In this day and age I think peoples manners and attitudes are worsening, but that may just be me getting older and the way I was brought up.

The photos I have been sent by furball have been a great help in my project and I would not have been able to build the detail into my model without them. Its the willingness of people to share their information and knowledge on this forum that makes such a great place to be.

Thanks again to Lance and the Lifeboat Walkarounds a great thread.

Glen  :-)) :-)) :-))

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 07:14:02 pm »

An old joiner, years ago, when I was a young lad, told me "never count your favours & they will come back threefold" over the years I have found it to be true, I have never been paid & I have at times
been at the beck & call of a lot of people, even being called out of a Ladies Night( no I am not) to
go back to work so the gentleman could partake of the Meal. Having said all that I can understand
where BY is coming from, I suppose it can be dispiriting at times. Cheer up Bri, greater tragedies
happen at sea,            Cheers Nemesis

Bee

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 07:50:19 pm »

Less financially significant but even the written responses on here take a bit of effort, not to mention those enthralling reminiscences of days at sea by one contributor.

Picking up the manners reference it is a bit dissappointing to see occasionally say someone suggest a type of glue then another member, instead of politely saying " that glue may not be the best for this application", comes in heavy handed with (exagerating for effect) "you halfwitted gibon why don't you shut up and leave it to experts like me".

But at the end of the day its just life - like getting shortchanged at a shop of scratched in the car park.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.