Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawings  (Read 1555 times)

peter.dwight

Drawings
« on: July 10, 2009, 03:22:17 pm »

Greetings friends.
I would like to start this little item by admitting to being at times not the brightest budgie on the perch. However I do enjoy my model making and the freelance concept based on a working prototype does offer many opportunites as well as the usual disclaimer that faults are in fact design features.
The problem I come up against all the time is how big to make things. I am well aware of scale and how to convert scale sizes to inches or millimetres etc. But if, for example you need a winch and you are modelling at 24th scale how big do you make the winch. Can it be that you can make it too small or too big? If you need a deck crane how do you know what size to make it. I know that if you have a scale drawing, overall dimensions are easy enough to obtain. Now unless I am dead on my perch with my feet glued to it, it seems to me that we need some drawings of specific items, Bollards, Winches and all the other bits and pieces that make ships what they are, dimensioned at full size so we can calculate the respective scale sizes.
Now, I am quite prepared for Martin to award me 'Wally of the Month 2009' for the question but it is born from the frustration of building a Springer to the scale of 10mmm =1 foot and trying to work out how big the winches should be and how big the warp storage drums should be etc. Does what I am trying to say make sense? I await with trpidation some replies.  Peter   

andyn

Re: Drawings
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »

At 1/24th scale, all dimensions of the model version will be exactly 1/24th of the original size. So take a dimension of any part of what you are building, and divide that size by 24. Job done :-))

Moderated.

steamboatmodel

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:08:36 pm »

If you search the web for manufacturers of the full size item, you can quite often find the dimensions and can scale from them. if you can find photos of the full size item you can also estimate the dimensions.
Regards,
Gerald.

Big Ada

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:02:44 pm »

If I am making something to a scale of 1/24th ie 1/2" to a foot I work on the rough assumption that a crew figure will be 3" tall ie 6ft in real life and make winches ,cranes ,Helicopters to suit.

Len.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:25:13 pm »

When making scale fittings it is better to make them slightly under scale because by the time you have painted them you are well over. It is suprising how thick a coat of paint is, which is why I use
cellulose, hope it helps
                                   Nemesis

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:04:32 pm »

When working on a freelance model I keep a figure of the scale I am working at to hand.

By offering the object up to the figure I get a good idea if it is in proportion.

Hope this helps

peter.dwight

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:26:09 am »

Thank you all very much for the advice. I now understand better what to do.Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.