Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S.D.M. well nearly  (Read 4095 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
S.D.M. well nearly
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:46:29 pm »

I found myself trolling through the posts on here the other day and came across one for S.D.M's ship docking modules .
And read what it was all about , i was also interested in what Umni had done with the construction using pink foam to create the hull shape and give the vessill total buyoncy .http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551258 .
Now these tugs require a Z drive propulsion , well they require 2 of them and with the smallest costing over £50 . each plus the servo ect ect that will add up . So why not build one with fixed propellers , twin ones on oposing sides and for steering have the fixed skegs steerable .
Now i have no phisical plans to work from (it's all in my head) apaer from what i have seen on other builds so i have done a basic plan here.

This is just a basic drawing without the rudders/skegs as i am not sure whether or not to have 2,4 or 6 rudders , 3 on each end as the props will be controlled seperately.
I will post some pics of the build next.
daz
ps the pointer is still been worked on(waiting for paint to dry)
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

ZZ56

Re: S.D.M. well nearly
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 03:45:36 am »

Why not do four props, each with a rudder?  Might offer a bit more thrust and maneouverability. 

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:37:29 am »

I tried that a few years ago , i never did work out the steering  all it did was go round in circles  :embarrassed: .
Hopefully this way i will have the fore and aft movement and still the abillity to rotate on the spot, the props are all i had in the box as i have not run these motors yet on direct drive , and the rudders are still in me head  {:-{ .
daz

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 06:49:45 pm »

Nice quickie build...  8)

But aren't you just sort of building a short double ended ferry boat?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 05:42:08 pm »

Myabe Umi , but if i dont try them i wont know . i have been fabricating the rudders this aft , they are like barn doors and hopefully have some effect on the props . I did think about placing the props along the keel but felt that they would have more effect on opposing corners .
This is a concept (i like that word) then if it goes t&t's up that's the excuse , concept  :} .
Any way its your fault for making such nice models and giving us pilgrims ideas  :-)) thank you .
daz 

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 05:55:33 pm »

Well, I never set my ferry up with separate rudder controls, so i don't know
if it will crab sideways... I used to run both forward and stern props, but
was chastised that the thrust bearings didn't work like that, and that the
real ships never pulled with the foward prop. %)

It will be interesting to see how the offset propellers and rudders perform.
 :-)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »

oops the water test will take a little longer as the hull is now in the bin (i have saved the deck) ,earlier today i was doing a spot of finishing on the hill and even though i had put two coats of emulsion on the glass resin still managed to find a small gap .
Resulting in a hull that looks ok but has the feel of a very soft tyre  :embarrassed: squishy  :o <:( , not to worry a new hull wil be made .
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:44 pm »

New hull made using the original deck  all sealed and now glassed up ,
first water trials were a bit finiky as the only props i had were plastic fast electric ones 35mm so with the shafts facing in oposit directions the reversing motor was run at higher revs to compensate for the one working efficiently,  %% i think that sounds right  :D .
Once i had the hang of it i found that i could steer left and right in either diection and turn on the spot , so a success i think  :-)) .
i was going to put a video up but i had left the tranny switched on last night and it dont work without one, but i will do.
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:19:42 pm »

After a bit of setting up i now have the hull and running gear ready for the water :-)) :-)) , one of the problems i encountered was that the two esc's were drawing too much current through the distribution board , then i realised i was pulling all the power through one fuse 15A :embarrassed:.
I still have not got the brass props so it is still working on plastic race props, the first video is when the fuse blew :embarrassed:.
Oh and they were all done on my mobile phone held between my knees  O0

daz

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:58:19 am »

It maneuvers quite nicely for it's configuration,...

I have one question,... what happened here... :o

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u176/darran77/ship%20docking%20module/?action=view&current=MOV00047.flv

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 12:35:42 am »

Ah well thats another project of mine , basicly its a ply board for the deck with a hollow polystyreen hull  the motor is angles to a long shaft . it works well in forwards  apart from the dodgy reciever not figured out why yet , but in reverse as the hull is hollow the water is blasted up to the motor   :embarrassed: i supposed it could be a crude version of water cooling :-)) .
I have since put a ply deflector board over the gap , the tug will be based on a tom pudding tug West Riding which opperated on the canals at Goole around 100years ago, this is the tug wheldale which is still opperating not pulling pans but trips around the docks

will put a pic of my attempt up soon.
daz

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 06:24:26 pm »

Back to the project in question , new motors fitted and the wheelhouse has had a bit of work done .
Firstly the electrics neatness has never been one of my strong points as you can see (god help me if FLJ had note made the dizzy board)

The wheelhouse needed a top so a start was made , and as this tug will opperate both ways dual navigation lights are fitted and the internal and external lights will be fitted in due time .

daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.