Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/8 scale hydroplane 'Atlas van Lines' build  (Read 54102 times)

MRZIPPYXXXX

Re: 1/8 scale hydroplane 'Atlas van Lines' build
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2009, 08:03:04 pm »

Hi Ramon,
Yes the rollers are the 4 inch wide white foam type, recently bought a bulk pack from local Poundstretcher Supermarket cheapest I have found to date,
razorsawing them in half makes them much easier to work with, unless you have a really large model.
Like yourself have used .6oz glass cloth with great success, my stock of this ran out, and I ended up finishing the Swordsman with 1oz "Deluxe Materials" cloth
from the local modelshop (Tonys Models & Hobbies in Leicester) this seemed harder work to manhandle, used more resin, but I am guessing a stronger result!
One of my reasons glassclothing - not enamoured with the quality of modern day 1/16 ply from the local model shop used for skinning of hulls etc,
lacks the evenly spaced dark/light laminations of stuff of years gone-by, and I am guessing possibly not marine quality.
I found the skins on Swordsman flexed alarmingly between bulkheads, and hoped the addition of resin and cloth might help stiffen things up, it did to some extent,
but next time I think I will be cloth inside and out.
Tried heating up the resin pot this morning as an experiment, forget it, did exactly the same as yours yuk, I think the techy guy at SP has been in a confined space
with his own product for too long !
Re electrics, if you have a crafty look in the Club Events and News section, here on Martins most excellent website, Wicksteed III the event, page 5 halfway down,
you will see the teeny tiny brushless outrunner powering my Swordsman, at what my IC club mates rate as quick as a modern day 40 glow, all for 20 quid !
My aerobatic pal has today installed a monster 5hp leccy up the sharp end of his latest aerobatic aircraft.  Regards Paul

Ramon

« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2009, 11:00:20 pm »

Thanks Paul I shall get some at the weekend.  (Thinks - Something for the weekend Sir? Er yes please two rollers and a pot of epoxy! %))

I have ordered .6oz cloth from 'Hobbies' today This is a Deluxe Materials product 2 sq Mtrs - £10.50. Seems there is a problem in obtaining SP113 in greater quantities than 250 gms at present so shall look on the net for an alternative as this is a very expensive way of buying it.

Fins and wing are now complete and fitted.  The fins were built up using 1/32 ply skins over a bass wood frame then edged with reasonably hard balsa.

Getting the holes through for the wing pivot posed a problem but some jury rigging ended up solving the problem

I've just realised haven't took any pics of the finished assembly so perhaps a couple more later.

Had another think about those bad 'plucks' in the top skin. Tried a bit of P38 but this goes off so fast only very small amounts can be mixed - yes minimal hardener is being used. Anyway thought I might try 'Poly Filla'. Mixed some up with PVA glue and water and scraped it in. Seems to have worked, though the surface needs a light coat of sealer as soon as the excess has been sanded. I used very thin sanding sealer which should still allow the epoxy to penetrate. The nice thing was the ease of sanding.

Thanks again for the input Paul, now going to check out your Swordsman.

Regards for now - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:49 pm »

Ramon try this epoxy its really good stuff, it takes hrs to set but its very very strong.This is the faster one that i used  :o but its great stuff i got mine form a yacht builders its really top grade stuff .I still have some left after building the rockett and also using it on other builds too so its plenty and then some.I usually clamp things up and leave them overnight then its done.
Mart
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SP-106-Multi-Purpose-Epoxy-Resin-System-Fast_W0QQitemZ220387124281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=item335018a439&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2009, 11:05:49 am »

Ramon try this epoxy its really good stuff, it takes hrs to set but its very very strong.This is the faster one that i used  :o but its great stuff i got mine form a yacht builders its really top grade stuff .I still have some left after building the rockett and also using it on other builds too so its plenty and then some.I usually clamp things up and leave them overnight then its done.
Mart
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SP-106-Multi-Purpose-Epoxy-Resin-System-Fast_W0QQitemZ220387124281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM?hash=item335018a439&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I use this product as well. It's just the job for us. I also note the other products he sells; ie moulding material and filler to thicken up the epoxy. Very good

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Baz2

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2009, 02:17:55 pm »

Hi Ramon

A great build Ramon, I've been following it with great interest.

Who knows I might have a go at this one myself ?

keep up the good work.

Baz

Ramon

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2009, 10:25:36 pm »

Thanks for the info Mart and your confirmation of it too Tug - (Ah! would I be right in thinking you're a 'Wilson' too!)
I have enough of the SP113 to finish the hydro but will look into getting this 206 for the next (??? ;)???) build.

Now Mart have patience here as it's 'back on the engine bit' -

Following on from float chambers I'm afraid I don't have room for a float chamber - definitely don't - (unless I kick the radio out that is which means too much pulling about at this stage. Of course if there isn't enough capacity for a reasonable run that may have to happen at a later date!) I have bought a couple off ebay so now have a good idea what they look like and how they function but there's ''no room at the inn' on this build at present.
that, unlike the float chamber, it will mean the fuel is under pressure 'at the venturi' but it should act as a kind of 'compensator' and keep the head of fuel fairly consistent. I'm thinking that by venting it when filling then closing the vent it will continue to fill as the fuel is drawn off. The slight vacuum in the head of the tank may help keep the head of fuel above the level of the fill pipe and if it works as I think it might then when the engine is throttled back and the pressure reduced then it may act with a semi uniflow action. Another suck it and see event - any opinions?

Forgive the sketch - done in best pre CAD fashion I'm afraid!

Feed in from the tank on the left, fuel pick up in centre, vent on the right. The cup is the sump (to be glued in with JB Weld).

Ready to fit

I have also made a similar but much small chamber to act as a back pressure overflow from the exhaust to fit 'tween exhaust pressure outlet and vent on first tank.

Couple of pics of the wing and fins.
The whole unit is held on with 4mm nylon bolts in aid of 'breakoffability' (bet Windows hasn't got that one!). The wing pivots on them too - just need to work out a method of adjusting the wing incidence that will hold it rigidly but can break apart as well. The struts are made from 2.5 ally welding rod, the ends squashed in a vice and drilled. I don't expect these to survive a tumble but they are man enough to keep the whole thing rigid.

That's all for now, glad you are inspired Baz, break out that ply - it would be really great to hear of another one being built.

Things are looking like it's a few days back on the Huntsman again, but in the meantime let me know what you think on the fuel set up.

Regards - Ramon

Ramon

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2009, 11:11:47 pm »

Just realised that this bit of text is missing - (this post really has had it's share of gremlins)
.........there's ''no room at the inn' on this build at present.
Sooo - I thought about the last replies on the matter and have decided to put in a small (non float) chamber that will (hopefully that is %)) be fed from the feeder tank under pressure. I realise this will mean that,
....... unlike the float chamber, it will mean the fuel is under pressure 'at the venturi' but it should act as a kind of 'compensator' ........

Hope that makes a bit more sense
Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2009, 11:58:42 am »

Hey Ramon what about a v 12 for it  :o lol
Mart
http://www.classichydros.com/merlin.htm

Ramon

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2009, 03:16:02 pm »

Hi Mart,
Thats a shame the boat's 1/8 scale {:-{ Howeverrrr.. could be ok for the next one  ;)

Wonder if it will fit over an engine/pipe without too much problem?

Read your post for the video but still haven't got this fixed yet - 'Thought' (Hell, that hurt!) will put it in for fixin' when I'm on holiday next month.

Regards - Ramon

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2009, 05:46:40 pm »

I know the engine is 1/6 but they fit just fine in the 1/8 scale hulls or seem to do from the ones ive seen.Im thinking of maybe fabbing one up myself from balsa and scrap bits of plywood.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2009, 11:54:24 am »

Any updates Ramon  ok2

cadman17_36

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2009, 04:37:07 am »

Hi all hope all is well I have been readinf this post with great intrest. Hope to see the finishe product soon and maybe even a vid of it on the water?? :embarrassed: I also have these plans and will be doing one my self when I can get someplace to build in. I was lucky enough to see this boat run here in the states when Bill Muncey and Chip Henauer Were the drivers there is nothing like hearing those big V-12's fire up and run for the money. here is a site that mite help a bit (http://www.thunderboats.org) they have a link to the rstoration of the 1982 version of the Atlas when the added conards to the front and extended the cockpit forward over the leading edge I beleave they extended the airtraps also. Good luck and keep posting and building

Nordsee

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2009, 02:06:46 pm »

Hello, oh how that takes me back! In the middle 80s I built a model of the Atlas Van Lines Hydroplane. Not as big as yours , it was from a Radio Modeller Plan and sported a 540 motor and 8 cells. It went quite well, got onto the step and planed. Turning was not very good at all, needed to slow down and just turn on the rudder, I wonder how it would have performed today equipped with a Brushless and Lipos! Sold it to a Model Shop for a window display and they sold it on 2 days later! Wonder if it is still around? James

vasek

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2011, 10:47:53 pm »

Hello gentlemen, I'll be watching this build with interest... my first post here. I am starting a 1/8 Miss Renault '83 from Newton plans and will have a framing kit. I am a newbee to boats.

Although I am going electric for power, the hull construction is similar, thus my interest in this build.

I will start with 2 questions:

1- Where can I get some 1/16" marine ply for sheeting ? UK source that ships to EU would be perfect for me.

2- How can I upload an avatar? I did check my profile, but couldn't locate the link.

Thank you for helping,
Vasek

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2011, 10:53:28 pm »

Vasek, 1.5mm birch ply should be available in model aircraft shops in your country.  Czech Republic ...or ?
..well can you land on this?

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2011, 11:02:30 pm »

Heres one im building for a customer from my moulds ,yes shes glass but still a bit of wood in there  ;),deck went on today and the cowl will be fitted tomorrow.She will be powered by a modded zenoah motor (zen 7 ).
Mart
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.