Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rau IX (Whaler)  (Read 10263 times)

The long Build

Rau IX (Whaler)
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:42:46 pm »

Hi All
I have recently acquired the Rau IX Whaler Model, In General it is in pretty good order although some minor repair work and restoration is required.

I understand her to be a German Whaler built 1939 and based  in Bremen ?.  and is currently on display at a German Museum. Other than that I have not found much out about the actual ship or the model Ie is it a kit ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your help in advance.

Larry

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rau IX (Whaler)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:53:17 pm »

If memory serves me right (at my age thats a feat in itself) there was some pictures in model boats or Model Maker (ooooh) and I think I still have them, I will have a search through for you.  :-))
Steamed up all the time

exvtop

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:53:35 pm »

It's probably built from a Graupner kit.
I have an unmade one in the loft bought 20+ years ago.
Read somewhere that the kit was discontinued due to whaling getting a bad press.

Mike

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:02:12 pm »

Thanks Phil , any info would be helpful.

Hi Mike , funny enought been searcing the www and Graupner has cropped up a couple of times but no real info, but as you say with the connection to whaling probably explains why.

Larry

Ron1

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:04:42 am »

Here,s a picture.

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »

Interesting , the picture shows the bridge area with a wooden surround, the model appears to have had a steel structure built up here , so assume that changes were made to the real ship at some stage and then the museum restored it back to another period ?

swordfish fairey

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »

Hi Larry, I have a Rau IX and yes it is,or should I say,was a Graupner kit. I still have the original plans and construction notes if you are ever in need of a copy. There is one thing you need to be very carefull with, and that is the hull as they seem to get quite brittle with age, a friend had one the same age as mine and one day as he was lifting it out of the water it split..Graupner removed it from the market because of the whaling lobby, I still get tree huggers giving me hard times about it. All the best with it, it does sail very well, albeit a little wet with the low freeboard at the waist.... :-)).......Smudge

swordfish fairey

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 07:50:40 pm »

P.S. The second picture is of one I saw at a model show in Germany, and mine is in the process of being converted to look similar.....Smudge

The long Build

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:05 pm »

Thanks for that smudge , Looks good in the water.

Thats now 3 different set ups !!

I'm testing the Electrics tonight I hope and giving the motor a run as it has not been out for about 3 yrs I believe..

:-)) Larry

Some pictures of the one I have.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:00:36 pm »

It may just be me but I think its pretty disgusting having a model of this type of boat considering what its used for. Myself I think it should be smashed to bits and is something to be reviled.

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:50 pm »

It may just be me but I think its pretty disgusting having a model of this type of boat considering what its used for. Myself I think it should be smashed to bits and is something to be reviled.

"What its used for" no What it was used for when it was built in 1939

And the difference between this and all warships which are used to possibly sink  other ships with hundreds of people onboard , or shoot down planes Is ??

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:21:20 pm »

As the Long Build says, you could apply this argument to any warship model of any period.

There is a classc quote "The past is a another country, they do things differently there."

History may sometimes be uncomfortable but it is a fact.

Many people enjoy building model trawlers but there is evidence to suggest that they destroy the seabed. Should we apply the same attitude there?

Difficult one!

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 11:17:21 pm »

We at Tynemouth have at least one of these models. Personally I've never heard a word of complaint. You cannot change history no matter how PC you are. I have a model of "Discovery" as used by Scott for his ill-fated expedition to the South Pole. "Discovery" is now almost revered and protected. But how many of you know her real history?  She was used as a "sealer", built on the lines of a "whaler" and was also used as a "gun-runner". For heavens sake, it's not the ships fault what she was used for! As Colin B said (or implied) you just cannot apply 21st century thinking to what seemed normal 100 years ago.
Should no-one ever build a "slaver" just because its purpose offends some sensibilities? Should "war-gamers" never ever show a model of Hitler just because he was not a very nice person? I don't know who the "person" was who posted the idea of "smashing" up any model of the Rau, but he /she really ought to take a long look at how prejudices can come back and bite. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

DieselDo

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 11:18:07 pm »

Oh dear,
No Warships as they hurt people, No trawlers as they hurt the seabed, No cargo ships/Tankers as they sink and damage the environment.
Oh well to be perfectly PC we can all build Lifeboats. Pilot Cutters, Tugs and yachts. But definitely no Tug Towing as they tow nasty cargo ships!!!!

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 11:22:56 pm »

Oh dear,
No Warships as they hurt people, No trawlers as they hurt the seabed, No cargo ships/Tankers as they sink and damage the environment.
Oh well to be perfectly PC we can all build Lifeboats. Pilot Cutters, Tugs and yachts. But definitely no Tug Towing as they tow nasty cargo ships!!!!

but a lifeboat may be called to save the crew from a sinking whaler   %%  so by association..

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 11:51:34 pm »

Oh dear,

but a lifeboat may be called to save the crew from a sinking whaler   %%  so by association..
Nope. There would be nothing to save. So scrap the lifeboats.!

chingdevil

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 06:07:33 pm »

MODERATION

Can we bring this thread back on track, the rights and wrongs of whalers and whaling do not need debating on a model boat forum

Thanks

Brian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 06:53:10 pm »

MODERATION

Can we bring this thread back on track, the rights and wrongs of whalers and whaling do not need debating on a model boat forum

Thanks

Brian

A very silly moderation. This forum has discussed many subjects (more recently, politics) and has produced lively debates.
Whaling (as with slavery) did go on, and to stifle debate is both wrong and pre-judging, if not purely pandering to the PC conformism that is rife these days. Personally I am against whaling.....but I wasn't during the 50s and 60s when it was considered to be "normal".
A "Moderator" should not be allowed to let personal feelings about any subject to colour his / her attitude towards free speech. I DO agree with the point that the "discussion" shouldn't degenerate into various political rants. However, there are many aspects of "whaling" in days of yore that are of some historical importance. Not least the ships that were involved.
Would other "forums" ban discussion of the novels of Dickens because he described the practise of sending children up chimneys? I think not.
The events that happened, happened. It's absolutely pointless to go around tearing your hair out because of something your great-grandad may or may not have done or been part of.
I also recognize that some countries engage in practices (whaling) that offend many others, this is not the forum for that argument. If you want to build a model of a whale catcher or factory ship then please go ahead. These thing actually existed! BY.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 12:43:03 am »

Bryan, I don't believe it was a "silly" moderation at all, as the post was becoming very "off topic", and Brian (Chingdevil) as a moderator, was pointing this out. If anyone wishes to debate the rights and wrongs of whaling, then they can do so on the Chit Chat board where it can be discussed in a rational manner. I am quite aware that whaling can become an emotional issue, particularly in the area where I live. Back in the 1950s and 60s, a whaling station was in operation only 25 km from my present home, and I visited it an several occasions to watch the operation. Now, a major selling point of this area, as regards tourism, is whale watching. Times, and attitudes change, I know that, like you, my attitude towards whaling has changed. I also agree that there is nothing wrong with modelling a whale chaser, they did exist, and in my opinion are a legitimate, and interesting, subject

I do believe it was unnecessary for you to suggest that Brian was letting his personal feelings influence his decision to moderate the post. Do you know Brian's personal feelings on this, or any other matter? I certainly don't.

Peter.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 05:49:54 pm »

Bryan, I don't believe it was a "silly" moderation at all, as the post was becoming very "off topic", and Brian (Chingdevil) as a moderator, was pointing this out. If anyone wishes to debate the rights and wrongs of whaling, then they can do so on the Chit Chat board where it can be discussed in a rational manner. I am quite aware that whaling can become an emotional issue, particularly in the area where I live. Back in the 1950s and 60s, a whaling station was in operation only 25 km from my present home, and I visited it an several occasions to watch the operation. Now, a major selling point of this area, as regards tourism, is whale watching. Times, and attitudes change, I know that, like you, my attitude towards whaling has changed. I also agree that there is nothing wrong with modelling a whale chaser, they did exist, and in my opinion are a legitimate, and interesting, subject

I do believe it was unnecessary for you to suggest that Brian was letting his personal feelings influence his decision to moderate the post. Do you know Brian's personal feelings on this, or any other matter? I certainly don't.

Peter.

OK Peter. Although I don't like the subject I agree with you that the more emotive bits of the "argument" should be placed in the "Chit-Chat" section. So although I will apologize to Brian, the subject of building whalers or any other type of vessel that may be non-PC should not be castigated by such "PC" members. I apologize for any unintended offence caused. Bryan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.