Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is salt water bad for your models  (Read 3096 times)

ixion

Is salt water bad for your models
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:59:05 pm »

Is salt water bad for sailing? I usually sail in a freshwater lake but there is a salt water lake a mile away, would this be bad for my models or is extra maintenace requied after sailing/ Does anyone  sail in salt water? Thanks.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Is salt water bad for your models
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 10:03:23 pm »

Are you sailing yachts, scale models, fast electric or IC?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

ixion

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 10:05:19 pm »

Are you sailing yachts, scale models, fast electric or IC?

Scale models (Tugs)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:13:55 pm »

Ixion, the blackpool and fylde club sail routinely in salt water, and I have sailed there, just be sure to keep on top of maintainence after every sail.  Malcom Frary has had a flower class corvette that has done 25 years on 1 propshaft!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:14:33 pm »

xion
Initially you wont see hardly any difference, but over time there will be added maintenance.
If you are not using your model for a while you will have to remove the shaft(s) and drop the rudder to clean and regrease.
A lot of the shafts are not made of high grade Stainless so will pit if the salt water is allowed to remain inside the shaft(s).
If paintwork isn't protected the salt can leach into it which will leach out as everything dries out.
Yes this does happen with gloss paint, it is why full size ships wash down with fresh water.
Some fittings made of white metal can corrode unless painted.
If you get Salt Water inside your model, remove with a syringe and flush with fresh water.
Yes some will say I sail on salt water and don't have any problems but others do.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:16:10 pm »

Malcom Frary will be able to give you the best pointers, he's a salty modeller :)

Gemini in salty water :)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:44:48 pm »

Ixion, our club's lake is salt water, so I sail in it all the time. As Bob (Shipmate 60) pointed out, you just have to be on top of your maintenance. We have a washing table at the lake, with fresh water laid on, so we always wash down after each sail, then wipe down with a chamois. All my prop shafts are grease packed, so I don't have an issue there, but the rudder shafts need to be removed and greased occasionally to prevent brass to brass corrosion. In 5 years of operating in salt water I have only had one problem, and that was with a rudder shaft.

None of the paintwork on any of my models has been adversely affected by the salt water, but I believe that's because I am aware of the potential for damage, and make sure the boats are well cleaned after each outing.

Peter.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:25:58 am »

Ixion, the blackpool and fylde club sail routinely in salt water, and I have sailed there, just be sure to keep on top of maintainence after every sail.  Malcom Frary has had a flower class corvette that has done 25 years on 1 propshaft!
Slip of the thumb there Ghost, it was 5 years.  More regular maintenance might have helped, but the wear and tear was more due to the silt than the salt.  The bearings were OK, it was wear on the shaft that got beyond a joke.  I agree with the other comments, unpainted metal suffers, some paint can suffer, but I have yet to do anything serious with the paint on my Snowberry and that was Humbrol enamel, matt, no layers of varnish.  Any salt getting into joins between small parts can and will eventually cause the join to fail, presumably due to crystals forming and mechanically pushing them apart.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

ixion

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:33:58 pm »

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The long Build

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:37:30 pm »

My model swims alright in it.. :} :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.